Oculus rift support in rFactor 2 asap - poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, Aug 14, 2014.

?

Would you like to see oculus rift support asap?

1. Yes please

66.9%
  2. No rush

33.1%
  1. PorscheMR6

PorscheMR6 Registered

Isi's shedule:
    -give a statement in his thread: 2015
    -oculus rift support: 2036

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Or maybe just support it when it's consumer version rather than the current "beta" / testing version?

3. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Just got a tax rebate :D

How limited game wise is OR?
    Do games need to specifically support OR?
    Seems so because of this thread......
    Can any game be 'adapted' to support OR?

Would love 2142 & BF3 to support it.

4. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Doesnt' seem so unless RBR is still under development.

5. crz

crz Registered

They do need to support it, RBR has a mod to work with the Rift. If a games doesn't support it you can try third party software like tridef but the outcome is never the same than native Oculus Rift support.

6. stonec

stonec Registered

Doug: What about new technology with the virtual headsets? Any updated news to report?

Gjon: We did some work on it with the original Rift device. We already had some of the basics in there from earlier products and the Rift work enhanced this further. At some point soon we will carve out time and finish this up for not only the Rift but for all devices of this class.

7. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Had opportunity to test out Rift last week at one webstore. It only had this somewhat stupid roller coaster kind of demo where there was a miniature railroad built into a living room. Resolution wasn't that bad but of course left lot room for improvement as for example couldn't see properly to the other end of the room (well other side of this big hall as I was traveling in this miniature railroad as a miniature passenger). Also optics were precise only at the center of the vision and everything else further from the center was quite blurry. Maybe it was because would have needed different kind of lenses. To my surprise lag wasn't noticeable but afterward thought it was because wasn't moving my head fast. However after this short demonstration which lasted only a minute or two I got little bit nausea. Wasn't too worried as have read lots of people suffer from it with this first development kit. It had it's moments when I could almost believe I actually was IN the virtual world but to be honest this whole experience wasn't anywhere near of those people in YT videos.

After some time we left from the store said to my friend everything is probably much better in the second development kit so there was no reason to worry. He disagreed and said was pretty sure it actually was the second version. Couldn't believe it and had to visit the store again next day and yeah it indeed was DK2 which left me quite puzzled. I mean in it's current state it's nowhere near acceptable level at least to me personally. It was cool gadget alright but can't imagine of using it to any serious gaming. Sure there probably were lots of things wrong in this setup with it's fake world on top etc but still it's hard to imagine it could be improved to acceptable level without significant improvements to the hardware. I'd say 1440 resolution is absolutely minimum and most likely bigger resolution is needed for comfortable/longer continuous usage.

Great if some of you out there can already use it for simracing. You lucky bastards! :) Unfortunately I need to at least wait for first consumer version. Still have high hopes though!

8. samuelw

samuelw Registered

DK2 solves several of my sim racing problems. Previously I cycled through various FOV settings from 70 deg thru 35 deg and back without ever settling on an FOV I could live with. Related to FOV was a sense of speed and being able to judge the car's position in space. DK2 solved the FOV problems for me as expected.

Prior to DK2, I experienced moments in sims where the physics didn't feel right, real cars don't slide like what I was experiencing in the various sims. Sometimes I totally lost immersion and just saw a scene scrolling in front of me on on a screen. I attributed these wayward slides and loss of immersion to flaws in the phusics engine of the various sims. DK2 visually replicates slides just like you're in the car. DK2 does not look like a scene scrolling in front of you on a screen. I can't go back to sim racing on a monitor.

Unfortunately DK2 is too much trouble for me to use with rF2 the sim with the best physics. (IMHO) Assetto Corsa is also the same PITA to use DK2 with. Consequently I am waiting for rF2 to implement DK2 support and racing LFS with DK2 in the meantime. (good implementation) Resolution is iffy but doable. I am able to to crank AF and AA to max for LFS which helps.

I predict VR headsets will change everything. In a few years no one will game without a VR headset. We might even use VR headsets to watch movies. (think replays of games).

Happy racing,
    SW

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2014
  9. Minibull

Minibull Member

So ISI have stated their position on it, so I think none of this is going to change implementation yet, bar the next versions coming out and more people getting their hands on them.

What I do feel is this though. A handful of people have them, and those handful of people are darn right, it probably will be the next evolution in gaming/simming. For me, I can't wait as I could not be bothered with the hassle and cost of setting up a 3 screen setup. Makes sense to have just a small headset which then means I could build a rig anywhere in the house, in a bloody wardrobe even XD.

My issue with the calls for ISI to get on it now and those that say they will only play sims that have implemented OR is this. You are calling for the small group of devs to stop what they are doing and work on implementing features that currently only a handful of people can use or benefit from, specifically with developers kits. That to me makes no sense, and would probably irritate a bunch more people than are being irritated with no OR support.
    We hear talk of work on the contact patch currently, something which anyone who uses the sim will benefit from, or multiplayer tweaks, UI work, all that stuff that anyone who uses the product is likely to see an impact from. That to me seems like a far better use of dev time for the current users at the current time. Until the first consumer versions are confirmed and are being sorted out, that's when it makes sense to start shifting focus. And of course ISI already seem to have some stuff on the backburner regarding VR stuff.

10. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Just trying to give perspective from a Rift user.

