LG 34UM95 "instead" of tripples

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Bkim, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Bkim

Bkim Registered

I do understand that this monitor with its 3440 x 1440 does not come nowhere to the horizontal tripple screens 5760 x 1080 resolution (would be more a dual replacement)
    But for rFactor2, how would this monitor perform in visual expansion vs tripple screen? I have never run tripple screen and i read a lot about bezel management. I want max screen without bezels. Is this a good monitor or am i throwing away money?

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I'm not familiar with the monitor but make sure your GPU can handle it first. I'd also say do plenty of research how it is with gaming.

3. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Make sure it does have low input lag. Low input lag is very important for simracing!

4. VMaxMuffin

VMaxMuffin Registered

Here's a review of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnrxNfxRK_4

It is an IPS monitor, so it isn't the lowest input lag in the world, however it is very good for an IPS and being IPS it has much better colour and viewing angles than a faster TN panel. For reference, I'm using an LG 27EA33V, which is IPS and would be a very similar panel (except only 1080p and 27" 16:9), and I don't feel any input lag (or at least I'm not affected by it). I much prefer the IPS panel compared to a TN anyway.

What are your system specs Bkim? Particularly GPU model.

5. Bkim

Bkim Registered

Thanks for the reply's. Currently im running a single Asus GTX 780 DC2OC on a Samsung TN Full HD 27 inch. Im planning to build a new cockpit and i have been thinking a lot about my screen(s). First i wanted tripple full HD. I thought about SLI but when i go SLI i need watercooling. The problem with watercooling is that i want the best of the best and before i know it the watercooling becomes a very expensive stand alone project while i want to build a new cockpit. Next to that im not fond of SLI. I have the feeling throwing away too much performance vs costs with another 450 euro GTX 780. As i understand (and please correct me if im wrong): tripple setup in a race sim as rFactor 2 gives you a wider screen so you can actually see "next" to you: you can look into corners instead of using track IR (which also can be used with tripples but just say there is no track IR). All i think is: what do i gain with 3440 vs my current 1920?

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The thing about a single wide monitor is it is flat. With three monitors you can angle the side monitors to be more like side views that you turn your head to look at and the game corrects the geometry to account for the angled monitor. So a pit wall for example is a straight line that passes from the center monitor to the side monitor. A single flat monitor would give you a wider FOV but not as wide as three individual monitors using the Multiview feature with angled monitors.

7. MorganH76

MorganH76 Registered

I run a 21:9 aspect ratio monitor on my rig, and it is great for racing.

The extra width lets you see the wing mirror, and you don't have the issue with the bezels that you get with Triples.

8. VMaxMuffin

VMaxMuffin Registered

Why do you need watercooling if you go SLI? Plenty of people run SLI'd cards on air cooling. I guess you're worried about one card blocking the other, but I don't think it's actually as much of an issue as some think. I'm no expert though. What motherboard do you have? Because you need an SLI-compatible one too. Also - depending on the motherboard - you may actually have a gap between your two cards anyway.

However, you don't actually need SLI anyway. Have a look here: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_780_sli_review,22.html
    http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/463...ew-geforce-gtx-760770780-in-sli-and-3-way-sli

These benchmarks show that a single GTX 780 will yield playable framerates on triple monitors at top specs, and turning them down a bit will get you over 60 if you wish. Racing sims tend to be less taxing than most of the games in these benchmarks anyway (rF2 included), so you may even still be able to play at max settings.

Framerates will also probably be similar or slightly higher at 3440x1440 than 5760x1080, FWIW. So performance-wise it's not a major point of discussion.

I can't really decide for you whether or not to get the 21:9 or triples, it's a personal choice. If you play other games too (FPS etc.) you may want to get the 21:9 because triples are less useful in those games and the 21:9 screen will look nicer (higher pixel density, as well as being a quality panel). In terms of Field of View, triples is obviously 'better', however 21:9 is still better than a single 16:9 monitor.

9. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

I would avoid this monitor like the plague.

There are a lot of imports being sold in the uk that LG are not honouring warranty on, a lot of them are having production issues as well.

Have a look here - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18565786

I was interested until I realised that I can have 3x27 monitors and £200 in my pocket as well:) and there are some lovely 5/7mm bezel monitors around now.

As to the input lag, it's stated at 5ms but in reality gtg is around 18ms, but bear in mind no manufacturer monitor stated times are the same in reality lol

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
  10. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

Wish I hadn't seen this thread, it may just of cost me big time!

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

These super wide monitors will give you very, very little vertical vision if you use anything close to a realistic FOV (based on screen size, screen height/width ratio, and player-eye-to-screen distance).

12. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

With a default fov surely I would have more vertical real estate going from 1200p to 1440p and also be able to view both mirrors and side windows?
    I primarily play bf4 which will benefit from this resolution but would also hope rf2 would benefit over my 1920x1200 single screen.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Default fov is terrible, your real-life steering wheel is almost as big as the width of the entire car from door to door, why would you even consider the default FOV?

14. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

I tried a dof calculator, it gave me a value of 23, on a single 24" screen it was awful

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yes, on your screen I would settle for 30-35 as a compromise because you don't have enough screen space to see much so you'll be too limited with a proper, realistic FOV. Drop it to 45, then slowly work your way down to 30 or so over a month or 2 period. Once you get used to it, you'll never go back. 30 should be doable once you slowly work your way down. Set it to 45, and use that for 1-2 weeks straight then slowly work your way down to 30-35 over a month or so.

16. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

Ill give it a go Spinelli, as long as I can still see the dial on the dash, I have my monitor right up begind the wheel and can see the dials through the wheel :)

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Without a TrackIR, you may not be able to see a lot of your dials. Your in-game seat settings can influence this as well. The most realistic seat height for most cars seems to be between -20 and 0, if you're using values over 0 then that will also make it more difficult to see dials (not too mention - for most cars - it's an unrealisticlly high view in my opinion).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
  18. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

I used to have track ir years ago :(

19. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

BTT:
    Is there somebody with experiences with this screen?

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

1x 34" 21:9 = height - 13.39"/34.0cm, width - 31.25"/79.4cm
    3x 27" 16:9 = height - 13.24"/33.6cm, width - 70.59"/179.4cm

Triple 27" 16:9 is pretty much the same height as the 34" 21:9 and more than double the width, about 2.26x the width.