ASR Formula Open Wheel Classic

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Sderenno, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Grandi

Grandi Registered

I'm guessing Interlagos could provide a good comparison?

2. tjc

tjc Registered

I see that the drivers hands don`t grip the wheel properly when turning, the wheel seems to "come through" the hands sometimes...

Maybe this has been fixed in the latest version but just thought I`d say. :)

3. Sderenno

Sderenno Registered

I think that only the Portugal track can be used as a right for the era of F310

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I always start with that track to test these sorts of cars.

5. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I think Grandi is right. Sao Paolo has changed less since 1996, than Estoril. The first corner is very different from the one in 1996 at Estoril.

Sao Paolo is pretty much the same layout... The pit exit is the biggest change I suppose.

6. Sderenno

Sderenno Registered

The problem isn't layout, is grip and especially the bumps

7. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Ah, all right :)

8. Sderenno

Sderenno Registered

Then, I wanted to point out another issue, the ASR team wants to make ASRs mod driveable, with a few possible setup adjustments, ready to drive, and almost alone with the default setup. It's our philosophy.
    we would not want realize mod that users spending hours and hours on the setup.

Other issue, we (ASR OWC TEAM) are simply passionate people like you, of course we would go around the world and for museums to measure the bolts of each Formula 1 Cars, but we can not, we have collected a lot of photos and information over the years, but our main source is internet, with this and a lot of ours free time and passion, we realize everything, with the hope to make happy F1 fans with the same passion of us.

9. Henry Kelsall

Henry Kelsall Registered

F310 is a joy to drive! Good grip, just feels right and the same with the MP4/8, awesome job ASR!

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Would be a dream to drive Damon Hill's 1996 Williams! :)

11. Sderenno

Sderenno Registered

is under development, but not in the short

12. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Perfect! I'm simulating the life of an F1 driver, not the life of an engineer. Not to mention that in reality, there's a huge team of engineers, as well as a database of past setups from previous years... and no single player should be expected to do that crazy work by themselves. If it can be used to gain half a second, or two laps more per tire set, then more power to our mechanically minded friends... but I want to race a car that feels as if it had been prepared by experts - because it has.

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Thank you!!!

14. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Just a good, base setup is ok and then people can fiddle with wings and gear ratios. I'd love having to overcome the challenge of properly pushing a early 90s F1 car simulation, and the work that comes with learning to tame the beast but I know my view isn't shared by everyone.

15. Sderenno

Sderenno Registered

Also the 91's cars physics will be updated very soon with a historic base physics parameters, not dw12 base, wait only a few days.

16. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I think that all type of users can and should be offered attractive RF2 cars.

No denying that the more sophisticated a sim is, the more complex it is to play, and it requires an awful lot of time to make setups and train. A real F1 or LMP1 is hugely complex.

You can have "realistic" cars that are dificult to setup and race, requiring lot of hours to master, and cars more ready to run, and easier to master. The same car with to sets of physics could do the trick (may be simply an option tire with more grip). Ligues could enforce a version or the other on their servers.

I appreciate cars coming with a good default setup like those of ASR (you can run them as is and have fun, or tweek them to have a faster but trickier car to drive).

The problem is that the radical views so often expressed in this forum make an accessible car the centre of fanatical attacks (I think of the DW12 by instance -no one obliges you to run the road course version with high wing settings and an undesteery setup-), and less skilled drivers or simply drivers having less time to dedicate to their hobby, don't dare to express their likes and wishes by fear of being ridiculed by the driving "gods".

Myself depending of time available or mood, can enjoy having a quick race with Clios, or another day spend a whole evening trying to improve a setup for a FISI on a given track.

Cheers.

17. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Effectively, ISI Portugal is one of the best tracks in my view, VLM Sebring also, ISI Interlagos is not so bad in this aspect. Many converted tracks are way to smooth, as is ISI Silverstone, cars don't fight for lateral grip, they slide continuously as if they were on a smooth glass.

Thanks again for the work of your team and your sane views on sim racing.

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

It's simple. I want a decent set-up, as though someone from Ferrari or McLaren or even a small team would give me. They don't hand the car to a race driver (team member or even a guest) with some sort of factory default non-set-up. They want the safest (these cars are too costly to play with) set-up that will go fast. The driver then helps tune the last 1% or 2% of performance.

If we want to make a race engineer sim, where the challenge is to turn a car with no set-up into something usable at 9/10ths on a race track, go for it. But current race sims are not that.

The great thing is, though, that anyone who enjoys that can still pursue their hobby without inconveniencing the rest of the population. Just randomly change all the settings and save a new "crazy" base set-up and then work your way to something that you like and that is fast. Take all the time you need. The rest of us can skip that process and get down to business.

19. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

^What he said. I know no one will call them a "Sim", but the F1 Codemaster series, as well as the SBK Motorbike titles had this right. One offers a quick selection of high/medium/low downforce engineer suggestions, the other even gave you a virtual engineer to have a multiple-choice conversation with which would then modify the setup.

Like Guimengo said, Wings and Gears are fine, that's easy to understand and play with. That's also more tactical than many other parts of setup.

20. Sderenno

Sderenno Registered

Good Idea, Humoral physic ! ;)