New threads

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by coops, Aug 7, 2014.

1. coops

coops Banned

Not being nasty to any1 but this thread RF2 VS gsc 2013 gets more attention than any other. Maybe ISI could post something about RFACTOR 2 that we dont know that will get the attention of ppl that visit the forums to stay a bit longer as its a bit dead. Is rf2 going that well now that we dont need to talk about it and whats missing and what could be done and what the consumer wants to be done. Or if not maybe ISI will have to get updates out quicker so we stay talking about RF2.

THIS IS IMHO. we will see now how many ppl agree

2. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

I came here expecting to see the new clothes you bought.
    But I do agree with your comment anyway

3. stonec

stonec Registered

As far as I know, much of the staff are at holidays now, so don't expect them to post much upcoming weeks.

4. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

Good point, especially with Tim's new child, I suppose we shouldn't be expecting as much activity (at least that is projected to us) for a bit.

5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

This general discussion forum is a wee bit of a mess at the moment.

6. msportdan

msportdan Banned

sorry that was my bad that one, i didnt intend it to draw anything away from RF2. If anything the thread proves that it supersedes GSC in almost every way. Were all sim lovers here and just want to get the most of whats out there. Sometimes you need advice or opinion.

As i said its a honest bunch here, not many fan boys. If something is crap in rf people will say if not then they won't. Its a good mentality here. unlike other biast forums. :)

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I totally agree with that statement actually. In many ways this is indeed a much more "healthy" and contructive sim forum as opposed to many others out there.

When I go into the iRacing or Assetto Corsa forum (just a for instance) it's like walking straight into a fanatical religious sermon on a holy Sunday.
    I literally get the chills due to the sheer blind worship that goes on in those places. It's quite eerie.
    Nothing, and I mean nothing is up for debate when it comes to possible shortcomings of those sims. If you state a concern or question anything, you'll get nailed up on a burning cross.

I don't feel like that here, which is nice. ;)

8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I disagree, you can usually group people that do that stuff and it is very often the same few that go ballistic and silly. Like in VirtualR on the converted Portimão topic, one guy Michael Hornbuckle is spitting fire. He's horrible in AC forums the couple of times I've visited there. Here we do get a few biased guys too. It's nice that the gsc vs rf2 topic didn't develop into flame wars but actual proper posting and good stuff the majority of the time. We're all here because we're interested in rFactor 2 and I would love to have more information from ISI posted here but then it could lead to more issues of some being pesky about development, release date, this and that.

9. coops

coops Banned

i have nothing against any 1's threads or posts just came looking for a bit more about rf2. i find this a very reasonable forum when it comes to most things. there is the odd bad 1 here and there but to be expected didnt know most of them on holidays knew about tim having a new edition to the family and thought some1 would fill in for him.

i did send a msg to Tim asking if we could have a like button on ppls posts so we dont have so many, i agree or +1 posts, what do ppl think of that idea ???

10. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

just dont feed the troll

11. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

There are periods of time when they release tons of stuff and than there are quiet times. How long is it since the new build is out? Karts? New Indy cars? Indy MotorSpeedWay? New F R 3.5?

We now have 64bit rf2 which we did not have like 3 months ago and we can drive ridicious amout of cars on a very very accurate track we didnt have before. ISI is working, just let them and enjoy what you already have. If you cant, than you must not be aware of half the features it already offers.

12. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

Agree with your opinion as well. Along with having the feeling that there is not much going on with rF at the moment, ISI could really try to market the product somehow. Jeremy Miller's tweets was at least a start but he barely posts anything. I know it's not his main job and he probably has few spare time being busy with real work. Getting on Steam would be a good idea i think, many people dislike it but just think of the range of possible customers you could reach. And easy process of updates. Have more facebook posts on progress, some screenshots, videos, whatever.

What i fear at the moment is that rF2's publicity is just no where near we would like it to be. So many people are still sticking with rF1 or other sims like GSC, which i think are far less advanced technology wise compared to what rF2 offers you. Yet, some very important core features are still not completed after so much development time. Like weather, realroad and tire model.

Yes i do know its an "evolving product" but it might take so long to get to the point that it will not matter because people ( or especially modders ) might turn away from rF2 and to other sims, where i think that modders and their content is the most important thing to rF2. Modding was what boosted rF1 and that is what needs to happen with rF2.

I mean, i recently fired up Pcars again, having not played it for a year. Driving feel and tire model physics feel better in rF2, but what a difference a year of development made in pcars. Now comparing that to one year of rF2 development, what did we get? 64 bit, a few cars and tracks, bugfixes.

