The 64 bit exe's and other important questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FFOman, Jul 5, 2014.

1. FFOman

FFOman Registered

I wasn't aware of the need to rename the 64 bit exes to the same as their 32 bit counterparts and have been running the 32 bit version on Win 7/64 all day. I just now found out about this need from another poster and so moved the 32 bit exe's to a new and separate directory and renamed the 64 bit exe's as per the readme file I should have read earlier! But I have a question: What's the difference between the standard and dedicated 64 bit exe's and why, when, and how would I want to run either?

The "Series" button shows a lot of cars in a circle facing inward but seems to do nothing. What's this for?

I guess I'm terribly ignorant but what the heck is Formula 2?

Where can I find detailed info about each car so that I know what series and track types each is made for...that is without having to open them up in the garage and looking at all the individual setup specs?

What is the exact effect that Steering Rate changes have? And is the Steering Range when vehicle set the same as in the real cars? What is the default for the Formula Renault 2014 so I don't have to change everything again or is the Range number assigned to be equal across all cars?

What and Why is exaggerated yaw set to 25%

What is "Car specific FFB multi" and why is it set to 1.00. The same question about FFB smoothing with a default of 9?

Why is the left brake bias set a bit higher on the Formula Renault 2014 on the Silverstone track? Shouldn't they be equal by default for a road track until and unless I feel the need to set one or the other differently? What's the reasoning?

Thanx in advance for any help!

2. bwana

bwana Registered

What is a Formula2 = finely tuned single seater Williams JPH1B. It is a sophisticated carbon composite chassis and a 1.8-litre turbocharged Audi engine producing 425bhp, increasing to 500bhp when a driver uses the overboost facility.

3. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Exaggerated yaw turns your head when the back end of the car steps out, most people set this to zero. Car specific force feedback multiplier allows you to set the strength of the force feedback for each car, as the strength varies between mods. I set mine at 0.5 to 0.65 for most cars, some can go higher without clipping of the signal. Get TechAdes pedal overlay plugin to check for ffb clipping - http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/7546-rF2-Pedal-Overlay-Plugin

FFB smoothing reduces spikes in the force feedback signal which may be necessary if your wheel rattles a lot. Setting it lower gives more detailed feeling and less force feedback lag, so set it as low as you can tolerate.

4. rer8

rer8 Registered

Hello FFoman,
    I like your enthusiasm and there are many of us right there with you. I started with GPL more than 10 years ago, and a dozen other games, but it was not until I got rFactor (the first one) that I was truly hooked. I am going to take a few minutes and try to answer as many of your questions as I can. So here we go.
    Question 1. What's the difference between the standard and dedicated 64 bit exe's and why, when, and how would I want to run either?
    The standard rFactor.exe is the executable program that runs both the off-line and the online game. Off line you will learn about the program, the cars, the tracks, and spend time driving by yourself (hot lapping), and perhaps running against the AI (Artificial Intelligence drivers.) When you look at the Launch screen the left most “button” starts the game for the activities I just mentioned. The Center “button” activates the online portion of the game and once it is running you can select one of the games that is offered in the selection table that meets your interest at the time… i.e. your preferred car or track or both. The last button is the developer button, and unless you are a programmer you may not be very interested in this for a while.
    The dedicatated.exe provides you the capability of setting up an online game for you and some friends who have the game. It is activated through the Host button in the lower right corner of the launch screen. I will limit my time discussing this as there is a lot of information that you will need to know about your computer, the internet and then the interaction of the game with either an external server, or perhaps you may use your own gaming computer as the game server. Lots to learn, but it is worth it when you can get several of your friends to join you in a private race.
    Question 2: The "Series" button shows a lot of cars in a circle facing inward but seems to do nothing. What's this for?
    The Series button: This is a place that you choose wht game you want to play. Generally speaking each item in the series is a “hosts” game plan for what cars and tracks are to be used in “his” game. Off-line you have a choice to run a specific series, or select all cars and tracks at the top center of this first page. All cars and tracks are available only “off-line.” The series is that first “bucket” of information that your computer needs when you go online to play a game: Car(s), Track(s). This is an automatic function that takes place when you select either an off-line or on-line gaming event.
    Question 3: …what the heck is Formula 2? The quick answer is it is a series racing league which is frequently in the path of a driver perusing an F1 driving opportunity… “Formula” simply stated is a set of rules that define how the car is constructed, powered etc. Hence F3, F2, F1…
    Question 4: Where can I find detailed info about each car so that I know what series and track types each is made for...that is without having to open them up in the garage and looking at all the individual setup specs?
    The quick answer is there is not a quick way that I am aware of. Obviously Google, Wiki, and such like can help… There are many excellent books in print that discuss the “art & science” of the race Game. One of the very best in my opinion is Going Faster by Carl Lopez. I found a hard bound, unopened copy at AbeBooks.com. Amazon caries many of the classic books that will aid in you search for information.
    Question 5: What is the exact effect that Steering Rate changes have? If you are using a wheel, it has no effect as I understand it. Perhaps someone else could weigh in on this question for me. The steering can be set to whatever you want it to be. There is a button to select in the setup page that causes the steering to be similar to the actual vehicles. It is a “toggle switch” on/off.
    Question 6: What and Why is exaggerated yaw set to 25%. As I understand it, exaggerated yaw presents a visual indication of what is happening to the car, where a kinesthetic sensation would normally communicate that information. It substitutes for the information that your muscles, and vestibular system provide in a car, airplane… etc.
    Question 7: What is "Car specific FFB multi" and why is it set to 1.00. The same question about FFB smoothing with a default of 9?
    This is an excellent question and is best answered by one of the many very talented, and helpful people you will find on the ISI forum. May I suggest you take a look at this link. http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...-2-guide-The-key-to-being-in-the-Zone-D/page6
    Question 8: Why is the left brake bias set a bit higher on the Formula Renault 2014 on the Silverstone track? Shouldn't they be equal by default for a road track until and unless I feel the need to set one or the other differently? What's the reasoning?
    I have no clue. Sorry. Check this forum. Go online and race with others. Keep asking questions. There are a number of excellent “rooms” , online. One where the guys are generally friendly and will help you is F3 Fanatics. Just look for them here in the forum, or online, and join the fun.
    I hope you find the enjoyment that this game has provided for me. If I can be of help pm me or catch me along with about 5 to 10 other F3 Fanatics most days after 5 p.m. Central US time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
  5. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

