rFactor 2 Build 860 Now Available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Sep 19, 2014.

1. speed1

speed1 Banned

I did a fresh install with the lite build and tested everything on standard. It is unfortunately the same result, the cars loosen there specific steering characteristic what made them something special in a static environment with just the ffb, and cornering feels like a constant force without much of an variation. :confused:

The tires feel wolly, hardly any load ( under extrem suspension travel ) and bite to feel. I already had the feeling with some other cars i've previously driven, that the steering charecteristic is changed but now the cars feel almost all similar ( only difference are pulling forces and grip factor ) on the steering without much of an difference what made each one something special for there own before. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2014
  2. TypicalAnalytical

TypicalAnalytical Banned

Did some more tests this a.m. after sleeping on it and 60s formula cars all still feel different from last build and in a good way. I am particularly pleased with the Spark F2 which before always felt like tires were low profile or something. It is hard to describe but the F2 tires always felt more square and steering wheel auto-centering too much or something like that and less like compliant rubber like the F3 clearly feeling the best (of course narrower, rounder tires) and the F1 feeling pretty good too by comparison but now F2 is feeling much better and very unlikely that is placebo because I have spent hours in the past trying to dial out that "square tire" feeling and now is completely gone :)

3. Alexease

Alexease Registered

?!?!?!?!

rf2-build860-vmemory.jpg

My config: Intel Q9550, 4GByte DDR2 RAM, ASUS 780GTX 3Gb

4. CRex

CRex Registered

I'm excited about these features:

- Added an “AI setup” button to the “car tuning” page so that one can set the upgrades the AI should use for a specific track.
    - Can set AI setup (select the AI from the grid, then select the setup you want from the garage, and hit the set to AI button), and it takes next time the car enters the garage

But I haven't found out where to do this. In the car selection / tuning menu there's a greyed out "AI Edit" button. I must be looking in the wrong section... :confused:

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I can't say for sure, but you may be on to something here.

Tyre lock-up: My driving in the "classic" F3s seems to have suffered due to it being even more difficult to feel brake lock-up in this new build. I was fully locked up like a maniac multiple times, and I didn't even know it until I turned the wheel and my car kept going straight, even when starting to turn and being just slightly locked or being on the verge, it seemed to be transmitted even less to the FFB.

Understeer: Long left-hander at Monaco at the top of the uphill (turn 2?), absolutely nothing changes in my wheels FFB as I go from turning slightly and having lots of grip remaining, to getting close to the front tyre grip limit, to starting to understeer, to understeering massively into the wall, absolutely nothing changes in my FFB, and no it's not clipping.

Now...I'm using my player.json file and controller file from the previous build (b798), so maybe I should have the game rebuild the b860 player and controller files, but I have a feeling that won't do much, if anything, as my FFB settings were almost all default anyways.

This is why some elements of the rF1 style FFB were great. When FFB is dead, or just not to your liking, you can tune it. I want my wheel to start getting limper and lighter as I loose more and more front tyre grip, but even more importantly, I want to tune at what point of slip it starts getting lighter, and also, I want to tune at what rate it get's lighter and lighter as the slip becomes more and more. This all also affects at what point, and at what rate, the FFB starts to come back in and tighten up as you regain grip/decrease slip, and more importantly when it's going both ways - quickly and minutely decreasing and increasing grip/slip as you work the fine line so minutely and carefully at very small differences of slip angles, especially during braking, corner entry, and mid corner. You can tune all this to your liking in rF1 and other ISI based sims (I believe the new Raceroom update even implemented some of it in-game instead of just in the notepad controller file). Also, having the ability to tune the FFB to just overall be more front tyre focused, and less rear focused would be great. In rF1 you could tune how much the FFB was influenced by front tyre grip/slip VS rear tyre grip/slip; I used to have it much more towards front tyre as I don't do big powerslides often, and I am constantly on the limit of the front tyre grip, especially during braking, turn-in, and mid corner, and I need the FFB to be MUCH, MUCH, more front tyre focused - I can afford for it to be less rear roation focused. Tons I can tune in rF1 in order to tell me what I need to know, when I need to know, and how I need to know, throughout the entire cornering phase - it has to be for both lateral loads (turning) AND longitudinal (braking/lock-up). It felt much less natural and much less real than rF2, and I wouldn't recommend it to people as default and "out of the box" because most will probably think it feels worse, "bad", and unrealistic, but just having the option for whoever wants to tune it would be great for those who would like to mess around with it.

