ASR Formula Open Wheel Classic

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Sderenno, Sep 28, 2014.

1. nultweezes

nultweezes Registered

Danke schön!

2. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Alsjeblief!

3. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Many thanks for doing this as this is my favorite F1 era. I will certainly make a donation soon.

Graphically it's already top notch for me, I'm very happy to drive my favorite Benetton around. Only physics and in-car engine sounds could use improvements. For example, in all the ISI cars, even with TC and ABS on highest setting you can unsettle the car with weight transfer and non-smooth steering, but in ASR 1992 I really have to try hard or turn TC to low to loose control.

Also I'm wondering, how will active suspension be handled and does ISI have any official plans on that?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015
  4. Sderenno

Sderenno Registered

5. nockitsch

nockitsch Registered

Thx for your passion and your shared cars, next two coffees on me :)

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Dunno how I feel about stepping into Senna's car, I'd rather be in Damon Hill's or David Coulthard's and leave Senna to drive his own.

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

In the name of all that is holy! One of the most beautiful cars ever, thank you so much for bringing this to us. Can't wait to try it!

8. tafkams

tafkams Registered

very nice

9. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

With respect, if that was not the case what is the driver doing?

TCS and ABS dont assist steering or weight transfer as far as I am aware. They also don't change the laws of physics. I've heard of steering assist and braking assist in games but are you really seeking an exprience where no matter how badly you point and steer the car or operate throttle and brakes it will lap smoothly?
    Is that really an area of physics shortfall? If you steer it badly it can get unsettled.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015
  10. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

You misunderstood what I was saying. I meant that the ISI cars drive properly, while the ASR cars are too forgiving.

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

ISI haven't simulated early 90's F1 though.

12. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

That's true, but with driving aids enabled I expected the older F1 cars to be less forgiving to drive than the modern ISI F1 cars.

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Never use driving aids for comparisons. I would suggest never using them at all, but you can't try to mix and match like that between mods and with aids on and off.

14. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Oh I see what you mean.

I would say that the OWC V1.70 1992 is too easy to drive but still great fun.
    Whereas the 1991 cars, both the McLaren and the Ferrari are quite demanding and the V1.80 of the 1992 season is more demanding again. Same great sights and sounds but much harder to drive fast (in a good way). Interlagos it was about 5 sec slower.

I drive with no assists as its IMO the only way to feel the car properly and recently we did a 30 minute race at Historic Monaco in the 1991 cars. 2 out of 7 drivers managed to complete the race and personally I was exhausted from the intense concentration.
    So the remark about being too easy IMO can only be levelled at the V1.70 1992 cars.

15. Henry Kelsall

Henry Kelsall Registered

16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

If you find ASR 1992 too easy and too forgiving, then you are not going fast enough ;)

17. Sderenno

Sderenno Registered

18. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

1.8 was an improvement yes, but still too forgiving. I test with TC and ABS enabled to not let power oversteer and wheel locking cloud my judgement of the general handling of the car, but I also test with assists disabled.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2015
  19. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

A car doesn't have to be easy or difficult to drive or push, it's about how it is recreated. Probably none of us should come within .3-.5s of pole position times from the era, regardless of sim vs real life because there was a team of engineers to adjust infinite parameters of the car, and the grid had some very fine drivers especially Ayrton. The electronics in the Williams probably skew things quite a bit, and from all I have read and watched it certainly was a far less demanding task to drive the FW-14 than to drive the McLaren or Ferrari. But still, an F1 car had responsive front tire biting on corner entry, adequate downforce and good mechanical grip. Catchable corner exit wheelspins on 2nd with .1-.2s time loss if that much at all, and the need to downshift two more gears than today, brake sooner and more, and lift through corners we haven't in years in the modern open wheelers at our disposal.

20. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2015