Three major short-comes of rF2 cars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe, Sep 1, 2014.

1. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

@OP
    Did you use the same setups for both ?
    rF2 is not as plug 'n play as AC.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2014
  2. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

@Paul Loatman

Really cool video editing, never seen that before, nice idea :) It really adds to properly see the steering wheel inputs as well.

In my opinion, rF2 is by far the best sim at the moment regarding tire model / FFB / Feel for the car. I keep testing other sims but i never get anywhere near the same amount of feel and detail while driving the cars. I want to like AC but it feels so numb and dead for me, compared to rF2. When the recently put out their new patch with "improved FFB and feel for all cars" i was excited and gave it another go, but all i can say is that the wheel is a bit more alive in general, but no improvements in feel for the car at all. At least thats what i felt.

Same goes for Pcars or Race Room, no feel at all. I really like the UI / Presentation of Pcars, and visuals ( ACs are alright but not much better than rF2 depending on what quality mod / track is used ). All those Sims/Games can be fun, but for serious racing simulation, nothing beats rF2 for me right now.

Once they fix the Contact patch and fully implement a proper driveline and wet weather mod, i'm golden :)

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Paul, I've watched those vids more than once. Some of my fav simracing vids :) .

Look at the start of the classic F1 race. You are probably giving somewhere between 15 and 20 % throttle, extremely little, yet the RPMs just keep on rising and rising and don't stop until almost redline - about 8000 RPM (car redlines around 8800 RPM).

Same with the start of your FR 3.5 race. You give it about 10 or 15 % throttle - so little - and the revs shoot up like lightning to over 8000 RPM, then you let off, then you go back to a tiny amount of throttle again, just 10 or so %, and bam, you're back at about 7700 RPM with such tiny throttle application.

The amount the RPMs rise, and also the extreme quickness in which they rise, for such a small amount of throttle, just seems extremely off. It happens on many cars and I bet this is what makes a lot of cars feel so "icey" or like they have 5x more torque then they do once they rears start getting on the edge, because the revs are so willing to rise so high and so lightning quick as soon as they get a chance to (like when you start slipping/spinning the tyres), you then get this same sort of effect when you slip the tyres while driving - not as bad while in neutral (or in gear but with the clutch pressed in) but the same idea.

- I made a video with 2 cars, forgive me it's terrible on all fronts lol, it's my first ever time making a video, recording audio (with the mic on my tablet, lol), merging them with movie making software, etc.
    - By the way, I checked my pedals in the Thrustmaster control panel and in game as well. I also had the in-game sensitivity to fully linear (100%).

4. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Is ur gas throttle in linear?

5. Minibull

Minibull Member

Gee...I'm almost tempted to record a video of the throttle on my bike. Reason why I'm thinking the bike is a very light flywheel, high revs. It takes stuff all throttle for it to climb RPM when there is no load on the engine. I crack a small bit of throttle on when warming it up, and the revs climb real quick. I'm really not sure what the heck all this is about, you think that giving 70% throttle should give you 70% of max RPM? You are usually spot on with the things you post man, criticisms and praise alike, but this has got me stunned.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yes Nazirull, it is fully linear (last line in my post). Minibull, my good friend owns a GSX-R 750 that makes almost as much power as a stock gixxer 1000 (modded engine, tuned, fuel, etc) it is very touchy but the revs do not rise to redline and start banging the crap out of the rev-limiter when you give it 20% or so throttle. His friend has a stock ninja 1000, same thing. Touchy yes, but it's not the same as in the video. Also, this happens with almost every car, even the Panoz road car with it's big old, "lazy" V8, it takes another second or so to finish shooting up towards the redline (or almost redline) but it still exhibits the same basic behavior. Of course I don't think that 70% throttle is supposed to give you 70% RPM :)

7. Domi

Domi Registered

The throttle response in most ISI cars is extremely unlinear, especially at lower rpm. I think I've seen things like 95% at 50% throttle travel (in some cars at low rpm)... Just open any engine file and see the values...

8. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

LOL, yep, some people will believe what they want to believe, no matter what kind of proof you show them. Good luck fellas. :p

9. Joe

Joe Registered

Your video actually described the 1) issue I have. Simple test to prove that is that you can take a rF2 car driven over side road (on the grass),and try to take off back to the track (with TC off). The car will spin off all over with even little throttle applied. A real car does not do that, period. Try rF2 GT cars yourself.

10. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Spend more than 10 minutes driving per car and I bet you'll be surprised.

11. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Same for curbs. And I "tried" it (not on purpose) really often!
    Completely BS what you say!!
    Try to do the settings in the steering options correctly.
    If throttle response is too sensitive for you, decrease the sensitivity!
    Same for steering. Simple as that.

12. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

Then, don't drive on the grass ;)
    Do you have a video or a replay of a couple of laps ?

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Don't know what to say. Real cars and especially race car throttles don't operate so that you press them all the way to the floor to get maximum rpms in neutral. The throttle mapping (response) is set-up so that while you are driving in gear you get some sort of pleasant response. That necessarily means that in neutral it will fly up to maximum rpms fairly easily with much less than full throttle application.

I do not have high quality pedals, but they respond exactly as in Paul's video and it is incredibly easy to modulate the throttle. Low powered cars like the Miata or Clio are dead simple to control. The Howston '67 Mark III (most power, lowest grip possible) is a handful, but not impossible to drive if you are gentle with her in the right manner. Only a digital throttle or one with artificially too-quick response could result in what you are describing. You have checked all settings, so my only suggestion is to temporarily map the throttle to your wheel. See if you can modulate it easily with that as the controller--just as a comparison to see if it's the resolution or some strange setting somewhere (not unheard of in rF2!!!!).

14. Joe

Joe Registered

@Spinelli, and @Marc

I agreed with Marc. In neutral, this is the way indeed. While engaged, at least for rF1 F3 cars, the RPM response with throttle is very accurate in comparison with real F3 car on a real track. Don't know about rF2 cars however. Here are comparisons by "drracing" claimed about 94% accurate rpm response rF1:
    http://drracing.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/throttle.jpg
    http://drracing.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/rpm.jpg

Back to my issue 1), one can take rF2 370Z GT3 vs AC McLearn GT3 on Silverstone side by side to compare. While oversteering on cornering, commonly rear tires slip and sliding or drifting. This is common stage of oversteer. Correct behavior of a car while oversteering is undergone a sliding stage, unless one push too hard hence spin off. Comparing both cars between rF2 and AC with TC off, one will find rF2 is far easier to spin off and almost with no mid stage of sliding/drifting.

On my issue 2), as Spinelli stated one may be able to fix this by changes those files. I am not arguing on this since I am an end-user, and take this sim as is. To prove my point, one can simply search Youtube, by typing "assetto corsa vs real life" to see all the videos to demonstrated how accurate of AC speed sensation is!

15. Jamie Shorting

You're comparing the 370Z to the McLaren 12C GT3? Oh dear. Funny stuff.

16. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Funny or not, he's right. Tire slip is exponential in rF2 and it's loony.

The 370Z is GT4, though.

17. Jamie Shorting

I usually don't post gifs but for this thread I'll make an exception.

[​IMG]

18. Joe

Joe Registered

This could be due to that fact that a new Thermodynamic tire model implemented in rF2, since the "slip angle" is no longer as attribute in their new tire model.

19. Led566

Led566 Registered

So basically you are saying that once the slip starts there is nothing you can do to stop it.

In all evidence I must have a different rF2 phisics engine than yours.

20. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Post of the Year :D