Your Bleeding Edge Tester - rF2 Works on Windows 10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Not that this matters, since anecdotal evidence means nothing, but my experience is limited to 400+ SDD installations using Win 7 (desktops).

Yeah, DD can have that effect when he shows up - ya there DD? ;) On top of that, and some may find this disturbing, I think I agree with him.

It's no secret that I have no love for Win 8/10 either ...

View attachment 14500

From what I've read, Windows 8 does deliver slightly improved gaming FPS - nothing to write home about and possibly attributable to better management of services and background tasks. I assume this will also be the case with Win 10. Would be interesting if you could verify this with rF2 and Win 10.

Latest quote from one of my colleagues ...

"After installing Windows 10 and then comparing it to Windows 7 Ultimate, the feeling is like that of upgrading from a Ferrari to a 1984 Yugo."

A prior quote ...

"Upgrading to Win 8 is analogous to paying a lot of money for a sh**ty paint job."

2. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I remember similar statements (and worse) from XP fans when Win7 came out ;)

3. scott420247

scott420247 Registered

Giving 10 a try seems ok so far.. quick question is there a way to boot straight to desktop without entering a password every time?

4. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Bring up Run and type "netplwiz" without the quotes. Hit enter.

When the box comes up, uncheck "users must enter a username and password" then click apply.

It will ask you to enter your current PW. Enter it and click OK and you're done.

5. scott420247

scott420247 Registered

Thanks man

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

loool ;)

imho

Windows 8 is probably the worst operating system MS ever released ( and I have used them all from DOS ) , at least Vista had some resemblance of compatibility.

Windows 10 is nothing more then Windows 8.2

You want to waste your money on 8, 8.1 and now 8.2, knock yourself out.

Won't help your sims.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2014
  7. Connor Caple

Connor Caple Registered

I have been using Window 10 for several weeks now. rF2 (for me) will only run in Windows 10 if I set it to 'Windowed' mode. In fullscreen I get no image.

Windows 10 does feel a lot like Windows 8, with a start menu and a desktop background. *shrugs* I hope Microsoft realise soon that a lot of us just want to run games on their OS, not dumb apps or touchscreens, and that it needs more work.

I switched back to Windows 7 for gaming, yet again... :cool:

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+1

.........for gaming being the operatives words

I may lighten description to for DX9 sims even.

I think games that support W8 and DX10/11 well are going to play as good if not better in W10.

But like I said , different strokes for different folks ....... ;)

I do not play shooters nor have outright graphics grunt I would
    require to be happy with overall FPS and smoothness in high end DX10/11 titles.

I don't use devices, I do not even own a mobile phone or ipod, ever..( I know, how wierdo ) ... loool

I don't like realtime community sites or using a credit card online.

Breath DD breathe ....... loool

The only thing I use in a Nvidia driver is the Display.Driver folder, ie: so nothing else which could maybe be improved with a later OS , then Windows 7 ....... ie: 3D, triple screens, steaming, etc....

I like a tiny teenie weenie OS lol
    I get my W7 HP under 20GB so " my perfect tested ready to go sim OS true image" take less then 3 minutes to backup and restore.

Windows 8 can be a bloat-fest you let it have its way.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2014
  9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

?? I have a desktop background and a start menu in my Windows 8.1. I don't have anything regarding touchscreens. I don't have any apps, I don't see any app-screens, nothing regarding apps happens or becomes activated on my PC. So I'm not sure what you mean. It sounds like you have a "straight out of the box without spending some time to change a couple settings" version of Windows installed. That's like playing a sim and saying it sucks because you didn't take some times to change any graphics settings, any FFB settings, any car settings, etc.

It seems most people who dislike Win 8 are ones who don't know how to, or just don't want to, literally spend one single day (not even a day, heck, hardly even an hour) changing some settings. Seriously, this Win 8 thing is one of the most over-blown, misunderstood things in all of PC software history. It's beyond ridiculous.

My PC looks, acts, and feels just like Windows 7 since about 1 hour after I installed it, plus, Win 8.x takes much better advantage of multiple threads than previous editions of Windows, and it is capable of up to DirectX 11.2.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2014
  10. Connor Caple

Connor Caple Registered

Nice try Spinelli. I was an alpha and beta tester for Windows 8. We told MS what needed to change, they ignored us.

They ignored us for 12 months and then released it to well deserved universal hatred from desktop users.

The fact that you have to 'modify' Windows 8 to make it useful and that Windows 10, out of the box, finally behaves as Windows 8 should have says it all really.