We don't have left/right brake bias. Only front/rear.

6. rer8

rer8 Registered

Nice catch.... sleep deprived. :)

7. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Good write up Randy :)

I hope you can use it, FFOman :)

8. FFOman

FFOman Registered

Thanx for all the replies...they've been a lot of help!
    As to the brake bias, I went into the advanced settings of the garage for the car I mentioned because as I applied braking it seemed I was pulling into left turns a lot faster and tighter than I did when making right turns. The Brake bias is listed like this: 55:45 which I assumed meant left/right settings...I was wrong of course and figured this out soon after I made the original post. I also found that the reason I was getting pulled to the left more when braking was due to my Stick and the angle I had it set to on my desk. I was actually adding a bit of left turn bias due to the natural movement of my hand and arm! I straightened that problem out quick and make a template to place my stick on that assures it is at the best angle for the way my arm moves!
    I've already sent for a copy of the Lopez book, and am also perusing old copies of some of the Sim mags out there. Also the Skip Barber school has a whole series of videos on UTube, so I'm checking them out as well.
    Regarding the car designations as shown in the menu view for vehicles: The F1 Renaults for 2014 are all listed as 3.5. That's not the engine liters is it? And if these are supposed to be 2014 versions, they definitely need a little body work. It's especially disturbing when looking at the front of the car and the way the blades are configured. They're all split into 3 separate vanes per side on the real cars. Also are the specs and physics used up to the current standards for 2014? I don't think so...?

The few discrepancies I've noticed that make things a little less than "real" do not really bother me though. I'm having a blast with it even though it's not quite finished. And all I can say is I can't wait to be able to get a wheel and start running so races against other drivers!

9. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

The Formula Renault 3.5 is not an F1 car, it's a notch or three below that. They are their own separate cars unrelated to F1, and yes, that is indeed the engine size.

10. crz

crz Registered

They sure sound a lot better to me than the current F1 cars. Love those bangs on upshifts.

11. FFOman

FFOman Registered

Are you sure about that? I'm not arguing with you but it's the same car as the Red Bull #1 car just as they were in rFactor1. I assumed they were just the 2010, 2011, or 2012 versions of the F1 line. Even CodeMaster hasn't got a current 2014 version out yet! So if they're not Formula One cars, where are they? rFactor2 should at least have one model!

12. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

To build one you have to have detailed technical specs, no one will ever give them to you now. Marussia gave their specs from 2012 model year after 2012 season ended.

13. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

It is exactly what it says it is, it's a Formula Renault 3.5. 1000% sure, they don't even look anything close to an F1 car. If you want an F1 car, try the ISI Masters or the Marussia.

14. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

The Marussia MR01 from 2012 is here:
    http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/cars/marussia-cosworth-mr01/

Formula ISI (generic F1 car) is here:
    http://rfactor.net/web/getfile/2012-isi-formula-masters/

Don't discard the Formula Renault 3.5 though, just because it isn't F1.
    It's by far one of the most enjoyable cars to race in rF2, both 2010 and 2014 spec.

15. FFOman

FFOman Registered

No I won't stop using the Renault 3.5. I like it very much. The reason I wanted clarification on this is because I wanted to train on a Formula One car and eventually find an F1 series to race in. If I can't find that I'll end up spending a lot more time in the CodeMasters release then I want to! I'm sure there must be more than just me that are F1 nuts!