CPU Performance / Windows Performance Plan ( Min/Max CPU Speed, Core Parking, etc.)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Avo1977

Avo1977 Registered

Yep. Performance decrease is proportional to CPU speed

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Linearly? I.e. 10% less cpu speed = 10% lower fps?

3. Avo1977

Avo1977 Registered

Almost

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Makes sense since one of your cores is at 100% constantly. Outside of rf2, how much is being utilised? Just wondering if there may be something else at play causing the cpu to become the bottleneck when perhaps it should not.

Have you also tried testing with "Max Pre-rendered frames" = "1" by any chance?

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well mate it would be a start if you could give us info in your specs :)

There is quite a number of ASRock Z77 mobos some have good phase power, heatsinks, capacitors.........others not so good.

From there the next thing we do is do a sweep of AsRock forum for specific thread on your Motherboard and Overclocking Sandybridge.

For instance here is the first thread I used to get my 2500K stable 5GHz@1.36v , I had read the thread before I even got the parts home. :)

( First Motherboard )
    http://www.overclock.net/t/963798/msi-p67a-gd55-review-and-oc-guide

http://www.overclock.net/t/917857/msi-p67a-gd80-gd65-gd55-gd53-owners-club-discussion-info-thread

(2nd Motherboard)

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=159647.0

So lets get cracking ! you have some decent potential there , what we first need to do is find how good your processor runs
    power wise, the less voltage it can run stable more likely headroom you will have.

Then you step up the base clock speed increasing the voltage for stability.

Find the acceptable voltage and clockspeed and knock it back 10%.

That is what I do anyways.

Like my Sandbridge did 5.1GHz baseline air tests and I run 4.5GHz to give it headroom.

Now some 2500K won't even do 4.5GHz stable it depends on the bin among other factors.

So with a Processor like that I would still run 10% slower no where near my current 4.5Ghz.

Point being you find you limit then knock it back a tad.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2014
  6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

In my opinion, just leave the voltage and everything at default (which is automatic), and go set your CPU multiplier to 4.2. Sandy Bridge are usually good for at least 4.2-4.3 without even touching voltages and all that. Also, try enabling PLL Overvoltage (in your BIOS) - if you need stability - before messing with voltages and stuff.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Sure you could overclock Genie my Processor to 4.5GHz and 4.4GHz on respective mobos ( P67 was better )

( have a look at 2nd thread the info list, oh here it is again p ......... how many you see running air 5Ghz@1.36volt on a Hyper+ cooler. )
    http://www.overclock.net/t/917857/ms...on-info-thread

Screenshot cropped : don't want to bore you with the whole double page tests lol

So from that testing I run 4.5GHz@1.28v stable, ( by manually under volting ) other 2500K just won't do that mate.

That is how we find our individual limits and best cooling combos.

You want to know what my Stock or Genie auto overclock voltages peaked at ?
    That pushed Hydro cooling up to 5C higher then what I attained in the end a few hours testing.

Both my boards with the Genie it was up to 1.4v !!! pushing temps for no good reason. !!!

wtf ? ;) why would I do that ? please explain hehehe

Anyway assuming he has nice ambient temps at home, he has H100 , cooling won't be a issue whatsoever, still don't mean you need to push voltage needlessly. Less voltage can prolong chip and component life too.

8. Avo1977

Avo1977 Registered

Already tested max pre-rendered frames at 1 and no difference at all.

The only other game I got is Assetto Corsa but it's not significant 'cause it reaches 100% cpu occupancy in much powerful rigs...

In any case what kills performances the most are 'soft particles' and 'special effects'. Maybe those are calculate by cpu instead of gpu

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Not genie auto-overclock!! Don't ever use that crap!!! Massive overvolt, temps, everything. Stay away from auto-overclock crap! Lol.

10. Thepharcyde

Thepharcyde Registered

Excuse my ignorance, but how does this differ to software like ThrottleStop? Under load my CPU stays at it's max state.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Win 7 or 8/8.1?

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I agree with you but on the other hand you being a bit of a drama queen ...... hehehe ;)

Take coops, with the 2600K , H100 cooling and a decent motherboard OC genies will give a newbie O/Cer a look at the settings they use in bios at very least.

Wont hurt to idle away at higher voltages and see what temps it gets to for 10 minutes and record what voltage it uses, ram timings etc etc.

For Sandybrige 2500K-2600K and H100 cooling 1.3v is completely safe 24/7 I do 4.5GHz at 1.28v, he may not.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya, that genie auto oc stuff sometimes gives you insane voltages likely 1.45+ volts. It sometimes screws around with other voltages, speeds, and settings as well.

The CPUs already adjust voltage automatically out of the box without genie OC or any of that crap, because the default BIOS voltage should be "Auto". So, just go into the BIOS, set multiplier to 4.2 (or whatever), save and exit BIOS. Done.

When you get to a certain CPU frequency, the BIOS's "auto" voltage may not provide enough voltage to be stable. At that point, enable the "PLL overvoltage" option in the BIOS. If still not stable, then only then should he start to need to adjust the v-core himself. He shouldn't need to do that until probably 4.3 or 4.4 Ghz.

14. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Thank you Spinelli! I OC'd my 3570K to 4GHz on stock (automatic) voltages, ran stability tests, all good :D

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

No problemo :).

If you play Battlefield 3 or 4, then joining a 64-player server is a great stability test. ASUS's RealBench is one of the best tests as well. Prime 95 and/or intel burn passing (stability and heat wise) is not necessary.