Info & Advice Needed by new Sim-Racer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FFOman, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Comante

Comante Registered

Actually the customization level you would need to put throttle and brake on the wheel, is much much simpler than what is required by your real truck. In fact you just need something that can make two potentiometer turn, and a spring to make them return. You could even buy a second hand wheel, dismantle the pedal, and find a way suitable to you to make it work. It would not be nice and dandy, but it could work very good.

2. speed1

speed1 Banned

About two decades ago I have integrated such sytems into vehicles and, among other developed as required.

It is not too difficult to bring additional axles to the steering wheel, at least mechanically. It only requires throttle, brake axles which you can use with the thumbs, for the clutch you would have to come up with something, may be digitally or a third analog axis.

It also shouldn't be a big deal if you know someone can it do for you.

I just hope that I have understood you correctly but in the meantime you could also use this :

View attachment 13438

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeGcon

It works with a converter. It was the greatest of it's time for driving games on the PS1. I've tested it especially for you with rf2 and it works flawlessly but it just has no ffb. :)

3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

What does this mean exactly?

4. jjcook

jjcook Registered

it means you are only handicapped if you think you are....i think:rolleyes:

5. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Welcome :)

If I understand well you want to do everything using one hand?
    If thats the case the best way for me would be to modify the paddle to act as throttle.
    If you can apply there the combined pedals option you would have a cool solution, you pull the paddle for accelerating, you let it for bracking.

Unfortunately Im ignorant about electronics and I dont even know if this is doable.

6. FFOman

FFOman Registered

I used to race 1/24th scale slot cars when I was a kid, but at least where I live there isn't a track within a hundred miles anymore. Anyway, computer Sim racing is a hell of a lot more fun!

I am a DIY'er and designed and built myself 4 real-life Dodge 4WD's 2500's, in which I took out the back of the cab, the front of the box, put a camper on top with a full seal. Then a parallel lift seat under the center console to bring me up to the height of a full size bed in the back, after the club seats, which I then slid across to the back where my wheelchair was trapped between the end of the bed and my electric lift off the tailgate which was replaced by electric batwing style doors. I used to beat the hell out of them up in the mountains and pole lines and never had a wreck, then three years ago I was on my way to my youngest daughters house for a Mother's Day breakfast and woke up hanging in a tree about 35 ft off the ground! That was a 98 and no insurance anymore. It was totaled of course, so since I've not worked over the last five years I can't even hope to replace it so I've been stuck here in this cultural wasteland where beer drinking and screwing your neighbor's wife is the main recreation.

If I could afford a decent wheel system, I'm sure I could come up with an adaption that would work for me and be customizable enough to allow the tool impaired to set things up for their own personal needs as well. In fact, there's a group out there, "Disabled Racers.com" already working with some of the wheel manufacturers to do just that, and I am waiting to hear back from them on this very subject.

In any case right now the way I see it is that to keep both hands on the wheel, it would require a rear facing finger paddle on each side of the wheel that one's middle fingers could pull back toward the wheel for up/down gearing, with each having the clutch let go at the top of the pull for each side, and thumb paddles on the facing inside of the wheel...one for each side programmable for the throttle and brake. And to meet the needs of a variety of people these controls would need to be made so that they could be placed independently and at any angle along the wheel. A couple extra buttons for DSR and ERS or voice control even better, would make for a great system methinks! All I need is a good, full round wheel with the electronic connections for it's controls open to my fiddling around, and I'm sure I could get it together pretty quick. 2 years ago I worked with a group that gave Xbox 360's to children's hospitals for use by their patients. It was a great success except for the few complaints we got from the administrator when kids brought in games they felt were inappropriate, so NO, I'm not ashamed to take donations! <g> And that's ALL I'll ever say about that because that's not why I'm here!

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

As I understand now you can use both hands.

Well, its much easier than I thought.
    I assigned on my Logitech G25, throttle to the right paddle, brake to the left paddle, gear up to right button on wheel and gear down to left button on wheel.
    It all works perfect, I easily can do laps with this.

Used wheels are dirt cheap nowdays, if you find just the wheel from somebody who broke his pedals or h-shift it would cost next to nothing.
    Im sure Logitech Momo will work the same way too and Momo is older than g25 so its cheaper.

