64 Bit version of rFactor Launcher Exe

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by otta56, Sep 26, 2014.

1. otta56

otta56 Registered

Please consider creating & publishing a 64 bit version of the rFactor 2 launch application. The current 32 bit version misreports the amount of memory on my video card (6 GB Nivida Titan is reported as 4 GB, the maximum addressable space for a 32 Bit app). As a result, the rfactor2.exe CTDs if I use any super sample anti-aliasing modes (e.g. 12S, 16S, 32S) because the amount of memory reported as available by the launcher .exe (4 GB) is less than the amount required by the SSAA modes (4 GB - 6 GB).

Thank you

2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

How does the launcher have anything to do with your graphics settings for the sim's main .exe?

3. otta56

otta56 Registered

The short story from Microsoft is:

"Microsoft DirectX games and other graphics applications must be able to get accurate values that describe the state of the graphics memory. An inaccurate graphics memory number could drastically change the game experience for the user."

A 32 bit executable has a maximum addressable memory space of 4 GB. Microsoft recommends 1 GB for the OS. That leaves 3 GB for applications and in the case of DX9 games 3GB of system memory into which to copy the graphics memory address space. DX10 & 11 use WDDM 1.0 - 1.3, a different memory mapping method that does not have the limitations of DX9. So for a 32 Bit exe, the maximum video card memory that can be accomodated is less than 3 GB although the theoretical limted of 4 GB can be reported. If an application requires more than the reported memory, you get a CTD. I suspect this is the case with rFactor 2. The 32 bit launcher reports a maximum of 4 GB of available video memory. When setting 32xS in Nvidia Inspector, the amount of memory used by the 64 bit rFactor2.exe exceeds the amount of memory reported by the 32 bit launcher resulting in a CTD (at least for me).

A 64 Bit executable has a maximum addressable memory space of 8 TB (Windows 8.1 is 128 TB). Microsoft recommends 2 GB for Windows 8. This leaves more than enough room for 4+ GB of video memory to be copied into the system memory. A 64 bit launcher may report the correct amount of video memory to the 64 bit application allowing more than 4 GB of textures to be loaded into video memory and copied into system memory as is done with DX9.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2014
  4. MJP

MJP Registered

Not sure a 64bit Launcher EXE would help in this case, my vram on my GTX970 is misreported in both 32 and 64bit rF2 EXEs as well as the rFConfig EXE.

5. otta56

otta56 Registered

64 Bit Launcher Exe.

Possibly not. This is a scenario with a video card that has more than 4 GB of memory and is running multiple screens at high resolutions (27" or 30" x3) that exceed 4 GB of memory using super sampling anti-aliasing and sparse grid array supersampling. If a 64 bit launcher correctly reports the amount of video memory to the application, it may be possible to use additional memory above 4 GB for the extra video modes available through Nvidia Inspector (in the case of Nvidia cards). Currently the application seems to recognize a maximum of 4 GB and is limited to 4xS mode (3.5 GB used @ Brianza). This appears to be set by the launcher exe which writes settings to the config.ini file. Any setting above 4xS (8xS, 16xS or 32xS) causes a CTD in my case, presumably because the amount of memory requested exceeds the amount reported by the 32 bit launcher application. Just a supposition at this point though. It will be impossible to prove or disprove without a 64 bit version of the launcher.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2014
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Do we know the launcher somehow reports the available memory to the game itself? This seems a bit of an assumption.

I actually didn't think the launcher exe reports anything. It runs the rfconfig exe which does report, but only to the user. It then writes the config file based on your settings.

Whichever game exe you run then uses those config settings.

Maybe there's some other reason those video modes don't work for you?

7. otta56

otta56 Registered

It is an assumption based on the video card memory reported in the main setup screen which seems to be handled by the rFactor2.exe 64 bit executable since the launcher or rfconfig.exe can be closed after the the rFactor2.exe comes up. That implies:

1. The 32 bit rfconfig.exe reports the amount of video memory to the 64 bit executable or,
    2. The 64 bit rFactor2.exe checks the video memory it self but is hard coded to only recognize a maximum of 4 GB of video memory.

The other video modes do work for me in rFactor 1 but use less than 4 GB of video memory so the limit in rFactor 2 is either hard coded into the 64 bit executable or reported to it by the 32 bit launcher / rfconfig.exe.

The definitive answer on why these modes don't work (at least for me) would have to come from the devs at ISI.

8. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Have you run DX Diag? It probably reports the same incorrect amount of VRam as rFactor. Many posts on the web of this happening. Windows still can't get it right. :( I am lucky , mine is reported as way more than I have. :).

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Not sure about GPU but since 64bit I have had CPU temps shoot up and running as high as Prime.

Someone else mentioned it was getting hotter though that was before 64bit and I did not agree with the comment back then.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I have a 780 Ti with 3 GB of VRAM and triples and I can run use 12xS and 16xS with no CTD, although I haven't tried 32xS

On a side-note. Are you using the "combined" AA modes (eg. 12xS, 16xS, etc.) in conjunction with / at the same time as Sparse Grid Supersampling? In case you are, try running just the "combined" AA mode, or just regular Multisampling AA + Sparse Grid Supersampling (with both - multisampling and sparse grid supersampling - set to the same sample amount). You shouldn't have to run both, either just "combined" AA or just MSAA + SGSSAA.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2014
  11. otta56

otta56 Registered

My resolution is 8000x1440 (3x 2560x1440 + bezel correction). At 4xS MSI Afterburner reports 3.5 GB used. A lower resolution or single screen allows a higher AA mode to be used while staying under 4 GB of memory so it appears that 4GB of video memory, at least in my case, is the limit.

I don't use SGSSAA with the combined modes. 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA does work since it uses less than 4 GB video memory in my case.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Go in your player.json file and set texture sharpening to 0 if you haven't tried. You may like the look and require less AA once that's set to 0.