DX12 (and making full use of it) w/ rFactor 2 - WE HOPE!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Sep 16, 2014.

1. xAcid9

xAcid9 Registered

This. With that free up CPU cycles and graphic optimization in DX11/DX12, we could have much better sound or even physics.
    But ISI dev studio is pretty small with pretty small budget, i doubt they'll able to fully utilize DX12 or even DX11. They did a very good job with DX9 though.

Too bad AMD TrueAudio didn't get adopted to the masses like Mantle. TrueAudio in Lichdom:Battlemage is awesome.

2. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

I don't understand what all the fuss is about the UI, it looks fine to me and is easy to use.

3. Uff

Uff Registered

As Spinelli said, Dx11 (and even more Dx12) is not about having a better graphic: yes, developers might take adavantage of some new features, but what really matters is the way they work, which should lead to substantial performance improvements.

4. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Not many understand that mang. To them dx11 - automatically get pcars/AC graphics

5. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

UI single screen works fine but if you have triple screens you understand what is wrong with UI.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2014
  6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Uhm, kay.

Sendt fra min LG-E400 med Tapatalk2

7. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Keep in mind. A simulation as complex as rfactor 2 with say asseto corsa style graphics with DX12 for example would require a serious gaming system to run. 4th Gen I7 and a 295x2 equivalent for you triple monitor users.

Hope you all realise a large margin of the simulation community uses "outdated" hardware by today's standards.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You sort of have it backwards. Again, DX12 - as long as you properly take advantage of it rather than just using it so that you can say you use it (for sales) - allows much better performance. Not going from DX9 to DX11...sure, I can see that, but DX12 brings much more to the table than going from DX9 to DX11. DX12 has to be done man, for all the technical, under the hood stuff, CPU, GPU, everything.

As a whole, DX12 seems very powerful and very exciting.

9. David Wright

David Wright Registered

I'm not sure where the myth that racing sims shouldn't push graphic boundaries hard came from. Every new sim I've bought from Papyrus' IndyCar Racing through GP2, GP3, and GPL - all of them required a great deal of PC power to run the graphics. rFactor and GT Legends when they came out required serious hardware to run, and GTR2 pushed this still further if you used the wet weather available. My experience with rF2 is it also pushes graphics very hard even if sadly it doesn't look as good or run as fast as other DX9 racing titles.

10. xAcid9

xAcid9 Registered

Assetto Corsa graphic is not really "that heavy" and with low level access in DX12 those "outdated" hardware won't be that outdated anymore especially multicores CPU.

Ya mang, and some of them think converting from DX9 to DX11 only need a few codes/clicks and them BAMM! pCars graphic.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Microsoft Details Direct3D 11.3 & 12 New Rendering Features --> http://anandtech.com/show/8544/microsoft-details-direct3d-113-12-new-features

Seems that even the brand new NVidia GTX 980 may not be able to fully take advantage of DX12 as DX12 is still being developed. It's too early to tell. On the other hand though, it's great that previous GPUs, even going as far back as the NVidia "Fermi" series (GTX 400 and 500), can still make partial use of DX12. Even though they will be gimped in terms of fully taking advantage of DX12, it's still great that they can at least partially take advantage of DX12.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
  12. 7xu5

7xu5 Registered

I remember some old post in which isi said we could with DX9 is doing the same things with DX11, now will tell us that the same thing happens DX12 does nothing you can not do the dx9, but always I have believed that this is false. especially seeing as it works to improve the dx to offer increasingly better graphics features for game developers.

13. xAcid9

xAcid9 Registered

Latest update changelog. Incoming DX11 support?

14. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Hmmmmm...think they're referring to 64-bit stuff. Pretty sure DX11 allows DX9 hardware profiles.

15. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

They have dropped Window XP so that they can use later DX API's, potentially from 10 even or 11 depending on whats required. Could be DX12 related but imo it's too early for that yet.

Don't know which ones sadly, but you can tell there is something going on visually in this new build, hdr environment is more cohesive and settled too.

I am very happy with this build from that point of view.

Nice one ISI:)

16. xAcid9

xAcid9 Registered

Maybe they want to drop DX9 completely? I'm not sure. :p

17. Minibull

Minibull Member

I'm sure that is just the most basic first step they are taking there and not indicative of massive changes coming soon... Ending XP support technically ends the need to run with DX9 it seems, so now in future when maybe they do look at new API tech, they already have that out of the way.

I also wonder about DX12, will it require new hardware to properly use it? Like the tesselation with DX11, older cards could do it, but with massive fps impacts. The next gen card comes out and then all is well.
    The reason I wonder about that is all the people going on now with their old tech "Ohhh, I have to upgrade to new hardware to run rF2, terrible blah blah...". Well, if something like this gets done, you may have to upgrade again to use it properly, who knows. Still, least it's not on ISI's heads then XD

18. speed1

speed1 Banned

I would wish they would choose Mantle and I believe with a request to AMD they would support it. No idea how the difference to DX12 will be but it kills DX11 already with ease.

19. Armando

Armando Registered

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Post #31 :)