Your Bleeding Edge Tester - rF2 Works on Windows 10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Sep 30, 2014.

1. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

Any idea if vsync can be turned off for the desktop?

In Win7 I just switch between aero and classic.

The reason I need this is because I watch online sport on browsers using silverlight. If vsync is enabled the number of dropped frames makes it unwatchable. Switching to classic brings some tearing but far fewer dropped frames.

I had read a comment saying vsync was always enabled in W10.

2. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Interesting to hear about Win10 - I am on 8.1 and all fine. Only issue for me is booting with some devices on in the usb ports. But has been stable on my rig. I was v badly burned by Windows Me back in the day. That was awful to the power of ****e.

3. OldDarth

OldDarth Registered

Using Windows 10 without any issues.

4. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

But that's the point I don't get. At work I spent this time to get 8 running/looking like 7. Just today actually I finally found a decent "Open With" dialogue (not the default 8 one which always wants to send you to MS Store).

So yeah, it can be done. But why spend that time making 8 perform/look like 7 if I can stick with 7 to start with?

5. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Because 8 brings to the table some improvements.

I remember thinking much the same when 7 came out and I was still on xp.
    Didn't think much of 7 because I was always 'lost' looking for things.
    Once familiarized with 7 there was no going back to xp,7 is way better than xp.

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I used to try very hard to make new OSs look like old ones but finally gave up and now I just try to stick as close to the defaults as possible. The new start menu in Win8 isn't all that bad really. But really I haven't used the start menu ever since Win7. I just hit the Win key on the keyboard, type a few letters and then hit enter. I'm liking Win10 so far. I'm running it on a few machines now. I really don't like that they ditched the "Favorites" folder in the navigation pane and replaced it with this new "Quick access" thing. I used to have a bunch of shortcuts over there and I could name them how I liked and arrange them in any order I wanted. Now it alpha sorts and you can't rename shortcuts. This can be a pain if you have network locations like c$ pinned.

BTW, my Open With dialog in Win8.1 and now in Win10 doesn't force me to the app store. It lists common apps with a link at the bottom that says "More options". You click that and it lists more apps on your own PC. Then if you scroll all the way down you see an option to look for a new app in the app store but just under that there is another link that says "Look for another app on this PC" which then brings up a browse dialog where you can pick any EXE you want.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

lol yeah gotta watch that sneaky sucker, " daddy why is your PC saying updating to W10, all i did is press ok...... ???" hehehe

Hypothetically if you had a spare Hard Drive John I can explain how to image it with your OS, upgrade to W10 through update, recover the product key and make a bootable USB drive of the W10.

Then you have W10 and key for any other PC, if you don't use a MS account even better.

I don't know what version of W7 you have only 64Bit, if you have Home you get Home if you have Pro or Ultimate you get Pro

Time is running out for your free copy, Home is selling for $159 and Pro $229

You can buy either Kingston 60GB SSD or a 500GB Blue Sata for $59 at PCCG

Then you could run either W7 or W10 independent and test W10 with sims when you not busy.

8. Lou Is

Lou Is Banned

Probably in the past this was a common issue. Did that from 7 to 10 without problems

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Famous last words, hope you got your product key and thumb drive just in case. :)

I have to agree with BT any chance you get to do a fresh install is a good thing.

You get the opportunity to never install those things you wish you didn't, fresh install all latest hardware drivers rather then update on update. etc etc

Trick is having all the stuff you need off C:\Drive that is possible to drop back into a fresh drive..... ... rF2 credentials included. :)

You be amazed how many programs you can get to run standalone.

When archived in pathed backups you can copy/paste the lot to a fresh drive and say, save running many install routines, deleting excess icons and crap
    and less entry's in add/remove programs.

There are many Windows settings and things you can save you mostly likely go and redo all again.

Windows "back up all settings" is garbage better if you learn what every folder in every folder is and what can run off a clean drive.

Makes a "full" fresh install easy work.

10. Lou Is

Lou Is Banned

I agree with that too but wanted to give a microsoft a chance. I did a image backup before, just in case, but everything worked fine.

11. stonec

stonec Registered

W10 has real improvements under the hood over W7. Things like lower battery consumption (since W8) and support for high DPI displays, which is essential if you buy a new laptop. On my desktop rig improvements to multi-screen usage are immediately obvious, virtual desktops is a nice feature as well. It's a six years newer OS after all, there are more things to it than the start menu changes that everyone obsesses about.

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well you get free W10 Home Edition ( as you have W7 Home )
    W10 Pro for all intended purposes has features you do not really need for sim tower, much like W7.

Is it worth it , I do not think you comprehend what I said exactly John.

If you did it the way I suggest you would end up with a free W10 Home at worst.

Without losing your W7 install as it exists there are only 3 ways to go about.

1. Use and be competent with image software like True Image.

So you can run W10 update and if you do not like restore your W7 exactly as it was in a matter of minutes ( depending on the size of your OS of course )

2. Use 2 hardrives, I meant only as a way to get a feel for W10 in your spare time to make up your mind
    and find fixes for apps and software , etc.

BTW John with sata should be no need to unplug anything, just disable individual sata ports in bios and boot.

3. Run the W10 "Restore to W7" feature .......... I highly recommend not relying on this.

You can try W10 for a period but once you commit to it within a MS account you would lose use of your W7.......or so it goes. lol ;)

I love W7 sim drive , W10 had me 98% hooked but to get it the way I liked I was really only turning off everything and adding apps like Classic shell or registry hack for old picture viewer to do it.

Most stuff felt snappier and looked a little cleaner

Did rF2 run better, not for me, it actually was buggy but I could put that down to drivers, NV inspector settings or 101 other things.

13. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I'm a very strong supporter of the "it's not broken so don't fix it" on some things, and that's why I don't go Win10. For me there is no need to do it for now.
    If rF2 don't go DX12 (won't happen anyway) I'll only go Win10 when Reiza release their next title

14. stonec

stonec Registered

So that means you will rather pay for the upgrade than do it while you can for free? (free upgrade ends July 2016). I would recommend anyone thinking of upgrading to W10 to do it by that date. By the time W10 has been out for a year and most early bugs ironed out.

15. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

So why jump on it now? Lots of things to happen till July. Till there I can see if Win10 (or next Reiza sim, they should have previews by then) really worth it.

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+1

Even to give it a test run, get a copy and key even if you reinstall / restore W7, what odds, why wait.

@stone
    I think too many people are constrained by fear or laziness of rebuilding a few fresh OSes ? hehehe

Nothing to be scared about PC won't bite. lol :)

I got mine straight away and have used it 10/12 times testing diff stuff when slightly bored.
    Restore images of W7 and W10 with basic apps and tools takes 3 minutes on a old slow 60GB Force3 SSD.

On a Samsung evo would be 60 seconds.........so 2 minutes to swap from 1 OS to another.

I know people take longer then that to get a case side off and swap hard drives leads. hehehe

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2015
  17. Flaux

Flaux Registered

A bit OT but all those win updates, do they cost performance? Some of them? Any?

I always wondered why my performance seem to vary from time to time. Could it be this?

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Most are security updates.

If you like me and don't use windows defender, av or malware what is updates going to help ? hehehe

I don't install MediaPlayer, IExplorer, mail, or any other MS gadgets so any updates security or otherwise for those would be wasted.

But I am with you I think it is possible you can get slowness from updates.

Service Packs 1 weed out some gremlins
    I think fresh W7 SP1 and XP SP1 a like ran very good on for sims.

19. Lou Is

Lou Is Banned

Windows 8 is to windows 10 like windows vista was to windows 7
    :)
    And millenium was to xp :p