Yes, they also took away the dumb-ass pop-up menu at the bottom right of the screen which we told them to get rid of.

Yes, I've been testing this one too and giving them feedback, but I won't hold my breath after the Windows 8 fiasco. I'm sure Stardock loved it with their instantly available "5 Bucks for a Start Menu" app. :cool:

Windows 10 is fairly good, and can be used without an hour spent to set it up, but its gaming support (even with DX12) is still lacking. I often find games that won't launch full screen and have to be windowed, even though it eliminates the borders. I'm an AI coder, I worked in the industry for years, I know what I like.

I still cannot believe there are real users willing to defend Windows 8. Really. I don't believe it - someone is paying them...

11. regged

regged Registered

I'm with Spinelli on this, Windows 8.1 just takes a hour or two to customize and it looks and behaves just like Windows 7. I have a bunch of usual applications and adjustments I always install, so it didn't really take me any more time installing Windows 8.1 than it would have taken to install 7 again.

Installing Windows 10 is just asking for problems with drivers and support, although some people will do it just for the sake of it - personally I much prefer a stable, supported environment. Slating Windows 8.1 seems to be the fashion though....

There is a cost implication to upgrading and I wouldn't have paid £50+ quid to upgrade to 8.1, specially as I have it looking and behaving just like Windows 7.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I stand by what I said, my Win 8.1 doesn't behave, "feel", look, or act any different to Windows 7 from the user's point of view. Most people don't even know I'm not running Win 7. The whole Win 8.x fiasco blows my mind.

13. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Windows 8 was/is far superior to Win 7. Period.

Made the switch while Win 8 was still in pre-release and never looked back. I'm not being paid.

Good lord you people with your start menu fetishes are hilarious.

BTW, none of my games in Win10 run in windowed mode. They all run full screen, no issues whatsoever.

14. Connor Caple

Connor Caple Registered

As a Games Dev, I'll disagree there, but if you like it, good for you. I've seen too many issues with games messing up, even our own, on Win8 systems.

I can only assume my Win10x64 has not correctly installed some dependency then that certain games, like rF2, are looking for or has messed something else up. Since it gives me no clues as to what is causing the issue, I have been unable to do anything other than report it.

Like all sensible coders, I did a vanilla install on a clean partition, fully upgraded/patched/drivered the system and then installed games without adding anything that might interfere in the beta process, such as the System toolkits which I have on my work rigs to maintain stability/backups.

15. zerocool

zerocool Registered

This thread should have been locked once you confirmed RF2 was working and you fixed the 5.1 surround issue.
    Now we have people commenting that Win8 is actually a good OS....hahaha.
    Mods- please end this nonsense and lock the thread, it's going nowhere fast...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2014
  16. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Just an FYI

Last Wednesday Microsoft released a "Feature Full" version of Windows 10 (build 10074) free to download. Final version to be released at the end of July. Basically it's their Release Candidate.

Nvidia now lists Windows 10 drivers on their site.

Final version of Win 10 will be free for Win 7/8 users who upgrade within the first year.

I'm running the latest build and it's very nice. To be cliche, "It's what Win 8 should have been" :p Did I mention it will be FREE?

Driver compatibility is pretty much a non-issue now.

Jump aboard guys! :cool:

17. yusupov

yusupov Registered

yep, i had some issue w/ updating & was stuck on the initial build i DL'd (months ago). after so many crashes & seeing nvidia released win10 drivers (that wouldnt take) i finally formatted & reinstalled so im on this RC-ish build, quite a change even from the earlier one, for the better. not so bad having a clean install either, i THINK ive already done most of the headachey stuff so i should soon just be left with that fresh clean feeling. :) would def recommend it now if youre curious.

18. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Was just checking out ebay for a cheap win8.
    Came across a cheap one from germany.
    Translated the page and it mentioned upgrade to win 10 is free for 1st year.

So dug a little deeper and found out it's free from win7 also :)
    Then come here to post good news and it's already known of course haha
    I must have been ill this day........:rolleyes:

Where's this free download?
    going to give it a try :cool:

19. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

FYI, I've been running Windows 10 as primary OS for a while now. No real issues. Because of Windows 8 I don't tend to use the start menu (which is there in Win10 again, though a little different). I create toolbars and shortcut everything I want in those to access from the start menu.

Little things like having a FULL taskbar on each screen in triples, etc, are really great.

Only issue I guess I could say I've had throughout the whole period was two nVidia driver crashes.