Inside Sim Racing Interview With Tim Wheatley Coming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by William David Marsh, Sep 11, 2014.

1. William David Marsh

William David Marsh Registered

Hey guys! You may know me as the blogger for Inside Sim Racing, and I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to also start doing some videos too :) I decided that I wanted to interview Tim Wheatley, so about a week or so ago, I contacted him via email, and he accepted. So we are planning on doing a video interview over Skype after SimHQ Motorsports publishes the Q&A (which should be any day now), to take a look at rFactor 2 and what direction it is heading for in the future.

I talked with Tim for a few hours over Skype yesterday, and without giving away too much, I will say, we have a LOT to look forward to :D. But I thought that, while questions from just one person would be alright, I'd really want to hear what the community would like to ask ISI as well. So I want to open up questions to you guys. What would you like to see me ask Tim in an interview?

Thanks for your guys' input, and I hope you'll enjoy the interview when it comes out! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I honestly thought ISR would be the last website to give rF2 any attention at all. Other than SimHQ ISR is the only other sim racing website that bothers with ISI so I'll give credit where credit is due. Kudos to William Marsh on this interview.

Question: Where is point to point racing on the "to do" list. There are old screen shots of a hillclimb, will that ever be released? Thanks!!

I know dirt has already been asked and answered so I won't bother with that one. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2014
  3. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Thanks William, for me: "What do you expect about virtual reality in rF2?"

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

just a couple of questions concerning development

is there any chance that ISI ( IF ITS STILL the case that the ISI devs don't have time to do it themselves at the moment)
    could collaborate with certain & willing modders & open their code for things like :

-earlier support of integrated VR integration ????
    (rift dk2 .....as apparently this compatibility will also be compatible with the consumer version )

-new integrated official user interface (to replace the old one ) ???

the certain & willing modders could be the ones that have already done work on these things in the form of plug-ins/packages

p.s -this is integrated eg no plugins / no add on packages / download of files etc

----------

for the isi devs (internal work)

-at what point in the queue is sound going to be looked at -impact sounds/improved tire sounds/5.1 that fully works / spotter (that can be heard by all) ?

-any news on the previously mentioned contact tire patch improvement (is it still happening ) ?

-can we put a couple of simple things into rf2 to help with the plug-in delay like engine auto starts straight after delay
    (for users with simvibe/motion etc ) -hopefully an option like this could be in the UI

-------------------

few other questions :

-can the auto update feature be extended to non (multiplayer) subscribers ???
    (I have a lifetime but have friends that will not consider paying the upgrade due to hassle of updating etc -even though they'll get it with the lifetime or annual etc .....tad strange I know but their frustration has ran high apparently )

-will there be a point where ISI will actually increase the promotion & marketing for rfactor 2 ?
    (or is the previous/present level of official exposure as far as they will go ?)

hope this helps & these are do-able & decent questions, good luck with the interview
    thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

AFAIK, this was already done in the last update. But we'll have to see if it really works in the impending one.

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I would ask Tim if the frustratingly slow development progress on many fronts (due to obvious lack of resources, not lack of talent or desire) is sustainable in the face of AC, a renewed RRRE, a pCARS that may make it to AC level of sim-ness, plus existing iRacing, etc. In other words, there is a ton of good competition out there directly competing with rF2 and all of it is more accessible to the casual sim racer who doesn't want to spend a week learning about and tweaking 30 settings before being able to hop in and drive.

Part 2 of the same question: when will rF2 be ready for developers like Reiza Studios who are doing fantastic work and could bring core engine sales? It is literally a crime that they are still fudging about with rF when everyone knows how much better their stuff would be if it had rF2 underneath it. And will they license the engine (as in the past), or is some more complicated add-on process going to be required (e.g., buy Reiza "GSC Super Extreme" and it is in effect a mod for rF2. If you own rF2, you buy it as a mod. If you don't, you pay a bit extra and get rF2 with it?) Is it only us out here in sim-land that thinks this is so urgent to resolve and not have rF2 trampled in the stampede towards other "shinier" objects?

7. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

This is a loooooooong shot but, and it has been asked again and again, Rally? Many want a proper online rally experience in a simulation like rf2. I would love to be stacked up waiting for my turn to run and have others on the track with me at the same time running a full rally. Is this possible with rf2?

Pardon the run on sentence ;)

And, will rf2 have unlimited device visualization? I have many of them but they all are not plunged in atm.

SLI
    handbrake
    2 bb's
    h shifter
    wheel
    sequential shifter
    pedals

8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

- Can we expect ISI to entertain the thought and pursue the development of (or similar to) very popular content that hasn't been delivered in recent platforms/currently? To be very specific, I mean 1967 GT (supremely popular GPL mod), Group C cars (such as GTP mod for NR 2003, with the Le Mans winners and other iconic vehicles of Group C era from 1987-1992), now-defunct FIA GT1 cars, late 1960s/early 1970s Formula 1 content, any Formula 1 content from between 1984-2004 (especially if more than one car).

- What are plans for tracks? Can we expect real life recreations even if they're unlicensed? Would ISI entertain the idea of doing Howston/Brianza sort of content which is accurate and a proper recreation but just lacking the official names and logos?

