Any reason why some people are afraid of rF2 and need to dump on it regularly?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by realkman666, Jul 7, 2014.

1. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Let's just look at this post here. rFactor 2 is again being represented as an old and weird-looking crappy game with cars ripped from console games. I'm not saying this is a case of lawsuit time, but what is the story behind this frequent misrepresentation? The video even makes Simraceway look good in comparison. I like it, but it's not a wonder visually.

It's not a great website by any stretch, but it still shows rF2 in a negative light to potential customers.

http://www.virtualr.net/one-car-one-track-in-five-sims-videos

Sorry, but the new one is priceless :
    "Ever since Kunos Simulazioni released the modding tools for Assetto Corsa, modding has picked up dramatically as promising projects are starting up left and right, revitalizing the mod community in a way that many people hoped rFactor 2 would have done."
    http://www.virtualr.net/historx-mod-for-assetto-corsa-preview-video

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
  2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

vR isnt' the only site that craps on rF2 really hard. The sim racing community, if you can call it that, has been hard on rF2 for quite sometime. Dont' tell me you're just noticing this now. lol. You're nobody until you hate rF2 man.

Anyway, I'm sure this thread will get ugly soon, but I suggest you just take it with a grain of salt. It's no reason to get worked up over. The haters are just arcade racers anyways. ;)

Edit: What track was in the video? I dont' support these types of vids by not watching them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
  3. randy103

randy103 Registered

4. Eddy

Eddy Registered

this Jamie......in the end you're not a troll i suppose ;)

5. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

It compares Laguna Seca between games, and the one in rF2 looks all fluo and bright with what I think is a car from Forza or Shift. There's no reason for the thread to turn ugly, it's just obvious that rF2 is rarely shown in a good light, even though it has a lot to offer, even visually.

I get attacked when I criticize rF2, but it always comes from a honest sentiment. Not this. I'm not expecting journalism from a blog host that doesn't know that A1 was renamed Red Bull Ring and is still operational, but this is pushing the credibility envelope.

6. bwana

bwana Registered

I think its not bad, a ripped mod running on a wip. track at rf2 so all the console drivers can see what they are up for once they choose a real sim over the others.. By that time we will have a quality laguna Seca and these guys might have seen the value in using quality scratch built cars like URD, Apex and of course ISI.

7. Luiz De Boni

Luiz De Boni Registered

IMHO, the problem with rF2 is its issues and bugs...sadly, latest builds did not correct them , but created new ones instead.
    I can run AC DX-11 on my rig perfectly, full grid MP, all settings on max/full, no servers issue.
    Many leagues are strugling to accomodate as few as 20 drivers in their servers without CTDs or discoes...that's sad, cause rF2 is awesome to race in....

8. bwana

bwana Registered

Did my monthly peek at AC, updates meeh :/ one thing I noticed after I keep reading how AC is so popular online and RF2 a waste land was a grand total of 3 people on AC from around 40 servers? at the same time around 25 on rf2 , considering the time atm it would seem AC isnt really all its been pumped up to be by fan boys

9. ambig88

ambig88 Registered

That video is crap anyway. You can't compare games using what I believe is an F1 2002 convert on like 3/4 of the sims in the video. I know the one used in AC/rF2 and one or 2 other ones were of the same track I spent many hours on in rF1.

10. willz

willz Registered

all i can say is that pcars is that poor in everything but looks that after over 2 years of being in the beta i couldn`t take anymore and got a refund

11. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

VirtualR has nothing to do with it other than the guy running it chose to post it just like he does a billion other comparison videos. Still not sure why people like those videos, they always look the same to me but when driving them comparatively they are all very, very, very different.

It's nothing more than the "I NEED IT NAO" flavor of the sim racing community. AC has the same crap conversions going on, you see a million rFactor / GTR2 / GTL mods that were half baked at best strewn about all over the place as well. A very large portion of this community doesn't care for quality, they just want something to get their grubby paws on.

