Dallara DW 12 Indycar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brettfan, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Brettfan

Brettfan Registered

Yesterday i downloaded the Dallara DW 12 Indycar,was driving it on the Monza track and compared it to the Dallara Indycar in iRacing,both on the Laguna Seca track.In my opinion,the Indycar in rFactor 2 is more difficult to drive,especially what about Braking.Unfortunately i don't know who is right,rFactor2 or iRacing,because i never had been driving an Indycar in reality,only i had been driving a Race kart(100cc,28hp).But in any case,the comparison for me was interesting.Naturally,Race cars have much grip:But so much grip like the Dallara Indycar on the Laguna Seca track in iRacing,in reality you will only have under the very very best conditions,i would think.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
  2. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

More difficult? I don't even think there's wheelspin in second gear. :confused:

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

RF2 Indy is Beta and a rush job, we all waiting for the real thing to be released :)

4. Brettfan

Brettfan Registered

If the Dallara Indycar in iRacing comes near to the truth,then an Indycar is easier to drive than i thought it ever.

5. Brettfan

Brettfan Registered

Also if it is still a Beta,already it seems to be interesting for practice,because not on every day in reality you will have so much grip like the Dallara Indycar for example on the Laguna Seca track it has in iRacing.

6. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

The rF2 car is hilarious, I can run real world Q times on the black tires with full fuel at Indy 2014 - and I'm a mid pack at best guy when it comes to pure pace. Not to mention the rear end has to be coaxed to break traction, which cannot be further from the truth. The DW12 in rF2 is IMO one of the worst cars here, even on a green track it's super mega extreme grip, and the rear tires never come fully up to temp.

Meanwhile, despite way more practice in iRacing at Mid Ohio this week, I'm still about a second, second and a half off real world times in comparable weather, which would put me well, mid pack.

Just goes to show how much is subject to opinion.

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

yes they do seem ultra grippy & almost as if a bit of traction control is on,

however ISI has new data & an update is coming, I'm really looking forward to this

8. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I was seeing everybody crashing in Mid-Ohio videos!

9. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Good. I thought they were trying to imitate Assetto Corsa.

10. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I found it very nice to drive and believable. I don't think that real thing is a skid fest. If you guys are 2 sec. faster than real life don't forget about your neck integrity factor. It's easy to push in your home.

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I not too concerned with real world times more so to be within a second of room times.

What fuel and tyre X did you use Empty.

Indy car on super speedway uses 4mpg including parade and pace laps ( 3mpg for road courses ) ...online you are hammer down 100% so should be slightly more .... ( for sprint type server sessions I mean )

12. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

For once I agree with EB. the following are facts, not opinions:
    -no push to pass
    -can't choose options and primaries in a race, you can only race what you started on
    -no weight jacker
    -not possible to buzz the rear tires out of corners
    -toe options are only symmetrical
    -wrong fuel tank size
    -no boost options in car setup
    -no fuel settings (boost options effectively) in-cockpit
    -AI starts with the wrong aero package on most tracks unless a modification is done to the track

facts open to discussion
    -rear tires won't heat up and last much better than fronts
    -real Indycars eat rears (ask Montoya in the first 3 races of 2014; watch the 2012 St Pete race- DiSilvestro was an extreme example)
    -fronts overheat too much, wear too much
    -car behavior is not realistic. This car snaps to forward in a way I have experienced with no other car- like a rubber band keeps it pointed forward, though it is possible to loop it

IMHO this is not even an Indycar. It lacks the driving behaviors and parts that a real DW12 has. I wish ISI would prioritize fixing existing content

13. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

the rear tires never coming up to temp is flat out lies. Forum users here actually use rf2 so you can't get away with the same lies you can on your videos. Unbelievable at the BS this guy spews. It's already been pointed out by someone who actually likes this liar that the exact same reasons he loved iRs dw12 he hated rF2s. Anyways, enjoy your trolling, great thread. :)

Data from a slow guy:

Surely you aliens could do much better with your tire temps. :rolleyes:

If you're going to call it crap, call it crap, it's an impossible opinion to argue. I just don't understand the point of spreading lies.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2014
  14. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

I CAN get my rear tires to spin, I use less downforce. That also makes them heat up more.

