RF2 Accepts Brightness, Contrast, and Gamma Adjustments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

With AMD, adjusting the brightness, contrast, and gamma in the driver control panel sticks to just about any game, even if the game has it's own "override" video settings. However, with Nvidia, your brightness, contrast, and gamma settings do not stick on all games/applications, but only the ones that don't have their own. For example, with Nvidia, in rFactor 1, Game Stock Car, etc. the brightness, contrast, and gamma settings do not "stick", the game will just revert to it's own settings, HOWEVER, I am happy to report that rFactor 2 DOES accept and "hold" any brightness, contrast, and gamma settings from Nvidia users as well.

This is very nice to have. I can now make my rF2 have more depth and "pop" without having to use things like SweetFX (don't get me wrong, SweetFX is great, and it is much more powerful than just brightness, contrast, and gamma settings) because my monitor's image is pretty "washed out" compared to my previous monitor which had much blacker blacks, vivid colors, contrast, etc. etc. I could crank the brightness in my old monitor while keeping very black blacks and keeping colors vivid. On my current monitor, raising the brightness from the monitor itself results in very bad and grey-ish blacks, not enough difference between the lightest colors and darkest, lots of dark areas just generally looking too light and "flat/washed out", not enough depth and pop, etc. At least now I have more flexibility with adjustment thanks to the fact that rFactor 2 will hold the display driver Brightness, Contrast, and Gamma settings, unlike many games/programs out there (again, unless you have an AMD card, then your brightness, contrast, and gamma settings can just about "hold" with any game).

In the Nvidia Control Panel slect "Adjust desktop color settings" under "Display". Then under "2. Choose how color is set." select "Use NVIDIA settings", then adjust the brightness, contrast, and gamma settings as you please for whichever color channel (or all).

Under "3. Apply the following enhancements" I raise Digital Vibrance from the default 50% to 60%. NOTE: Unlike the brightness, contrast, and gamma settings, the Digital vibrance WILL INDEED STICK in just about any and every game/app. Also, the digital vibrance setting will always be activated, you DO NOT need to have "Use NVIDIA settings" selected.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
    Alex72 and rer8 like this.
  2. joker68

joker68 Registered

Thanks for the tip!

3. speed1

speed1 Banned

Before doing that i would recommend you to calibrate your monitor with the basic calibration tool in windows, and even with the help of some calibration images you can find on the web, if you haven't a professionell calibration hardware. The calibration of the colors in the driver menue isn't only profile related, it affects the whole picture of windows and applications.

The right way is to calibrate your monitors first as good as possible with there own possibilities of color, brightness, contrast, gamma and black level if they offer to adjust, and then you still can fine tune something with the use of the driver after doing that.

It's all subjective but better than adjusting with the use of rf2 as calibration image. If you don't like the result, take some screenshots of rf2 and use it as calibration image, to fine tune the image and to find a good balance.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
  4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Of course you should calibrate your monitor as good as you can, speed1.

5. Coanda

Coanda Registered

Cheers Spinelli for helping users out.

The problem for me is that these nVidia controls are not tied to a rF2 profile. My monitor is pro calibrated using x-rite hardware however I use Samsung's "frame sequential" option to reduce motion blur and whilst using this option it is very difficult to produce proper colour balance. Even contrast & brightness levels are hard to manage however I am somewhere in the ball park. For me it is a trade off.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya, unfortunately it's not tied to a profile, it's just a global setting that you would revert back when you exit the game.

7. cabelo3d

cabelo3d Registered

I would like to know if there's still a way to change brightness and contrast nowadays. Don't seem to work as was one day and sorry for resurrecting an old post.

8. lagg

lagg Registered

AFAIK, never has been a way to do this in rF2

cabelo3d likes this.
  9. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Unrelated but on the topic of looks in rF2. I changed to Post Processing ULTRA the other day just to see how it looks (always run HIGH myself) and i noticed that the blue tint that is everywhere was gone. There was more contrast and depth in the overall graphics and it looked much juicier. However with both more detail in the Ferraris plus running triple screen on basically max graphics i have to set it back to HIGH just to be sure there are no dips. The Nvidia control panel tips can really help with this so cheers buddy. :) I know that it doesnt "stick" often so this is really good to know.