- When will the lighting be worked on especially for HDR (given the current exposure and other tidbits)? When can we expect some form of pitcrew or pitlane/paddock population? What about some form of single player mode such as a championship season, or even a scenario mode? What about an improved AI with higher resolution?

This is a biggie for me:

- What would you say to someone who would like to go lifetime subscription on rF2, if he or she is wary of a possible rF3 development in the next couple of years interrupting progress from rF2?

Thanks for the opportunity to pose my questions.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2014
  9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hi Paul

if your ok at electronics you could wire these devices into the sli interface, without to much trouble, (obviously keep wheel separate),
    or you can replace the board on your pedals & wire the pedals into it + shifters/handbrakes/button boxes etc
    (there may be many spare ports in one of your button boxes already)

10. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

Tim mentioned here a while ago that there was a good possibility of licensing Knockhill. Any further news on that?

The previously announced Bentley Speed8 LMP900 car not withstanding, modern sports prototypes remain conspicuous by their absence. I'm thinking especially of LMP1 and LMP2. Are attempts being made (or have any been made previously) to secure licenses for any such cars?

11. gkz

gkz Registered

My question are big for me !! so i hope it will be for other useres too :>

1. Will we ever see a "musthave" Track like Nordschleife or spa from isi even if its not laserscanned its good.
    2. Will isi release any racing pack like gt3 cars etc. for a complete racing series ? Even in a dlc pack.

I mean i would pay a lot of money for original race series and tracks like raceroom does with adac gt master . IsI should make there main content and than dlc packs with licens content for money
    and they will get it.

12. Joe

Joe Registered

HI Will:

Thank you for doing this. Below are three of my questions I hope he will answer.
    I am not a gamer so careless about AI cars, but more or less get into Sim itself. That says I am interested in single AI driver very much.

Currently, rF2 offers a feature allows one to switch between AI driver (letting an AI take control the car) and player driver while driving.

Q1: is the physics implemented for AI driver the same as that implemented for player driver?

Q2: if not, can ISI please implement to make both have the same physics?

Q3: if Q1 or Q2 is Yes, then would ISI please implement “best” drive techniques on AI driver and match to record lap time on a track?

This enhancement is of revolution in sim. I love to have and like to pay for if ISI charges this as an option. The reason is that the telemetry data of the pro AI driver can be stored and used for comparison. I can explain a little more on this:
    I have the Ross Bentley’s books, which teach us hundreds of race driving techniques and secrets. So, in theory, we all know how (by reading those two books). But, in reality, while on the track (for both real and sim), one has to spend hundreds or thousands of hours to practices and subjectively learn. Human brain is very fuzzed and not in the ms level resolution on learning (high speed). At a split second mistaken or how much off during less a split second in regarding throttle and brake or turning, and exactly how much off….we just could not figure out.
    Today, all race drivers no longer suffer that. They are all trained by Data-driven, repeat: Data-driven! Yong as 17 years age can be a winner of racing. This is applicable for both real and sim worlds. Below is the video, to demonstrate such feature is particular important, see start 3:34 to the end of this video (you have to watch this video from 3:34 to understand why this feature is must-have):

thanks,

Joe

13. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I'd like to know if Tim has thoughts regarding how the sim racing media can encourage new sim racers to commit to developing their skills, knowledge and experience rather than binge-ing on content and exhibiting clan like behaviors focused on criticizing sim SW.

14. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

sigh, so many questions here have been answered already. First page is a fail. :(

Slow progress compared to iracing? what? 3 years later they still haven't finished 2.0. Too many trolls around here.

15. Carlos Cavalcanti

Carlos Cavalcanti Registered

I would like to congratulate the excellent physical. dynamic that is most of the simulators, I would like to talk about the tracks made ​​by the community where the best and leave much to be desired compared to other simulators! Spa, Mid Ohio, Sebring finally my biggest doubt is part of the rain will be improved in relation to spray tires 'heating up' too, from already thank you

16. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Oh, another question:

Can we expect new content that will simulate a series, and will it offer different cars in the same field?

17. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Nice initiative. I don't usually support ISR but in this case I'll make an exception. :)

Short and sweet, I'd like to ask two questions:

-what can we expect from the upcoming tire contact patch update?

-what can we expect regarding updates to wet weather racing?

Sendt fra min LG-E400 med Tapatalk2

18. coops

coops Banned

What and if any secret MODS OR UPDATES that will be implemented into rf2 this yr that we are not expecting ?

19. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

- What can we expect from the new driveline that is fairly high on the priority list now, is it more engine management features for oval racing, already promised realistic clutch?

- Could you disclose to us how many people is currently working on rf2 and what are they doing? In meaning that we already know that Track team has 2 members, how about other teams?

- How long have you been working for ISI and how did it all start? How many licences negotiantions do you currently have pending? Are there many licencing opportuniities that the licencers simply offer you for free as part of racing passion or is every single one paid by whatever amount? When the negotiation doesnt go well, what are the reasons for that?

20. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

-When can we expect SLI and Crossfire support.

-When can we expect new integrated official user interface to replace the old one.