I watched Mid-Ohio today, and the fastest time was 1:07.1. I can do 1:06.783. Doesn't make me faster than Sebastian Bourdais, it makes me braver, because I am not risking my life. I mean, should I be on the F1 grid, because I can beat Michael Schumacher's time at Monza?

15. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

So you watched indy at Mid Ohio and found out that you are the man.

This is the naked truth, please don`t compare you with Schumi.

:p

16. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

It was a sarcastic statement proving that you SHOULD go faster in a sim than in real life. Why? No risk. You wreck, you press CTRL Y.

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I agree with the too planted rear. But please don't judge based on real world lap times. That is honestly the stupidest comparison one could do. Do we have perfectly simulated tracks, with perfectly simulated concrete/asphalt, with perfectly simulated chemical reactions from the tyre rubber to the track concrete/asphalt, and so on and so on and so on. I'll go mod a a car in the F1 2002 game and make it lap the exact same times as real-life...Does that mean it's now magically the most realistic thing ever? This sounds like a Need for Speed or Forza forum...Comparing real lap times as a way of judging vehicle physics, wow....

The real-life Dallara Indycar does have an understeer-biased natural characteristic of it's general behavior, however once pushed really hard you see the real-life driver doing tons of corrections, big slides, small slides, etc. Lots of sliding from both ends, but in sims it's not like that.

You can see a lot of corner-entry oversteer especially with Will Power quali laps. He has great skill and can hold it right on the limit, so it's hard for some people to spot because he doesn't actually countersteer, but you can see the car getting right to the edge of almost having to countersteer on entry because you can see him stop increasing the steering lock, and then half a second or so later he starts adding more lock again. Very "free" rear end under turn in and mid-corner as well. Then again it's probably setup induced by Will, and also if you don't push hard enough and move enough weight off the rear-end then it would probably revert back to it's natural characteristic of understeer.

The ISI needs to have a more free rear-end, but it can't just be a snap, we have to be able to (provided you are skilled enough, and have good enough reactions) get the cars in big slides with a lot of steering lock correction. I see so many huge, hairy slides in real-life Indy that get corrected with a lot of steering lock, but I also see some hard to correct snap-ish spins. The issue with every sim is to be able to have both, the very hard to control slides, and the big ones where you can save it with lots of steering lock. No sim can do this yet, especially with the very fast, top-end race cars.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2014
  18. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

The DW12 has inherent understeer in its default setup. Consequently the fronts let go first and the rears stay planted and stay cool.
    This understeer setting makes it very easy to drive at entry level but is slower and shreds tyres.
    Setting up the car for more neutral handling and to get the rears working harder is not that difficult and essential in any race longer than 10 laps.

Stiffen rear end (springs, ARB, Slow Bump shocks)
    Soften front end
    Lower diff lock on power to zero.
    You will get the rear tyres involved.

Having done so tyre wear is pretty even and lap times are better.
    We ran a 90 min race at Suzuka and this car produced great racing. The Aliens still won but the mid pack were on the same lap after 49 laps which was cool.
    Its easier to drive than the FR 3.5 2014 and significantly easier than the F ISI Masters.
    IMO there is a place for fast accessible racing in Multiplayer.

Sometimes it seems no one is ever happy. For months we heard those complaints of low grip (driving on ice I think was the term). Then a nice grippy easy to race open wheeler comes along and whammo its too easy.
    Oh well. I think its a great car and in the community I race with we will run a league and it will be fun. I will also race FR 3.5 2014 and that will be fun too. Just much harder , more serious and more humbling.

19. Sherwin92

Sherwin92 Registered

To be fair, if you use the "racey" setup ISI provided the car is already a lot more "fun" to drive. What will change in the update, we will have to wait and see

20. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

Might be a stupid question but are you running the Road configuration or Oval?