Check that guy's channel for more videos and take a look at what you see. The answer is more piss poor low quality conversions because he probably would rather just have a new track like a lot of other people out there. He's not trying to make it look bad on purpose. (LOL)

12. Depco

Depco Registered

I think the better question this raises though is if there were any better Laguna Seca tracks out there for rF2? As it turns out, Not that I know of, so that makes this comparison somewhat more telling about the modding community here and elsewhere. If the devs are not making the tracks they are not being made. So the only thing we have to fall back on is Ripped/converted tracks. That is too bad, since there are some very good modding teams out there. Makes me think they are putting their talents into other projects in other sims.

13. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Mario has posted screenshots of the track he's building and they look really nice. As for cars, the URD series is full of high-quality GT cars. Several nice circuits are available for rF2, although it's a shame that the 3D wizards still don't bother to get someone to do the AI for them.

And that's no reason to post videos with low res, low details and no anti-aliasing. I guess the Empty Box is on to something with his assessment.
    View attachment 13491

14. Minibull

Minibull Member

Ehhh...except that LIDAR scanned Laguna Seca that is being made at this minute...so they are being worked on, just noone can spend all their time modding for no payment. When that is in a more complex sim environment, no wonder things take time to get going. That's how I see it at least.

Still, I think there is a V* Supercar mod being worked on, and I see the 1992 F1 stuff being teased. Mak Corps stuff, URD and their prototype package. A lot more too.

15. Depco

Depco Registered

I absolutely agree 100%. with the complexities of this game and the underlying mechanics it is no wonder that the best mods are payware. about $10
    for URD's fantastic work is well worth the money in my opinion. And if we can get a company/modding team to make well modeled and performing track pack for an inexpensive amount of money then all the better. Honestly though. I think ISI needs to hire some of these teams and make available more cars and tracks (Content) that are up to the high quality standards that is expected out of a Sim like rF2. Dare I say it may turn into a model like in iRacing? Hopefully not to the same expensive result, and without the monthly sub... but there is some merit in the fact that they continue to be the 1000 lb sim gorilla in the room.

16. Depco

Depco Registered

Unfortunately te Modding teams did not get on the rF2 bandwagon soon enough and now that it is a more fully fleshed out sim they re having to play catch-up. That is problematic since other sims are coming out that appear to have significant content (I am looking at you pCars). rF2 is by far my favorite sim and I would not want to trade it for anything else out there today but they relied too heavily on the modding community I think to make content that was quality. The community was not able to deliver like they did in rF1. *Dead Horse Beaten*

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Only thing I can think is plausible deniability. lol

You want honest sentiment.........

I can't explain in boxed categories what I like anymore, rF2 changed all that.

First build first lap was simply the best physics, chassis tyres I had ever experienced.

Before rF2 I could easily drive any sim for hours, physics had never been the prime thing for me simply because they were all pretty similar.

It would come down to content most times.

Now amazingly I find I can't justify or enjoy spending time in sims that have " what I now know and consider " a limited experience.

What makes even less sense then my rantings is all the people cant make up there minds one way or the other.

18. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Except there is no 12C in the URD mod, and that Laguna Seca isn't available. :|

The AC Laguna Seca in that video isn't high quality either, I'm pretty dang sure it traces itself back to the same version done for the GTR2002 mod IIRC.

19. Minibull

Minibull Member

Just shows how pointless these vids are ai. AC, with its mostly static lighting will probably have many quick conversions that look decent. rF2, with its system where light is created by the engine and cast onto the objects/textures fares much worse with quick conversions, where that overbright and cartoony look comes from. Circuits can look brilliant, but they obviously need more work to deal with the more complex systems in use. So then the way you see this comparision video can change so many ways. You could see it in so many ways it's not funny XD.

20. Travis

Travis Registered

Whilst I understand what the author of the video is attempting to do, using poorly created mods (no offence meant towards the people who created them) for both rF2 and AC versus professionally made tracks in R3E, pCARS and SRW is hardly an 'apples to apples' comparison.

I don't understand the tribal mentality in sim racing and across videogames as it's more than okay to enjoy many products from the same genre.