Just ran rFactor2 in 64 bit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FFOman, Jul 5, 2014.

1. FFOman

FFOman Registered

Now that I've had an opportunity to run the same setup, car, and track in 64 bit mode as opposed to the 32 bit mode I tested all day, I'm really amazed at how much better everything is! Unlike most other 64 bit applications where any difference is hardly noticeable, here the difference is fantastic!
    Not only are my frame rates higher and more consistent, but in general the graphics look 100% better! And everything ran faster and smoother! But what really surprised me, and for what I'm sure I'll be called crazy, I was able to get around the track using the same exact settings from earlier today at much faster times...and from, a cold start! Everything from sound effects to steering was just a little sharper and smoother. I felt like I was running a different Sim at first! Kudos to the devs for doing such a great job!

2. paullv

paullv Registered

Why is psychology important?

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I'm having a really smooth wonderful experience as well with 64 bit.
    All the little hickups and stuttering is gone. Framerates are higher and much for consistent.
    I was completely baffled when I was able to run 27 AI on IMS, very high detail, and have 60 fps from the back right from the start.

4. FFOman

FFOman Registered

I'm running Win7/64 on an Intel Xenon W3520, 8 gigs DDR3 Ram, and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 cloned to my 55 inch Samsung Smart TV, with everything set to high and/or Ultra, and am getting up to 65 fps, but never below 60! And rFactor2 looks as good or better than the live Q3 in HD I'm watching right now! When I put this system together I had the best and biggest Intel processor made for gaming put in and it never ran this good. Then I burnt it out last year and replaced it with the Xenon and with the same graphics card everything suddenly started running and looking so much better. Even more graphically intensive games like Battlefield 4 and TitanFall run better! The Xenon is in my opinion one of the most understated processors out there!

5. FFOman

FFOman Registered

I'm not sure what 'paully' meant when he asked me why psychology is important unless he was referring to what I thought others would say I'm crazy in believing. And in that case, Yes, as I admitted, my results may not be completely due to the change in exe speed and memory size, although I'm positive it does make a difference. But my belief in 64 bits offering me more of everything I need certainly does affect my feelings and thus my results just as much!

6. Scott Beck

Scott Beck Registered

I'm running 772 64bit, Win 8 and it is fantastic. No problems at all. I must say though, I'm no faster, but that doesn't surprise me because I'm slow with everything I drive now a days. Age is catching up with me and my reflexes aren't what they used to be. But that's cool, I'm still having a blast racing over at CMS.

Thanks ISI!

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

What amazes me the most is the fact that I'm able to race in such large fields of cars with no problems at all.
    For sure 64 bit was the solution to most of the small problems I was having with rF2.

8. Paddler

Paddler Registered

Same here. Amazing! Thx ISI

9. duko

duko Registered

Big boost in performance for me also, all settings on hight except shadows and blur, doesn't drop below 70 fps with a 22 grid. Pre pach i was running with 14 grid, low settings on lighting, random micro stutters, random fps drops on some parts on track, now the game runs smooth.

Nice work devs :)

FX-8350 4.0
    8GB
    660TI 2gb

Win 8.1

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
  10. team355

team355 Registered

Also had a major major improvement....
    Win7
    8 GB
    6950 X 2

;););)

11. Depco

Depco Registered

For someone like me who has a Core 2 Duo and under 4 GB of Ram will running 64 bit exe make any difference at all? THe upgrade will come later this year or after the new year.. not sure yet though... just would like a boost now if possible.

12. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

Are you comparing Build770 32bit vs. 64bit? Or is the performance improvment compared to Build660 32 bit.

If two different builds compared you might be doing an apples to oranges comparision ;-)

Sent with Tapatalk

13. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

You'll only be able to use it if your OS is 64bit.

14. Depco

Depco Registered

It is. Win 7 Ultimate (BTW I need to do search on how to actually start the game in 64 Bit mode)

15. FFOman

FFOman Registered

You'll find both 32 and 64 bit versions of the exe's in the main core directory of the install. Take the two 32 bit files out of their directory and save them somewhere else, then rename the two 64 bit exe's to the exact same name as the two you just removed. It's all automatic from there!

16. RodBarker

RodBarker Registered

I didnt do that , I removed rfactor2.exe into another folder and renamed rfactor2 64.exe to rfactor2.exe , the game is running fine is there anyway of knowing what mode Im in ?

17. duko

duko Registered

Played about 2 days with 32bit version then changed to 64bit. Also loading screens are faster.

18. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

19. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

How in earth a 64 bits application could improve graphics and sound, for the God sake?

20. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Placebo is a powerful tool. You can cure people by giving them sugar pills saying it's a powerful painkiller. Doctor, my head isn't killing me anymore, it was great, could you give me more of them, please?

I see absolutely no difference between 64 bit and 32 bit exe, faster loading times is for now one of the biggest differences. I'm using 64 bits and I see the advantage of using it in the future. Track and car guys should really feel happy now. I also like endurace racing so it makes me happy that now I can race bigger grids. That's it. ;)

Of course improvements in performance can happen but causes for that might be different and not related to 64 bits. For example my performance got better (it's more stable) due to me cleaning up everything and doing a fresh instal. There are different direct and indirect ways to improve things. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014