ASR Formula Open Wheel Classic

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Sderenno, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I understand what you want, but in a hardcore sim like this (I mean realistic) you can't expect a high downforce car to be easy to setup with just three sliders.

Gears are easy to understand, I agree.

But alas, as soon as you allow changing wings, it will affect drastically dynamic ride eight and floor effect (represents 70-80 % of total downforce), and consequently equilibrium between front end and rear end in medium to high speed turns.

And then the interesting story begins:

springs, packers, dampers, ARB, third spring, optimum rake, caster, camber, tire pressures, etc.

better be a good friend of Motec and have fresh memory of the guides on how to tune an OW.

And don't try to race a modern open wheeler competitively with default setup (unless everyone else is on default setup or you are a very superior driver compared to the others). Sometimes a given setup will not be faster, but much more forgiving, easier to drive, and cause less tire wear.

I allways laugh when a very good driver takes a default setup and sets an incredible lap time with it to convince you that setups are not important (so please don't ask him to share them with you). It is true that in some cases his setup would be undrivable to a lesser driver.

A given setup will be optimal on track A, but no on track B, and as soon as you try to change things without knowing really what you do, you are in a deep mess very quickly (engineers in F1 are well paid for some reason).

The simpler cars to tune are touring cars and historics (before wings and floor effect).

A pity, but that is how it works in real life and in RF2.

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

This is beyond the mod's scope but to have pop-up text windows over each setup parameter does help, especially when they contain examples. Nascar Racing 2003 was excellent with that. Assetto Corsa has that too. Ideally every car would come with three setups, one for fast tracks, one for heavy downforce, one as a medium setup. rF2's garage system allows comparison of setups so someone can quickly see what parameters were altered to help reach that change in setup, beyond just wings and gears but also suspension stiffness and camber.

3. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Your solution is possible, three setups by car provided by the modder or the server admin.

Or the server admin provides a setup for the track you will run on, and you have the option (or not) of running with it or with yours (probably been done already). Different classification for both type of competitors if relevant.

A better UI with help for parameters would allways be welcome, but that is an another story (global lack of documentation).

Cheers.

4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Photos look superb! Are you doing the whole 96 grid? It is a season that has been largely overlooked in almost all sims!

5. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

The way Codemasters does it, they change all parameters. So basically you select on a vehicle behaviour (high, low, mid downforce, rain...) and get a complete setup affecting all other parts. In fact this could be done for RF2 if modders wanted to include setup variants for the cars (though I understand it's time consuming).

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

If I could one day race Villeneuve's 1996 Williams in rF2 I'd be one happy camper. :)

7. TJones

TJones Registered

Good post!

8. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Thanks.

9. TJones

TJones Registered

I spend some time with the F310 v0.5 this afternoon.
    This car is really amazing to drive, i could hardly imagine there is still something left to improve, physic-wise. Engine sound is great, you hear it and just think: "Yes this is a V10 formula one engine".
    Something i find really remarkable, is the response of the gas pedal. It is very progressive, making the car easier to control at corner exit.
    I miss some settings in the setup menu, (engine brake mapping, diff-pump, fast damping) but this could be due to the beta stage of the car.
    Impressive job ASR!

10. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Ditto Hex, and the benetton, jordan, minardi, etc:eek:

11. Grandi

Grandi Registered

Just had a go with the F310. Very nice work indeed, great force feedback and terrific sounds. The feel with the default set felt a little forgiving, but I'm sure it'll get more interesting when trying to pick up those final bits of time...

Posted a short vid on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlxsmneE52w

Edit: Please let me know if you (authors) feel that video on beta material shouldn't be posted on YT.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2015
  12. Sderenno

Sderenno Registered

To encourage the community who have appreciated our first version of rFactor 2 '92 Mod 1.7 LE, we decided to improve it and, although not matching the standard of our recent works, we think that this new version can easily substitute what for us was the first experiment of rFactor 2 platform, but that was also used by major community.

Go to ASR Formula Website to download and test rF2 Full 92 Season by ASR FORMULA (Version 1.8Beta):

http://www.asrformula.com/#download

[​IMG]

“We make mods in the night, $1 of coffee to stay awake”

13. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Thank you ASR what a nice move :).

ASR Website is up 2 date ? I ask because I can not find the 1.8 download link :p

14. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Scroll down, it`s the Download on the bottom

15. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

OK thx for the hint. Something went wrong in the browser cache. I tried it with a different browser and now I can see the download section of the mod.

16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Any improvements to the '92 set are appreciated. The variety of sounds and liveries is awesome and even the 1.7 was amazing fun to drive. If they are slowly moving towards more realistic grip and getting a bit of polish it can only be positive! I'm downloading right now :)

17. Sderenno

Sderenno Registered

Yes, any Video of ASR release, also beta, is very appreciated from us, thanks.

18. Andreas Forslund

Andreas Forslund Registered

Made a small donation to thank you guys because I think this mod is awesome! Keep up the good work.

19. nultweezes

nultweezes Registered

How did you guys get the password to the F310?
    I tried every other car and they are so nice so I really want to test it.

20. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Reading wouldn`t hurt...

;-)