Stock Car Rules List

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Aug 27, 2014.

1. rongarz

rongarz Registered

I'm also eagerly awaiting an update on the stock cars release.

2. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

During a Sprint cup race at Daytona last weekend, it was stated that one of Nascar's changes this year is Driver in-car control of the track bar.
    Wonder if any one caught that during broadcast of the Unlimited race at the Daytona 500.

3. doug484

doug484 Registered

I did notice that. It seems very interesting - an electric motor run by a switch on the dash.

We won't see it used at Daytona though (same rules as last year). The first regular race, at Atlanta, is when we're supposed to see the new rules in effect.

4. Chefmark

Chefmark Registered

I getting to think we will never see Stock Cars till Rfactor 3 comes out

5. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Nope, their next on the list ............ (I wish)

6. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

It has been said some time ago that it had to wait on a tyre update. Just this week I saw on twitter (I believe Tim's twitter?) that someone returned working on them. Just be patient, and in some time good things will happen :)

EDIT :: well, it was the rfactor2 twitter account ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2015
  7. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

A suggestion from my side - something for online racing.

We used to host some superspeedway races and we introduced one extra rule:
    - leaders are not allowed to bump draft, except for final 5 laps

Sounds weird at first, but when you think of it:
    - in online racing many people don't have the skill to keep up with pack leaders - after 50 laps there's only a number of people on lead lap
    - people at the back of the pack are forced to give their best to keep up, often taking risks

If you slow down the leader, the pack stays together much easier and people at the back of the pack are not under pressure to keep up. If they fall behind, they find a partner and catch up by bumpdrafting (which leaders cannot do and therefore leading pack travels slower). Neither are the leaders motivated to try to break away. Yet still a lot is going on within the pack and race is pure fun.
    At final 5 laps rule no longer applies to give everyone a fair chance to give their best and win the race. Also to avoid situations when following or not following this rule strictly may decide outcome of the race.

This rule was criticized by many before the race, but got only positive feedback afterwards. So it's tested and proven :)
    Since we also had bonus points at laps 50, 100 and 150, we allowed bump drafting 5 laps before these marks as well.

The result:
    - safer online racing
    - more fun for everyone
    - more experience for rookies by spending more time with the pack
    - more exciting finishes

I guess it's not a good rule for professional racing, but for online racing it works very well.

If we get a nice API for creating our own rule set, I would like this API to allow detecting bump drafting somehow.

8. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Sounds perfectly reasonable KS, also would help preclude most to not be discouraged so much in trying to participate.

9. trindade

trindade Registered

+1

10. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Will rules be in the EXE or editable in the mods themselves?

11. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Probably a plugin? Not sure how those things work or if it has to be in the core build.

12. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

FYI - Todays final practice for Michigan race tomorrow, announcement was made that next season Nascar will allow a full glass dash (lcd readouts). I don't believe they said "require".

13. Bowlingguy300

Bowlingguy300 Registered

where are we at on these things. disappointed we are still not releasing these yet.

14. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I believe they are next in line. They are one of the reasons that Indianapolis track was just updated.

15. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Unstickied. Good sign.

16. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Changes made in qualifying of Xfinity cars at Daytona today, no longer pack qualifying. Single cars only, no drafting to help times and only the top 12 in first run advance to second run (instead of top 24)
    They may do this for Cup cars also, both classes have continually complained about wrecks and disadvantages while "pack" qualifying.