Track lane lines painting in real-time

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by insatiant, Jul 12, 2014.

1. insatiant

insatiant Registered

On tracks like Le Mans and Mid-Ohio, the lane lines seem to be painting in real-time - not very far out in front of the car, with too wide an initial spread:

View attachment 13542

View attachment 13543

Is this something I can configure/correct for in-game or via a player.JSON setting, or rather an attribute of the tracks, which I can't change w/o invalidating them for on-line play? Thanks.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

What are your graphics settings? That looks like a low texture filtering setting, to me at least.

3. Rinussie

Rinussie Registered

There is a setting in player.json in the graphics section called Texture Sharpening.

Here you can set blur effect from 0 to 5.

1 is very blurry like yours 5 is auto setting (standard)

Set it to 3, 4 or 5

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2014
  4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

This effect can also be caused if the texture bias is set to high in the material itself. For road materials I use very negative values as -4. If that's the case, the track would need to be updated to avoid it.

5. insatiant

insatiant Registered

Thanks very much - that was it!

Weeks ago, I had set Texture Sharpening to 0 in player.json in order to eliminate jaggies while running very low AA (the old Alt-M), so details like fences look good while still maintaining high FPS. Setting it back to something like 3 just now made the road lines look better, but the jaggies returned elsewhere.

I hadn't noticed the issue immediately, so didn't put the two together. Looking at it, I think I like the trade regarding jaggies and am going to stick with 0. But, it's good to understand it.

6. insatiant

insatiant Registered

Surely right. A good number of tracks don't exhibit the issue, even with Texture Sharpening off.