Free DTM mod?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AdrianF1, Jul 14, 2014.

1. AdrianF1

AdrianF1 Registered

Hi everyone,

I've been watching the last two DTM seasons and I think it's a fantastic championship where all the drivers are very equaled and it encouraged me to try a DTM mod for rFactor. I tried the 2013 DTM season mod and it was very good, really enjoyable. But now I play rF2 and I've seen that there is only one DTM mod (done by URD), which is a payware mod (and looks fantastic by the way). I don't want to criticise the creators of the mod at all but there are some people like me or some of my friends that can't afford to pay for a single mod. Is someone thinking in doing another DTM mod or simply converting the 2013 mod from rF1 to rF2? I'm not requesting a superb mod like the URD mod seems to be. I just want to enjoy of such a funny competition like the DTM is on rF2.

Best regards, Adrian. :)

2. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Have you tried his trial car?

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I see a project :)

What dtm mod do you mean to convert?
    I can see if I can get a hold of the maker.

4. AdrianF1

AdrianF1 Registered

Yes but I can't join a server that uses the full mod. I would like to see the three different cars, but it isn't really important.

I mean the DTM 2013 Blaze Version done by BlazeMotorsport.eu

5. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I wouldn't be to worried at this stage. There's a heap of different series people are wanting or are waiting for to come to rF2. Modding for it ATM isn't easy, It has a lot of issues that need to be sorted out. When they are you'll see more cars and tracks start to be released.
    There's probably a heap of teams that have their work in rF2 but are doing it smart and "not" putting themselves under pressure by announcing anything. As a modder or a team member so I know, The pet hate is those that want stuff released that aren't finished. Best to just stay quiet and work on it as rF2 changes, for better or worse.

I remember way back ISI said making it harder to add content to rF2 will or should help to reduce the amount of bad conversions or just badly made content being made. Up till now though it appears that the mod teams that want to do the best content are sitting on the fence. Free content is as much work and is as hard to do right as payware. As payware updating is expected. As freeware, the teams don't want to be continuously reviewing and updating their content. Best for us to get it right the first time and move on. ATM rF2 doesn't allow you to do that.
    Tracks ATM seem to be able to get away with to many updates but at times are still needs. As free content these guy's would rather be working on new content then spending many hours re-converting the models to GMT because something has changed in rF2. Redoing physic files for the tracks, AI racing line. and on and on. It's not a 5 minute fix by any means.

6. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Are you saying paying for quality might be a good move at some point? ;)

7. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

No. That's not it at all. But you make a good point. I want buy mods. I want buy URD cars. But that's my choice. As it is for everyone. But I wont have bad quality either.

It's funny how you got that from my post, it wasn't meant to. Payware is great for those that can afford or want rF2 to go down the iRacing road. I don't! Though with iRacing you never actually "own" anything. Payware in rF2 would be different ATM. If you own the URD cars and URD close the door (so to speak) you still own and can use that content.

To put more plain, rF2 Freeware modders will start releasing stuff when rF2 is far more stable. Freeware is just as hard to do so take up the same time to build as payware. Why expect freeware to update all the time? They wont and I don't blame them. They don't wont to release low quality or heaven forbid! BETA versions 0.1 and on....

After 3 years of rF2 being a BETA release, don't expect freeware or payware for that matter to be any better.

8. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Pretty much why I wouldn't get iRacing even at a discount and why I won't spend more on Raceroom.

I just wanted to make some people think that amateurs working for free can't be expected to put in the effort all the time. I know you weren't saying that. Paid quality over free crap all the time, but I guess I couldn't afford everything. Still, I make donations left and right when I can.

9. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

You'll find that all the team members in commercial work started off as those amateurs working on freeware.
    I'm hard pressed to view many free content producers as "amateurs". True we all start that way but there is a lot of content that has been produced for rF1, SimBin and other modable sims, NASCAR 2003 and F1Challenge that controdics that term. rF2 has got high quality content free from the community right now. I don't think it's necessary to name them.
    All because it's free, doesn't make it low quality. Though many here seam to think it does.

It would help freeware producers if more people would do this. Unfortunately this is not the case. It's very rare for people to donate at all.

10. c.pucher

c.pucher Registered

The term 'amateur' doesn't necessarily mean that the person referred to is less skilled. It means the person doesn't make his living from what he is doing. In contrast a 'profi' can live from what he is doing (gets paid good enough) although he might be not as skilled as some 'amateurs'.
    Think thats what realkman666 meant.

11. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Yeah, true.

My point though was freeware, amateurs, isn't and shouldn't be seen as lesser quality then the so called paid professional. I say so call because it's been my experience by working on both some amateur (none paid) work is the Superior quality. Reading posts throughout this forum many people seam to think the none paid mod groups produce lesser quality as a standard. This is far from accurate.

12. Tirex

Tirex Registered

6,50 €.......
    do you smoke?

13. sFactor

sFactor Registered

But what happens when ISI pulls the plug on RF2 at some point in the future (many many years from now hopefully)? Then we can race single player only?

Please ISI, bring back LAN only racing. No pings or lags to worry about in RF1 LAN parties! Plus, as long as there is an old windows box around we can play for ever! Theoretically...

14. AdrianF1

AdrianF1 Registered

No, but if I could pay for every car, I would be playing iRacing. I feel myself lucky to own rFactor 2 and a wheel to play considering that I'm a student and I don't earn money for a job.

novaba likes this.
  15. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

ISI have already answered this question. Must admit it was one of the first ones asked so it was a few years ago. I'm not going to try and find the ISI statement, maybe Tim can but it went something like... " If or when ISI as a company closes for what ever reason and/or matchmake is closed ISI would update the coding so the sim can still be used online. Of cause matchmaker want be there so a server list will not be available. But you still have as a league or a group of friends to use the IP address connection.

ATM LAN racing with rF2 needs to have each PC connected to the net so it can be authenticated. When you connect up a LAN you use a large router. So one internet connection will work for all. We've have up to 25 at a LAN. The net connection can be as simple as a prepaid USB. Cheap and portable.
    Yes LAN's are or would have to be the best way to enjoy your racing. We used to start around 12 in the afternoon and go till 2 or 3am from Saturday to Sunday.

With redone code LAN connections will work like rFactor does now.

Yes, your putting your faith in a company to do as they have said and stand by their statement but really rF2 will be around for a few years and if ISI and matchmaker does close down you would have and still would have far more then you would/do if the same happens to iRacing.

16. sFactor

sFactor Registered

Thanks D.Painter!

I have been testing since the early days but I missed any topics related to what you have mentioned. But that is at least some reassurance.

The hope is, rFactor 3 will be well underway before rF2 is gone.

I must admit though, I still spend a fair amount of time in rF1, but that is becoming less and less and the next gen of sims mature.