Build 798 Tires

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jimcarrel, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Minibull

Minibull Member

Right, so now what I'd want to see is the data that posters here said they had, regarding temps and slip angles. If they have some decent data, then that might actually give a bit of proof to their feelings with the tyres.

2. Eddy

Eddy Registered

3. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

That don't mean it's not different and only placebo feeling. I'm now 100% sure something improved from past few build around FFB at least (as this is the last link to our hands). As said, it could accumulation of small changes from past builds, or another routines which changed fps, temperatures of tires, etc. In any case what's important is the main feeling, and RR changes can also explain it.

4. matf1

matf1 Registered

Same. As soon as I had my first race, I felt it. I put it down to realroad though, not tyres or FF. I've obsessively been racing the T5 Bayro around the traps. 30 minute races with a dash of rain here and there(like a few others I see). I've been sim racing since day dot and with this combo all through last patch. This patch though... I have never in my life been so in control of a car. I am tuned into it so well, it feels like you can discern the surface of the tyre from the core... and then use it.
    Pure Nirvana!

5. samuelw

samuelw Registered

My first sensation was rF2 seemed more fluid running 64 bit. Could the new build be giving more feedback resulting in a better feel?
    SW

6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

7. TJones

TJones Registered

No, Tim gave a statement about build798 tires: "No. I've seen threads where people say something is different. I'm not aware of anything with tire or fb. Neither was Jeremy."

Post #20

8. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Thanks. I have read it now. Since the thread title didn't have anything to do with b798 tires I though you had confused the link.

It is curious to see that after reading this post Tim replied about it in another thread. Isiforums is getting more and more complicated to follow...

And, finally, apparently no intentional tire or ffb changes have been introduced. At least not that Tim or Jeremy are aware. So who should we believe now? Isi or Placebo Team?
    Sorry I couldn't resist.

9. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

indeed, I maybe should have asked Tim in this thread as my question was a bit OT in the other:) I'm trying not to read to much into Tim's statement of possible problems with the DW12 at the time, but him mentioning the contact patch model as one of the possible culprits might mean we'll still see an update, even if the perceived changes with the current build apparently have other roots.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2014
  10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

"The Placebo Team"... Cute.

You're still missing the point I'm afraid.

I think most people on this thread were aware, even before Tim's reply, that the change in feel wasn't down to direct changes in the tires or force feedback.
    As I have pointed out to you numerous times.

There's no surprise in that response from Tim. If substantial changes had been made to either tires or ffb, the change log would've revealed it.
    Tim only denies changes made to tires and ffb though. Nothing else. So it could be something else.

And I could be wrong. I'm not a member of the Placebo Team for nothing, you know... Always stand up for the cause..! :cool:

11. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Believe in you Spaskis, that's the most important thing, no? (honestly, no ironic mode here) and let us know your feeling when you'll be able to test it :)

12. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Registering for Placebo Team :cool:

I feel something different like everyone else. I think it's due to the fact that this is the first non-testing 64-bit exe? The last build we had to rename the exe ourselves to "test". This update has official 64-bit binaries.

Then again, I'm assuming Placebo Team is all on 64-bit OSs :D

13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

At your service sir :cool:

14. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

My money is on Team Spazkis as well. I'll forget the fact that he hasn't done a single lap of rF2 in weeks. :)

P.S I've noticed changes in the multiplayer file after a build which was never mentioned in the build notes so IMO it's quite possible for other changes to have been made without build notes.

15. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I don't FEEL anything different- it's the extra heating of the rear tires and balance of the cars moving toward the rear axle that has forced me to change my setups. That's not placebo. I was working my car up for a race in build 770, then when 798 came out I had to change that setup. That setup was one that worked for me for a lot of races with that same car, then as soon as 798 came out I had to change the balance of the car.

It may not be the tires, but it is something to do with the vehicle dynamics. It could be the driveline, dampers, or any number of things- but there WAS a change made in 798

16. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I promise I'll try and I'll post my sincere opinion. Today I have been driving exclusively B770 preparing tomorrows race with that build.

By the end of the race I will have driven over a hundred laps with Civics in Pocoyo Park which is one of the most demanding tracks regarding tire temperature build up and hence tire consumption.

I will then try B798 and be in better position to appreciate any changes. BTW if someone wants to race please pm me. The race is at 22pm western European time.

17. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

It'll be interesting to see- but I was working up a RWD car, the Civic is of course FWD.

18. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Regardless my personal opinion I recommend everybody to read the thread starting from the first post to review the comments some people made.

Those combined by ISI's "non official" denial in othdr thread about tire or ffb changes provokes a big uncertainy now...
    Are b798 tires night and day as someone even poste? or are they the same as Tim suggested?

If it had been denied at the proper moment the placebo effect would have been opposite and many people wouldn't have perceived any changes.

And please do not interpret this sentence as a confirmation from my side that B798 tires changed or not. I just mean that some people among all who reported perceiving important changes where influenced by a placebo effect. Those would have probably perceived no changes if ISI had posted the first reply to the thread.

What I mean with this is that is unavoidable to avoid getting a distorted perception of something when already heard opinions about it. We are humans. Thats the reason why I asked for a quick confirmation or denial. Thanks for bearing me!

19. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

That's funny because I've had similar impression between rear and front tires. Actually thought it was fronts not heating up that much as with previous build but who knows maybe I'm driving more gentle now - which would make sense if the setup is now more oversteering than before. Would also explain why it seems like I can now keep tire temperatures in control better. Well final truth about controlling tire temps will come out on Sunday when we're going to have the next endurance race and fast guys show what's the real pace I should be able to keep up with. :)

Placebo, subtle changes in physics or some bug in the sim... I really don't care because driving is still as fun as it has always been with rF2 - and it's still getting better almost build by build. Also no other sim before has given me so much feedback to rely on. Nowadays I'm driving more and more guided by feeling which is kind of amusing. I mean at the same time you need to be a race car engineer relying on pure logic/data but at the same time you need to be as sensitive as possible to be able to feel what the car is doing on different phases/places to be able to make right adjustments to setup. Those two things, pure logic and feelings, usually have little to do with each others but in simracing it separates champions from fast guys. At least I believe so. :)

20. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I think I know where you are coming from. I am former Falcon 4 "pilot". I downloaded one of the newest and best versions (still had my original Squadron leader manual and game disc to verify with. Then I thought "this will be like doing a term as University to get back up tp speed with this."

I am loving Rf2 at the moment and like Freddy above cant wait for a good endurance season to fire up. Thats where the true depth of the sim plays out IMO.

I cant say that I have noticed any difference in tyres and the last two cars I had to setup were getting very high temps and shredding front tyres through understeer, and not enough temp in rear tyres so I cant see any increase in front grip or rear temps.
    However I seem to be getting more feel for what front and rear are doing which is helping me set cars up.
    FFB is finer on the limit with a kind of lightness and vibration or "jiggle" on the limit of slip.
    Maybe the newest build has optimised CPU usage a touch and there is more headroom to handle physics??
    Dont know I'm not very techie.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014