rFactor 2 Build 860 Now Available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Hi guys,

Any ideas on why my server is listed in grey after i clicked it?

[​IMG]

2. speed1

speed1 Banned

That is true but on the contrary do you believe the changelog would always be complete. I do not.

3. stonec

stonec Registered

That is true, few times underlying bigger changes were not mentioned at all in build notes. Having said that, I got confirmation from ISI dev there has been no graphic engine changes since mid July. Still here are many people claiming they get better FPS now, which demonstrates this placebo effect. ISI could as well release an empty build and still people here would say "it seems to run smoother", "more vibrant colors", or "physics are more refined".

4. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Not sure it's a placebo effect according below post I quoted (including mine). Whatever is written in the change log, Physics has been changed for sure according Tim remark, physics drive FFB, so FFB feel different:

Change log:
    - Ride height measurement (for aerodynamics and telemetry output) is no longer affected by vertical offsets in the undertray feelers. This was done so that the physics is more consistent between the player vs. the AI. This slightly affects the physics for the Nissan 370Z and it is possible that it affects some 3rd-party cars. Also, we fixed the HDV parameter CorrectedInnerSuspHeightRear to work with rear axles, and eliminated the hacky AIEvenSuspension and AITorqueStab variables.

Could be this?

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

How does it demonstrate anything though? are you assuming only graphical tweaks influence fps?

There's quite a few things that can influence performance, moreover it depends on a system how things run. I for one have gone up and down on builds, one build why-not-crank-up-the-settings-supersmooth and a next build omg-this-is-stutter-hell.
    A minor change in how online skins are transferred can have a big impact. CPU loads do influence performance. online traffic does influence performance.
    Replays that get some dodgy code removed can make a major difference.
    rf2 being less responsive to background proggy's,
    ffb that suddenly makes things much better and improves the driving experience.

There seems to be quite a few big/medium/small changes that happen throughout development and from the Interview we can see the dev's have had more or less carte blanche plus we don't always get informed on what's going on.

So the placebo effect people always point to might well be different systems reacting differently to updates. I once had to adjust my setups after a new build because it no longer worked well enough (mainly gearing) because literally nothing had changed performance wise on that build...lopl

Besides, fps can be measured can't it? if I go from 40 to 70 under the same conditions with a new build.....surely something happened?

Dev-freedums probably is one of the reasons for this, things get improved all the time so it seems but we regularly do not know what's going on, just that it seems to get better and better from most. imo that's a big part of the placebo effect. something improved but we don't know what, and maybe we should not have to know :)

6. stonec

stonec Registered

Right, and that's why I can't really give much meaning to random reports on forum saying "fps has improved with build xxx". There are simply too many variables; most likely user did not test build A and build B under same conditions. Maybe user had more background programs running, maybe user had skin transfers running as you say. Already adding different number of AI cars has impact on FPS.

Ideal test would be offline under similar conditions on build A, then build B, using same track and car. With this sort of testing, I have gotten 0 FPS increase since around last winter on every build. There are simply too many variables, so what most people report here has no meaning at all due to this variance.

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Indeed, but to call everything placebo....

8. speed1

speed1 Banned

........can't be true as well. Howsoever, rf2 feels no more as good to me as it did hundred's of build numbers before when suddenly this strange tire feeling occured and even then it hardly anyone has noticed but in all honesty, the current feeling i absolutly don't like. It just makes it worse and more unnatural as it already was the case with some cars in my opinion.

9. stonec

stonec Registered

I'm not talking about changes in FFB feeling, those are probably more objective and easier to assess than FPS difference, due to less varying factors. But to be honest these forums were full of complaining about rattling FFB offroad some year and half ago, especially with Formula 2 car where you really felt the jolts too much in my opinion. Now very few people seem to complain about FFB in general.

10. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Fixed this. Its because my vmod file is on the wrong folder. It was on my other rf2 installation package folder. I copied it out and paste it in the current folder. Its ok now

11. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Noticed that the ingame 'car select' feature is no more :((

12. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Is somebody experiencing freeze frames due to rF2 not working anymore because I am. I had this before every now and then but with this build i'm having it more often. Anybody idea's? Is it the sim or my system and better what to do☺.

Edit: it happens on-line, dunno about off-line because i don't use off-line ;). Mostly it happens in game while hitting "race" button.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Let me guess, NVIDIA?

14. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Yep Spinelli

15. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

1. If you are using Geoforce Experiance, uninstall it and see if it helps.
    2. Clean OS registry etc.
    3. Uninstall Nvidia drivers, use some third party software, do this in safe mode, install latest Nvidia drivers(344.11) as usual.

16. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Option 1 and 3 i have done Ari. Cleaning OS registery....hmm never done that and not sure if i'm capable enough to do so. Do you have a software suggestion which could do that in a save way for me

17. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I am using SpyBot: http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/

PS. You find free for private use in the bottom of the page.

18. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Thanks Ari. I'm at work right now but when I'm back home tonight i'll give it a try and report back here

19. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Spybot for cleaning the registry?

20. Mini Schnauzer

Mini Schnauzer Registered