In rF1 I could get away with more front brake bias and a stiffer front, because I could feel the limit of brake lock up and entry to mid-corner understeer perfectly from the way I tuned the FFB in the controller file. In rF2 I have to set the brake bias more rearwards, and a more oversteery setup - suspension wise - with a softer front-end, or else I just understeer too much and lock brakes too easily because I can't ride that super fine line of the limit like I can in rF1 because I can't customize the FFB like in rF1 to make me feel things exactly how I want/need to feel them.

If you don't like it then don't use it, but lots of people would love to have more flexibility with FFB and what car/tyre behavior comes through to the FFB, and also how that behavior comes through.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2014
  6. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I would recommend to add 4GB RAM to unleash the power of the 780GTX. The config looks a bit strange. ;)

7. TJones

TJones Registered

@CRex

These are two different features.

The first one you're able to select the car configuration for a specific track. ISI track/car combinations should be already pre defined, for example Indy-car at Indy curcuit.
    But for third party content you should be able to select which car configuration to use at a track. Usage is, first select track, than goto car -> tuning, choose the car config you want to use and Klick on "Force Setup" Button. That means you and all AI-cars now use the selected car-config at this track.

With the second feature, you are able to assign a specific car-setup. This have to be done when you alreay in the "Box" menu at a location. Just select the AI from the grid, then select the setup you want from the garage, and hit the set to AI button. This specifc AI-car should use now the setup you assigned.

8. CRex

CRex Registered

Thanks alot. Will try this.

EDIT: it would be nice though if we could set let's say tire compound for all participants in one click, not one by one each race.

9. Justy

Justy Registered

10. speed1

speed1 Banned

I know what you mean and i agree with you. There was a build a long time ago where the rf2 ffb suddenly changed but not to the better at all and we had the feeling it started to feel more wolly and spongy on the tires. Maybe it was the very first change of the tire patch or ffb physic, i don't know. That never changed from there on anymore but now i have again the feeling with some cars that it becomes partly more bad with the suspension/steering updates or whatever is going on behind the scenery. I just hope the tire patch update isn't far away and will change it to the better again. :(

edit: the other thing what destroyed the ffb over the time in general is the crying about the center force ( on top see min steering torque ). Since the developer of sims try to solve that, the ffb doesn't load up progressive as before, and this goes not only for rf2. The people influenced this in my opinion, because the developer where forced to please the crowd.

Now we have a jolting steering around the center with some cars and a unnatural pulling force on bumps as addition , like the F3.5 and F2 reflect the most. Some other cars almost present no transitions anymore, and in the current case with the historics the motion kinematic is almost lost.

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Have you ran the rfconfig since the update?

12. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Waiting for a readme for this feature.

The option button after clicking race is nnot working maybe due to the info taken straight from player files? And the host have no name

13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I think at the moment it is taking the details if you setup a server before, maybe from the multiplayer.JSON

14. TypicalAnalytical

TypicalAnalytical Banned

Interesting that some of you are seeing negative differences in 60s ffb. I just did a 20 lap race at Thruxton and was amazed by how light the wheel was getting over the marbles at high speed. Just incredible. My wheel is G27, the usual profile settings, 0 damping in game, ffb multiplier set so that doesn't clip on high speed turns. Otherwise defaults and stm = 0 but lemme confirm that and I will also backup and let game recreate plr file and will test again. Also I just happened to record my race so I will also review it not to see what pedal plugin was reporting over marbles and other although of course probably difficult to see. Anyway, I'll report back because what I am feeling is not subtle at all and it is definitely good...

15. TypicalAnalytical

TypicalAnalytical Banned

Wow something is going on. With re-built player.JSON FFB is very different. Does anyone know of a good file comparison tool? Maybe File Commander will do it but not sure. Anyway if anyone knows of a good file comparison tool then let me know. Wait a minute maybe I'll just use MS Word. Stand by...

Edit - Nothing stands out :(

How ffb so much better with old player.json?

View attachment 14305

Anyone else see anything?

16. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Notepad++ with file compare plugin.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/npp-compare/

17. TypicalAnalytical

TypicalAnalytical Banned

Went through file 3 times and did notice I changed rr multiplier unfortunately difference is noticeable and instant but I will make sure both are green, etc. and test again...

Edit - Something weird happening but not sure. Sorry. Maybe others can weigh in regarding ffb. I reloaded each plr.JSON and set race settings and controller screens identically and even made sure audio settings the same so no psychological effect because engine/tire volume ratio, etc.

Anyway, carry on. I will say, however, that one of the best ffb I've felt before regarding front tire grip loss is Race 07 and I am not getting that level of distinction but I am getting enough but just throwing a bone to Spinelli on that one ;)

18. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

19. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

His specs say he is on XP.

20. Andreas67

Andreas67 Registered

Autoupdater smoothly works for me, Thank You. For me, all the cars feel different than in previous build. Are you sure you have not changed anything? :)