Will rFactor 2 Live up to its Predecessor's Legacy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by William David Marsh, Aug 25, 2014.

1. boxer

boxer Registered

Empty enjoy your videos but some time you leave one very confused...
    Some of your post can be confusing for a people not familiar with history between mods...
    if you are implying AC is better than rF2 they I am very disappointed because it's not... sure the graphics(mostly tracks) are superior but one just loses interest after a few laps... Graphics aren't enough I'm afraid... I feel to disconnect with the car in AC, it's as if one is suspended from a rope in the middle of the car...the core engine does so much of the driving for you that I don't find very rewarding... Not saying it's bad but the are not clearly targeting the same same audience. I think KS are well ware of what they have release and hit the bows eye for what they are looking for... I don't expect any changes in their path...

2. Panigale

Panigale Banned

nKPro was great (what got me into PC sims) but to label rF2 as nKPro2? I think we have a lot more 3rd party mods already if that is Empty's criteria. 1st party content is leaps and bounds over nKPro. Sorry but you aren't backing that up with anything that makes sense.

ISI probably gets a slice for every GSC license sold. That wasn't happening when they developed rF1. nKPro would run like a champ on a relatively cheap PC. rF2 needs at least a 2GB GPU to look good. I think they are letting the rF1 motor license bring in some cheddar while getting rF2 where it needs to be. That also allows the graphics sucks crowd time to upgrade their five year old PCs.

The latest build 798 running in 64bit is a rock and the mods available are outstanding with some great stuff from 3rd parties like the updated Mid-Ohio track. I'm not a fanboy but lets give some credit where credit is due.

There has been a level of consistent development with rF2 that nKPro never got close to. It could stop today and rF2 would be a valid next gen title, yet development and new content continues. The only gripe I really see is the lack of online. I use this sim exclusively offline but if it takes players getting the game for free to see a lot of online activity then that isn't a legacy worth following.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
  3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

The whole "nKP = rF2" or whatever is getting quite tiresome.

I'll admit, it'd be a pretty fun little point to make, if it wasn't such a bad comparison.
    So in the end it's just a bit pointless.

I have a very hard time believing that rF2 will end up lost, forgotten and useless like nKP.

4. Minibull

Minibull Member

Exactly. I wonder how much that affects the view of all the mods done in rF1 (I never had it, I just had the Simbin sims.). What I mean by that is how many of those mods were done with solid references and decent "support" and how many of them were just assumptions and guesses. I've seen a few people mention only having a few choice mods or mod packages in their rF1 installs, which makes me wonder if it will be the same with rF2, just with various official content right at the top.

It makes me think of the nostalgia that Hexagramme was mentioning in another post...the good ol days...forget the bad, remember the good XD

5. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Deleted, whatever.

6. coops

coops Banned

rf2 is leading the way for all other sims to keep up with there technology, but on the other hand it is very slow in development which may allow some sims to catch up, modding im enjoying whats out there and what ISI has released, yes its not rf1 with 100s of mods and tracks. but i would expect things to improve over time. just like rf2 will. but with mods that are at a lot better standard and few less bad 1s coming out than rf1 suffered from. RF2 KICKS ASS.

7. pas74

pas74 Registered

+1

8. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Yet another reason to just enjoy these useless "what if" threads with a cup of tea, while waiting for rF2 to "mature" into the sim its oughta/will/can be.

9. Domi

Domi Registered

And what data is the good one? The old GTs ore the new noobed :)D) ones? The impossible-to-spin Indycar? Or the Formula ISI cars that can go literally full throttle at Copse?

You can get a lot of data nowadays if you really want (at least enough data to make a reasonable good content), imo the problem is more about having a modding platform that is difficult to work with and a lack of interest in the sim compared to other games, which is something that didn't happen with rF1.

10. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Folks, every car can spin on the edge, if you can't spin it you are simply not driving on the edge of car ability. Simply as that, or you use very conservative setups.

11. Ddigital

Ddigital Registered

What? No. If we focus on technology rFactor2 only wins for die hard simracers in the the physics department.

Accessibility: Project CARS is developed for 5 different platforms.
    Graphics: Project CARS & AC obviously and iRacing the most optimised off all
    Multiplayer: iRacing in a completely different realm
    Laserscanning: AC & iRacing

Accuracy to the milimeter. I would count that as ass kicking.
    Sales that give you the freedom to license more cars and tracks.
    Large user base to race with.
    Potential to bring new people into sim racing.
    rFactor2 sure as hell is no leader for simracing. If anything its a model dying slowly.
    asf

12. Domi

Domi Registered

The last time someone suggested me this, it turned out that I was lapping 2-3s faster than him just doing 10 laps of testing.

Actually I'd say the opposite, if you spin this car (assuming you talk about the IndyCar, due to my comment) you really suck at driving. But anyway I don't want to focus on this, I just wanted to point out that even ISI has incomplete data most of the times, and this is not the main reason that is stopping modders to create content.

13. Minibull

Minibull Member

I'd say the Indy rush is why the DW12 is the way it is...wanna get on that hype train XD

14. c.pucher

c.pucher Registered

Well, Tim stated on various occasions that they didn't get the right data for the DW12 which they got in the meanwhile. So there will be an update to the DW12 sooner or later. Talking about this specific car before the update is done is kinda useless as ISI/Tim would be the first to acknowledge that its wrong at the moment.

15. Domi

Domi Registered

Of course. The problem is that people here believes that "we got more data" means that they will get absolutely every bit possible of data. Probably some folks here thought that the GTs were perfectly designed with full data as well :)

16. c.pucher

c.pucher Registered

Thats a different point of course :)

17. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Hehe i am not suggesting this is fact and has nothing to do with how fast the driver is which say that. Although the line between "be on the edge" and overdrive the car all the time can be very small. Even between overdriven and planted car.

True, spin can happen by suck driving, but there is no way you can prove you find and explore 100% of car ability if you don't spin or almost spin(you are probably over the edge)

18. speed1

speed1 Banned

Like they thought they where perfect from the day one, when they where trying to kill me when i claimed otherwise. :p

It is not an easy job, even if I don't know what all is needed but I know the real thing, and that's damn complex in detail. I think it is normal that some gaps will exist. Perhaps from experience the engine is designed and adapted to the available/accessible data. I've no idea.

Fact is that with data the output does not have to be necessarily optimal if the respective simulation is not designed to equivalent to the output of the real thing. Some data are even approximately in real, such as some tire data.

Howsoever the topic is a bit childish to describe a product during the development as slowly dying or uninteresting.

For me it is very interesting. :)

19. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

nKP was all about the physics, so it is for rF2. Except that rF2 also has a bigger name. The future is probably already compromised by the online structure and the fact that Assetto Corsa is the new accessible and drivable racing game people flock to like rFactor was.

20. Led566

Led566 Registered

When I read posts full of nonsense like this I always wondering why the poster bothers to spend 5 minute of his precious time to write on THIS forum.

Euthanasia?