Launcher not loading

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Simon Topham, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Simon Topham

Simon Topham Registered

A month or so ago I had a power cut while the rfactor launcher was open on my machine. Since then whenever I double click it to open it, nothing happens.

I get the following error:

I have seen others with this error on the forum, and tried some of the ideas people have posted, with no success. Any help would be appreciated.

2. dradecki

dradecki Registered

This started with me with build 798. I have followed every thread trying each one without luck. I also posted on the beta thread, again with no resolution. People were helpful but nothing worked, and no response from ISI. It worked fine with build 770, but after that the launcher window will not appear.

3. Hectari

Hectari Registered

4. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Wish it was that, but it didn't apply to me. I don't get a crash, the launcher window won't appear. But it is in the Task Manager.

5. Hectari

Hectari Registered

:(

After I hit that problem I did a fresh install of Windows and turned off UAC since it had given me numerous problems(with everything on my PC, not just rF2) and everything has been all good ever since.

6. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

If the launcher does not appear but is listed as process in the taskmanager only a reboot solve it (every time so in my case).
    For me only one time per system start I can open the launcher. Because of this I do not close the launcher while I use rF2.

If you experience the msvcr110.dll error you have to install the vcredist 2012 x86 and x64.
    and or delete the credential file like Hectari linked above. (that was the solution in my case. Interesting thing is I had never problems with this until I switched to rF2x64 in build798).

One thing I noticed additional if I activate my Eyefinity with AMD CCC I must set the resolution again under rF2 config then check the multiview box again or my rF2 will not start it hangs around in black screen)

7. Simon Topham

Simon Topham Registered

I can't even find my credentials file. Is that deleted when you uninstall rF2?

Nothing appears in my task manager and there are no processes running either.

I have got the vcredist 2012 x86, when i try and install the x64 one, it says I have a newer version on my machine.

8. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

You have tried like it is posted here ?
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...H-MSVCR110-dll?p=270819&viewfull=1#post270819

this is the important part (cut from post I've linked above) for the credentials thing :

"I narrowed it down to my Credentials file causing the problem so I removed it used the Login on the launcher and it recreated it. I can drop the corrupted Credentials file back in and it causes the above problem to return. This was a mega pain for such a simple fix, hoping if anyone else has the same problem that they can fix it simply by removing their existing Credentials file. To find it use the 'search programs and files' in the start menu and type %appdata% and hit enter, then open the rfactor folder and cut the Credentials file from the folder and see if the launcher will work again."

If you use windows explorer to open the path ensure that option to display hidden files is enabled.
    Path should look like this C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\.rFactor
    For example in my case the path is: C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Roaming\.rFactor

If this does not help write a email to the ISI support email address with a link to this thread and a small description because posting in this subforum does not mean (ISI) is aware of your problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
  9. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Just checked my system UAC is already off. Dang I thought this might be the fix.

10. dradecki

dradecki Registered

I will do an email to ISI. This is about the 5th or 6th thread I have been exploring with no luck.

11. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

What is your installation path? On my system I have to set additional permissions on the file system because I do not use the default path for rF2.
    For examle my rF2 is installed on V:\rF2build798\
    In this case I had to set for the folder rF2build798 additional change rights for my user. Default rights are only read.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2014
  12. Simon Topham

Simon Topham Registered

Thanks, now I know where the credentials file is, I removed it and the launcher works again.

13. dradecki

dradecki Registered

I use the default paths suggested by the installer.

14. Simon Topham

Simon Topham Registered

Got it working now. Thanks

15. scalino

scalino Registered

hi everyone,

sorry again for having had to break my planned testing steps of installations, and then I saw dradecki took the actions that had to be taken, so i let him do.

One little tip I can give for those who have this issue with the launcher, that depending on the boot it's working or not (staying in the task manager doing nothing, but not displayed):

- what I could observe is that the sooner you launch it after Windows opened the desktop, the better the odds that the launcher opens
    - my last action was to copy a shortcut towards it into the "startup" group of Windows Start Menu, and most of the times it works, and then I actually start the game when I want :) (and above all, never close it before you are totally done with the game)

16. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Wow. that is weird. I'll give it a try tonight. That might explain why once or twice out of the 100 times I tried to start it that the launcher actually worked.

17. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Could it then be the case that a process that is running is conflicting/preventing the launcher from running? Maybe try and end non-essential processes to see if it makes any difference.

18. scalino

scalino Registered

i did try this kind of things but let go after several failures... :) i'd say it's related to sth like a dll being already loaded by another process and a question of "dll sharing property" parameter in the way the launcher loads the same dll. (but i also may be wrong about this, i don't have enough view of the innards of the launcher code).

19. dradecki

dradecki Registered

I did start up the launcher right after a reboot and it worked. I think you guys are on to something.