I'm a huge fan of the rfactor series since the first hour, and still enjoy it to this day, alot. Just trying to express my feelings of rF2 going nowhere at the moment.

13. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

I do agree that improvement of existing and development of new core features is very slow, its a shame but i reckon they simply dont have the people...

14. msportdan

msportdan Banned

IM quite new to rf and the sim racing thing as a whole. As i came from console in 2013.

But i do get the feeling rf will never be complete. As i feel the first one never was either. IM not expecting a forza like game. But i would just like to be able to do a custom season which works.

It seems Isi have all these great innovation's but fail to see them to the end. As a jump on and have a few laps with great ai, its great. But if ur looking for something more deep im not sure rf delivers on that aspect.

15. Minibull

Minibull Member

It really does no good to compare like that though, as I can count the ISI staff on my hands and a few of my toes. Who knows how many are the actual core engineers. I remember Tim saying something along the lines of them "looking for the right people to hire". Which I guess means bloody skilled and long term...or something XD

Steam is another kettle of fish too, IMO. I remember seeing posts for the Indy content in PCars on steam, and the second comment to be written was "Better than that s***ty rF2 version.". I mean, we know that is just a stupid and poor post, but that kind of thing we know would happen. You can see it on certain other sites at the minute anyway. You would have easy access for people to dump crap publicly about the product on the same page as you buy the product, not to mention Steam then taking their rather large cut of profits.
    Then how do you "control" the modding of the game on steam like with the current mod manager? Drag and drop installation isn't a great idea, and always made it a pain in the arse to delete mods.

I guess with rF2 itself, once things are polished off a bit more I guess we would see them push the product more. Once the tools for mods and servers are tweaked a little bit, HDR and weather is sorted out, any change to the UI or the minimalist UI implemented, graphics tweaks, etc. That's how I see it anyway. Once things are a bit more stable and sorted, go and start letting us know what the software is actually doing and capable of.
    I'm still wondering what they could brag about, haha XD

16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Depends on what your definition of 'deep' is.

If rF2 isn't 'deep' I really couldn't say what is.

Sendt fra min LG-E400 med Tapatalk2

17. msportdan

msportdan Banned

sim wise its the deepest out there imo.

but features like game modes... seasons etc ( idont want challenges and all that crap) just something to inspire you to race the AI>

18. Minibull

Minibull Member

Depends on what you are looking for in your chosen sim and what you would define as deep. If you are looking for a nicely crafted career mode, then I wouldn't look here just yet. Car modding, another great area, but I wouldn't come here. Jaw dropping graphics, again no.
    In terms of the pure aspect of simulating a race, it does very well and is very deep. Tyre management in this is such good fun in a long race. It actually matters how you drive, the setup you drive and the effects it has on your tyres in a stint. You may think "Yeah, I'll try and outbrake this guy for a pass", but you may flatspot real badly if you muck it up, or start pushing your fronts way too hard trying. Are you good at dealing with a tail happy car, you might be able to easily control the wear on your fronts, or balance a car that really hammers the fronts up.
    Real road adds another nice layer, especially as it is now controllable. I can't wait for weather to get finished off. That will add so much to it. Just imagine running a Le Man 24 hour race. Changing weather and wind, rain at different parts of the track, the sunset and sunrise. Just awesome coolness when it comes to simulating racing vehicles around a track.
    That is what it does well to me. If you can, get online and get in with a league that suits you, and you will find so much more to the actual racing. I've only done one championship in a league, but it was the most exciting racing I'd ever had. A few moments in races that were proper exciting/heart beating stuff. AI will never get near that.

19. msportdan

msportdan Banned

just something as simple as Race07 had, RE: features.

20. stonec

stonec Registered

Wel let's look at features/content that has been added during last year:

- 64 bit
    - Realroad evolving in correct speed
    - Race rejoins working
    - Automated HDR
    - Better smoke/spray
    - Better online code & collisions
    - Probably bunch of things I forgot

- Karts and kart track
    - Indy track & DW12
    - Civic
    - Quad
    - Mores
    - Loch Drummond
    - Panoz
    - FR3.5 2014
    - Howston

I don't think this is bad development rate for a team sized of ISI. Especially content (cars/tracks) side is quick if not quicker than competitors. There are many other factors that make rF2 not such a popular platform at moment. One is Steam, which ISI is apparently looking into now, but two years too late. Another is the online payment model, which makes many not want to renew and consequently empty servers. You are essentially paying for the worst feature of rF2: Online mode, which has had join button issues, content autodownload is difficult to set up and not working for most servers, skin transfer issues, matchmaker lacking basic functionality, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014