VR support is a feature just the same as FFB or wheel support and to a lot of people that have used the Rift it's just as big a part of simulating racing as either of those things i.e. you can have a sim without FFB or wheel support but who would want to play that :)

Imagine you had a 60Hz monitor and most other people and RF2 only supported 30Hz monitors (in some strange alternate universe) you know there's an objectively better display option out there that would improve the experience, you'd keep banging on for support :D

For me personally I'd love it there was rift support in the next build but I'm a patient person so I don't really mind how long the wait is.

Also I'd love if there was more active moderation of these forums as far as merging topics goes and we could just have one rift thread with the ISI interview in a post at the top.

11. stonec

stonec Registered

I predict that VR will remain a niche product for the next couple of years. Consoles dictate how gaming market evolves; current-gen consoles will not support Rift nor any other VR that I am aware of. Watching movies with VR sounds like a fancy thing, but I see no advantage over 3D movies, much hyped but which eventually were a big fail, plus the movie experience is not something designed for rotating FOV.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

3D movies suck crap, especially live-action movies, the animated ones aren't as bad but it still feels too gimmickey unless the movie is shot in a way that makes the viewer feel like they are sort of in the movie, and the only one I've seen that does this O.K. is Avatar, the rest just do it as a pointless, showing-off, 3D gimmick. Video games are completely different experience, 3D is so damn amazing, especially in games with first-person views like first-person-shooters, racing games, etc. and even more so when you match that up with a realistic, low, FOV (I'm not sure how the whole in-game FOV setting works with headsets, but when adjusting it to a low and realistic FOV on 3D monitors it makes the 3D experience even more extraordinary.)

I don't think 3D will be a niche market anymore as of the Oculus consumer version release. There's just way too much development, too much hype, too many positive experiences, too much money, and too many big companies/corporations behind all these VR headsets for it to fail. I think it's already passed that point. This will stick, theres just too much positive about it, too much press, money, companies, etc.

13. hammer666

hammer666 Registered

What I don't get is these people saying they'll never play on single or triples again after going VR?
    When I was a kid, we had total immersion with the likes of this:

[​IMG]

Kids today don't know they're born.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2014
  14. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I'm perfectly fine with being a sim racing enthusiast. It's as fine a hobby/passion as anything. Ever since I started following Formula One as a kid I wanted to race cars. Unfortunately I don't come from a family with any kinds of money so it was never meant to be. This is the closest I will get to my dream, and that will have to do.

I most definitely think that the times where you 'had' to be awkward and half ashamed of being into video games and sims are well and truly over. It is for me anyway. Life's way too short, no point in not going as far as you can go with whatever you're into. :)

I for one can't wait to go VR when the Rift consumer model hits the market. :)

15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

KeiKei, blurriness around the peripheral view through the lens only really occurs if you don't set the lens to eye distance as close as possible.

16. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

The blurriness is there on DK2 no matter what, but it is more distracting on some apps. In addition to this, I wouldn't trust a demo tried in a random place, I' ve seen many reports of people that have said that somebody was giving demos of poorly set VR in public, so beware of that. Anyway, if you read Crescent Bay prototype (Consumer Version prototype) reviews, you will immediately understand something big is on the way, specially for simracing. People reported no blurriness round the edges like on DK2, and really crisp resolution even on fair distances, with the screendoor effect largely eliminated except on a totally blank screen. I have no doubts CV1 will have no screen door and the optics will be in a whole new level compared to DK2 (Crescent Bay prototype is already on a whole new level, and CV1 is going to be even better than that in some aspects according to Palmer Luckey)

Next week non-devs will be able to try Crescent Bay in public for the first time at SVVR, only developers have tried it so far mainly and we will see what consumers think about the device

3D has already failed as a product, because it was something the industry tried to push on consumers, marketing them as the next big thing. VR is something that was pushed by consumers from the bottom of it (Oculus Kickstarter) and it's been the dream of many since a few decades ago.

VR is going to kill 3D for good sooner rather than later

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I have no idea what you're saying, lol. VR is 3D, lol! Do you use your Rift in 2D mode? lol!

18. team355

team355 Registered

yep was going to buy a projector and use my head tracker...

will wait now for the rift, in full blown 3d wow

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

it's doing me proud, looking forward to the CV1 announcement expected in March
    ...in the meantime I'm having a total blast ( in Iracing for now )

[​IMG]

I must update my name-pic

20. Axe

Axe Registered

about 3 weeks ago I had the opportunity to try DK2. My fellow racer from my home league lent it to me for some days. I needed it urgently because I was in considering the investment in a projector which would allow me to use a real FOV without a drastic restriction of visibility and I wanted to make me sure it is not a wasting of money.
    Originally I had intended to write a post about the test, but when Tim Wheatley published his impressions in the video it would be useless, my impressions are very similar generally.
    Therefore I would like to mention only two things:
    - Ease of connecting, setup and use of oculus rift, small space requirements and low cost discouraged me from my intension to buy the projector. Even in terms of immersion I think oculus wins because it totally blocks the vision of the outside world. I will wait for consumer version and saved money will go to upgrade the computer. Of course someone needs the best possible right now at all cost and a projector or triple screens makes a sense for him even for 1 year but not my case.
    - I expect a transition like from the keyboards to the steering wheels within simracing community in the near future. The contribution of perception of the environment in the real perspective and dimensions is indeed revolutionary. A whole new level. This is a significant step forward to bring new quality in simulation to the masses. Even today it is possible to drive in rF2 (or another sim) with keyboard. But nobody does it because with steering wheel it is much better. And it will be possible to drive rF2 on a PC monitor forever. But majority will use some kind of VR device, probably oculus because they are well ahead.