Broadcast services

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aerobaticrug, Sep 26, 2014.

1. aerobaticrug

aerobaticrug Registered

Is there anything out there for rfactor 2? Similar to the Global Sim Racing Channel? We'd love to broadcast some of our events, but we just don't have the time ourselves or any members with any experience. Love to dip my toe in the water so to speak.

2. Jimmy Broadbent

Jimmy Broadbent Registered

Hey Aero,

Us guys at GRIP TV were responsible for the Virtual Endurance Championship broadcasts for the entirety of their last season. The highlight of series was hands down the 24 hours of Le Mans (I'll share the first part of it below)

You can also check out our other broadcasts over at our Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GripTVLive

If you have any further questions, then feel free to contact us at: contact@griptv.org

3. aerobaticrug

aerobaticrug Registered

A question to people who broadcast. How do you get around the delay with for example twitch. If we have two commentators, one broadcasting and one having to use the live stream, there is a significant delay in the stream which makes the commentary very difficult for the second commentator?

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

That is a problem for sure. The way we do it (at VEC) is let the commentators join the server as spectators so they have access to the action without latency. The machine doing the actual broadcast has TeamSpeak running and automatically joined to a Broadcaster channel. Then anyone who wants to broadcast can join that channel and start talking. To the commentary is in perfect sync with the race. The broadcast channel is password protects but it has a subchannel called the waiting room where drivers can join and wait to be invited into the main channel for interviews.

Hope that helps a little.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2014
  5. aerobaticrug

aerobaticrug Registered

Thanks Noel, I thought that might be the case. We've been hunting for a second commentator for ages only to find one who doesn't have rfactor 2. Which poses the problem. Ah well! Back to the drawing board

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The only other thing I can think of is to try Livestreamer to view your Twitch stream. It tends to have a little less lag than the website does. But the encoder/broadcaster also introduces some lag too. So it's sort of impossible to completely reduce the lag if you can't join as a spectator.

Livestreamer is great though. Not only does it normally have less lag but the stream is dramatically smoother than the crap flash based player on the Twitch. Check out Livestreamer here:
    http://livestreamer.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

Oh yeah and if you view with Livestreamer you will not have those annoying interruptions.... you know what I am talking about. Hehe

Here is an example command line for viewing Jimmi's stream, when it's live. Note the word "source" at the end of the command line. That tells it which stream to select.:
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Livestreamer\livestreamer.exe" http://www.twitch.tv/griptvlive source
    You can make a shortcut on your desktop and totally avoid the website.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2014
  7. aerobaticrug

aerobaticrug Registered

Thanks Noel, I'll have a look at that