Is RF2 loosing to AC the modders?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lgel, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

:D Look at the time and thought process you will save for other things then..

Dave

NRT

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

@ Spinelli:
    Sarcasm about the cars, and Domi's post was perfect. To only pick out such aspects you must really be looking at his videos thru tinted glasses, rF2 gets more praise than not and there is praise for the actual driving.

Just as I wrote before, some quality scratch content being worked on for AC could be ported over to rFactor 2 and be quite beneficial. I'd love for example the wip Donington Park, Montréal (and possibly Mosport) to come over. Likewise with a few cars, for example the Honda JGTC.

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I'm certainly not disagreeing with you :)

4. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I didn't mean that, haha, I wanted to point out the overall agreement of the same idea :p.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Guimengo, I was referring mostly to his post,

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

The absurd obsession with graphics that most people have is what sometimes makes me want to turn my back to the sim racing communities.
    Not turn my back to sim racing, of course not, but it's wildly depressing seeing how focused so many people are with graphics, while not giving credit where credit is due.
    Extremely destructive and entitled behaviour from a lot of users. Yuk...

The fact that "big voices" dismiss rF2 because of its graphics is just insane, imo.
    Nitpicking at its absolute worst, blowing minor issues way out of proportions. Plus it comes across as extremely shallow "gamer-like" behavior.
    Plus, imo, it's straight up madness that a sim like GSCE gets almost universal praise, even though it's more flawed in its core and is (obviously) graphically inferior to rF2.

The criticism is just so damn inconsistent all across, it's hard to believe.
    An otherwise respectable guy like Matt (who imo claims to be "all about the racing" (not a direct quote, mind you)) praises GSCE while almost completely overlooking its glaring flaws.
    It's just awesome, epic, etc. Okay... Why?? It's good, yeah, but not exactly epic in any sense of the word.
    rF2 gets the hammer because of minor "beauty flaws". How is that "all about the racing"?
    It seems that it's just about taking a stand, for the sake of that stand, and then stocking to it, no matter how illogical it may seem.
    Very human behaviour, but still...

But hey, I've stopped trying to understand it. It just isn't logical at all. Too inconsistent, and well... People will be people, I guess.
    The bottom line is that I'm enjoying rF2 more and more for each time I load it up and race.
    I'd just love to see it grow more. It deserves more than being sabotaged left and right for no valid reasons. It's pathetic, really.

End of rant.

7. Ernie

Ernie Registered

+1

8. Minibull

Minibull Member

A lot of it is for technically valid reasons, there are some fairly major issues for sure. They do need to be sorted out. It's just people patience tends to vary regarding these subjects XD
    Wet weather racing is pretty wonky atm, no doubt. But that isn't an issue for me, as at least there is a base there in the core and that they are going to be doing wet racing in this sim. So, if someone is going to bash wet weather for instance, they then need to immediately level that "criticism" at a sim that doesn't model wet weather at all. While it may be wrong as it stands, it is better than no weather.

After getting AC right at the start, I remember reading a quote from the devs saying that their graphics engine will need to be rewritten to model night racing. Not sure if that has changed, but that statement immediately gave me some odd feelings with regards to AC. I could then tick of the fun of driving at night through the Ring or Hockenheim(shut up, I like it XD). So thats the same as the wet weather above. Night racing is sometimes janky on certain tracks, some lighting problems. But it is still present at least. It's a critical part of endurance racing, so it is present.

9. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Not sure but I thought this thread was for modders?
    All I can say is drive a one hour race with some skilled league mates on a quality for rF2 made track with for example ISI F3.5.
    IMO for anyone who made this expirience (of course you must skilled enough to drive 60 min. with race speed) it is clear which decision he has to make.
    So easy is this :)
    Talk less drive more :D

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Some very valid points.
    +1

11. Domi

Domi Registered

Maybe for you, for me it's quite the opposite. I did some laps yesterday with the last GSCE update and visually it's superior due to the good performance of that old engine. And the texture work (and shaders) on the important stuff makes it much more photorealistic than ISI stuff (asphalt and curbs) because they don't have to use those damn ugly real road textures, which makes the track look like cartoon graphics. I see a lot of effort from ISI to recreate very accurate buildings, small details, etc, but lacks a bit where it really matters.

12. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I' d love to see the world through your eyes if you find GSCE photorealistic and rF2 more cartoony. :)

Not meant as a mean comment, mind you. :) everything is subjective.

Just found it funny and interesting that I experienced the exact opposite last night.
    2 hours of GSCE, then rF2, I found the difference in the level of photo realism baffling. Not to GSCE's advantage in any way.
    My eyes were literally tired after having focused on all those cartoony bright colors.

Sendt fra min LG-E400 med Tapatalk2

13. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Obviously we end saying the same things, like you, maybe X or Z sim can have better or ultra graphics but in the end is the "fun" and the "challenge" that makes you come back, and you know wich sim make me come back since 2005 ;)

14. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

As long as we keep getting mod tracks for rF2, I'm happy.

Car mods I can live without since nothing comes close to ISI's work anyway.

So I'm not worried about rF2's mod future. I can just drive the ISI F3s for the next few years and be perfectly content.

15. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I think it's funny that people only practice for 30 minutes or not at all for a race because it's "unrealistic" to have much practice time and then do twenty races a day which is very realistic :roll eyes: and then complain about lack of content.

The truth is that.....wait for it......sim racing is different from IRL racing and we all compensate for that differently and all have different tastes and reason we sim race.

I, for example, am struggling with why I am even still sim racing since I no longer race online. But I can say that without intense challenge, realistic or not, I would not be here.

Regarding graphics I believe the best way to think about the obsession with graphics is as a disability even though it is not a disability it may help those who don't care about graphics to understand that those who do often are not choosing to be that way. They are merely very visual people and the only reason I use the word disabled is because they are literally unable to enjoy "ugly" tracks.

Another disability or personality that people have is they want to win and don't care whether things are fair and in fact for some personality types winning via a stacked deck is the best way to win.

Also, just like in real life, you have what I call "normals" who don't believe in learning or complexity or details or effort or experimentation or curiosity or problem solving or design or engineering and they just want to BE immersed. They paid for the sim and are now ENTITLED to be immersed. They believe it is ISI's job to immerse them whether they have skills or not. They paid for the SW after all!

All of these dynamics and personality type line up exactly with real life. Steam and mass marketing are simply bringing in more "normals" for video jockies to prey upon.

I didn't drive the original PC sim "Indianapolis 500" but I can assure you only the most hardcore did and they didn't have all these problem people who were concerned with everything being shiny........and.......free.

16. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Are you sure?
    Best mod till now was Lola T280 and it is based on ISI Historics physics, new ASR 1992 mod is Indy's ISI (if I understood well) and it too had good acceptance.
    I thought that was the point anyway for ISI building at least one car for each period, so modders could use it as a base, and it looks it works.

17. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Don't get me wrong, those are great mods and I enjoy driving them, but I could be happy just driving ISI cars for the next few years :)

18. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

So now people whom like good graphics are disabled. funny stuff :p

19. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

I know, one of the worst posts I've read in this thread.

20. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

I don't know why graphics is such a big thing...I come to race...not look at pretty tree's..
    That's great to know, that the other racers in the server...are looking around instead of concentrating
    on not wrecking my ass.

I look for great handling, great racing and great companionship while racing...Not some animated Bimbo in a bikini..

But that's my opinion only...

Dave

NRT