Cannot start 841 from start menu: Qt "platform plugin" not found?

Discussion in 'Previous unstable/build archive' started by cosimo, Aug 30, 2014.

1. cosimo

cosimo Registered

As per subject, when I try to start unstable 841 from the start menu, it fails to start and a dialog shows up with the message: "Cannot find qt platform plugin 'windows'".

View attachment 14133

When I launch it manually from the unstable folder (Launcher/Launch rFactor.exe) then it's fine.
    Tried uninstalling/reinstalling but no joy.

2. TJones

TJones Registered

This is a Win8 specific problem. I had the same.
    I simply created a new link from the correct "Launcher rFactor.exe" and replaced the old one in the start menu.

You can also try to change the two lines in the properties section to the correct exe and folder.

BTW i have to update my system specs. :) --> Done!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2014
  3. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

It's a shortcut path error. (I got the same error on Windows 7) The "Start in" property points to the rFactor2 folder, but it should point to the rFactor2/Launcher folder. This was reported after build 798 came out, but it was obviously not fixed. Let's hope they can get it right before the next stable release.

4. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

5. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Yes, of course no problem with me fixing it manually. Just wanted to report that the problem is there.
    Could be from the last unstable? Because I normally leave the "create shortcut on desktop" checkbox *unchecked*.

6. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

As a general rule, if you created a short cut using the old version it is best to let the installer update that shortcut for you when a new version comes out.