rfactor 2: current state of clutch & drivetrain simulation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Sorry Adrien, but you had to of known this was going to turn into a "rF2 sucks" thread. Guy has been on a rF2 hate crusade on FB for quite sometime now. He's doing it on other places I'm sure but I have seen his name pop up there spewing some kind of non sense. Anyway, enjoy fellas. :)

2. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

It's probably a more stable platform for development. If rF2 is that messed up for users, it must be a nightmare for modders.

3. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

It'll be interesting to see if the historix guys can figure out how to overcome the Understeer problem with ac. For me that is a non starter. It is virtually impossible to rotate the car without braking traction via brakes or coast. Easy to test. Push the clutch in turn the vehicle manipulating the weight as far forward as you like understeers every time on every vehicle I have tested. Fatal flaw that nkp does not have. Amazing that they have gone backward but again I would of course be incredibly pleased if someone could overcome this even if have to fudge physics because engine is flawed but even better if kunos would fix so would be like nkp which was as good or better than anything that came before it. Puzzling to say the least.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

...err that is imo

Whining about it ? how is that whining ?
    Since when has preferring one engine over another been considered whining. ?

But what others can say stuff like that or do you think he is whining about rF2 photo realism and modding problems. lol ?

I could not really care about AC mod, rF2 is my sim fullstop ( I have both AC and pCARS 0 ..........and this is rF2 forum in case you have not noticed.

But I don't go to AC or pCARS or whatever sites promoting rF2 mods either. lol gessus

What I said stands ( imho ) ............ if you think AC is better physics tyres and chassis that is your prerogative.

:)

5. coops

coops Banned

agree

6. kro388th

kro388th Registered

V8SC series with no pit stops ? I dont think the hardcore simmers are that fond of AC for only a few reasons ... thats just one .. AC is AC and for what it is its great ! i have both and see AC for sprint raceing mostly as thats about all you can do other than hot lap with it .. jmo

7. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Thanks Adrianstealth. It is clearly stated that HistoyX have far from abandoned rF2 in Favour of AC.
    For those without Facebook I copied the statement.

"Hi there!
    after the video and these few screenshots we posted last week a lot of discussion from the community has followed. We're very happy to see the amazing support we still get, no matter if you think we're going to release the next mod for rFactor2, Assetto Corsa or both. So, thanks for that!
    Having said that please note we haven't said we're moving from rF2 to AC. We haven't discarded choosing AC over rF2 either. At this point there's no final decision about what platform we're going to use. The thing is that it's not an easy decision and as a team we need to agree on that (and about a lot of other things). It's as simple as that
    We have 4 cars on AC now. In rF2 there're way more (even a new working UI for this rF2 version was created back on 2012) but still nothing has been decided yet.
    If you are familiar with our mod for rF1 you probably know that we don't release anything unless we think we've reached the highest quality level we can get at that point. We say this to make clear that you're not going to see anything coming from us any soon, no matter the sim you think about.
    But to go back to what is important to clarify with this post: don't worry.. no matter the chosen platform/s or the focus of our next project we'll let you know with an official statement when the moment comes
    Thanks once more for your continuous support!
    Ps. Just in the case someone thinks we are just trying to create hype around us: let me tell you that all this started as a kind response to someone who wanted to see a specific car on AC"

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

due to historX issuing their statement on Facebook -which is good news.
    I've renamed this thread due to the clutch posts etc

9. speed1

speed1 Banned

Wasn't ISI working on a complete new drivetrain tec, where the clutch is a part of it. I'm sure they are doing lots of things and they will never stop but unfortunately people have not enough patience. I see this guys developing an high quality simulation engine in the first place, the game around is second and takes just the time off to focus on more important things but people call after those unimportant gamey features, which may changes the priority of others.

10. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

The new rF2 drivetrain was the changed balktorque value so you have to at least lift to shift some cars with it implemented (like the Howstons). With rF2 you can freely switch between paddles and h-shifter on any car and we all know what the clutch in rF2 is like I'm sure. With AC, if you have a clutch pedal mapped in your preferences, if you have a h-shifter and you use manual clutch, the game forces you to use that h-shifter in cars that have no paddle shifters and the game forces you to either match revs or use the clutch.

I don't believe I have said anything negative about rF2 in this thread. I have stated some facts about the clutch and offered an opinion about the strengths and weaknesses of each sim.

11. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

From previous posts by Tim I thought ISI is working on a new driveline model that will be implemented in the core, when that is released I expect it will include realistic requirements for rev-matching and clutch use.

12. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I must say for the first time I am getting the feeling that it is show time more than ever as leagues and modders are making decisions between next gen sims. It is unfortunate because I would prefer that both sims develop at their pace over time but really getting a feeling of a large rift in sim racing about to occur.

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I see rfactor 2 firmly in the "next gen sim" category.

I was going to make some modifications to my clutch pedal to use manually but now fearing that its best to wait until the updates come for rf2 ?

drivetrain & tire contact patch updates I'm very much looking forward too

14. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

They are. The Howston's I believe were a start, but this isn't the thread for such logical discussion.

15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I don't follow V8SC but even if that were the case that the good/best drivers are all right foot brakers…..that doesn't prove that left foot braking is inferior in V8SC. You could perhaps argue that case if there are an even number of LFB'ers and RFB'ers in V8SC, otherwise you've made a unfair judgement. For example, if it were factually true that LFB in V8SC is indeed superior, just because one driver is using LFB'ing does not mean he is automatically better than someone who is a RFB'er. There is a bell curve of skill that i would think holds more significance than the use of a LFB advantage. That being said, perhaps the V8SC's are not suited well to LFB'ing due to the advantage of RFB to get the downshift revs better match….i don't know.

But out of interest, anyone know what the proportion of LFB'ers to RFB'ers is in V8SC's?

16. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Damn, I'll have to try that. Thanks.

17. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Start watching the races. You won't be disappointed by the show, that's for sure! They show a lot of onboards, a lot of technical stuff is covered and a lot of footwell cams. This is all the stuff that sets them apart from other touring car series for me. They are some of the best racers in the world.

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Not sure about now, but as of a few months back, I had the fastest time in the world according to AC's two hotlap apps, with the Fiat 500, regular street-tyre version, at Magione. I was using an H-Shifter with no aids, and not only was I never, ever touching the clutch pedal on downshifts, but there would be a small grinding noise on literally just about every single downshift. Yet, not only did I keep lapping and lapping, but I was lapping very hard and quickly and managed to get the number 1 time. So, unless something has changed in the past few months, there is hardly a need for using the clutch in AC, and some people therefore seem to be over-rating the clutch modeling in AC.
    No. That clutch slip in the Howstons from a bad upshift is a sort of temporary placeholder to help simulate a bad shift UNTIL the full driveline model comes out.

19. speed1

speed1 Banned

It's time to simulate shift effects on the stick. Sometime ago i was going to develope a ffb joystick as a h-shifter but changelled it because of lack of time and no software support.

I'm sure ISI could develope that and implement in code that it wouldn't be possible to push the stick without to overcome a resistance, rattling effect or whatever, depending on the situation. The tec is already there with the ffb joysticks, it just needs the shifter mechanics and code for. Until than we are still a bit gamey, no matter which software u use. The software need to support specific hardware to bring car simulation into your living rooms, and there is still a long way to go for the public software and hardware industry.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2014
  20. nascar2112

nascar2112 Registered

I watch V8 supercars, not every driver at the sharp end right foot brakes, Fabian Coulthard won a few races, and hes a left foot braker