I had a Momo spare but I gave it to a friend, otherwise it would be at the post office towards you.
    Right now no spare wheel here.

8. Eddy

Eddy Registered

But i still do have my MOMO somewhere and if you pay the transport costs FFOman i would be glad to sent it over to you. So if you like to have it.......just sent me a pm.

9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

10. FFOman

FFOman Registered

Like I said in an earlier post, I don't like and never have asked for help from anyone that involves a cost in money and/or material assets, and as long as I was able to find work that's the way I lived...giving away much more to others than I ever received. I guess it was just the way I was brought up never to consider that my problems were in any way worse or of more importance than anyone else's. I've given away 3 Wheelchair lifts, 5 sets of hand controls, 1 electric and 1 manual wheelchair, and one Volkswagen van, to disabled people who for whatever reason were not able to get them for themselves. But now that I find myself in the same situation...mainly because I'm no longer able to get work AND pay for the necessary medical insurance I need to cover my basic health needs...I no longer feel that way. Especially when talking about something like your used MOMO! The reason being that besides such an offer enabling me to finally start driving my Sims the way I've always wanted to, it will allow me with my programming and electronic knowledge to put my paper designs to a real test and if my systems work as well as I believe they will, and can be made highly customizable as I believe they can be made, I'll have something I can share with the rest of the world and all the others out there like myself who endeavor to be better than just 2nd best! You can't believe all the people and companies out there whom I've contacted with my ideas in the hope that they would be willing to help sponsor the building of alternative driving systems like the ones in my head! But all I ever hear from them is to build a prototype first, and then IF it works, THEN they'll start taking me seriously! I can design, invent, discover, and even build. I've never had trouble in those areas! But I'm not an entrepreneur! I can't do what I need to that way. But if I can get the help I need so that I can start cold from an otherwise viable working solution like a decent Wheel for PC from which I can rip its pedals off as a starting point, I have no doubt I can produce a good, real-world solution for myself in a month or less, and one that can be used as a prototype to manufacture a customizable solution within just a few more! I don't know how many other or better ways I can say "Yes, Please, send me anything you can including any and all ideas!" I promise here and now that you and many others will benefit from your participation in this project whether helping with just a donation of old equipment, money, or in the actual design and production. Any and all help is welcome, and if you'll send me an e-mail to: TanDesign@Comcast.net an address I use for all my projects like helping to teach youngsters lite programming, and tell me what you have in mind, I will reply with my phone number(s) and physical address. All I ask is that no one go over their head...that is offer something they might need themselves later, because you cannot help anyone until you first help yourself. Or you might think of it like this: Charity begins at home! This is something I learned a long time ago and still believe in.

11. Eddy

Eddy Registered

My donation would be my old MOMO, only thing i ask is to pay the transport costs. Due to language barrier i don't get the full intention of your previous post. Well i guess it's up to you......

12. speed1

speed1 Banned

Quoting myself. :) Not sure if you would have seen it, since i was muted. So here you go my friend ;-)

13. FFOman

FFOman Registered

First let me thank everyone for their interest and responses. However as a former Moderator for a programmer's group, ( almost 12 years! ), I don't think it's a good idea to discuss matters, like charity groups and/or donations, which take us beyond the forum's purpose, so please contact me privately should you wish to talk about such things. I was in error when I brought the subject up in the first place.

On the other hand, this does not prohibit us from discussing the technical aspects! And in line with that, I cannot stand using Xbox-like controllers! <g> I've never been able to drive well with them. In any case I am beginning to do quite well with my Logitech T-16000M even though it doesn't have Force Feedback. So I won't be quitting anytime soon! If and when I am able to get a real Wheel and customize it the way that is best for me, I will then start racing others!

14. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I don't think it's that uncommon to use flight stick and I've raced fast drivers in the past who don't use ffb

15. speed1

speed1 Banned

FFOman, a frend of mine called me yesterday to helping him with a controle set for a customer car he had in his garage where i than mounted the mechanics for him. Really odd, I didn't do it for more than 2 decades and than this. It was very simple to mount and easy to controle the car just with the hands but it doesn't allow to hold the steering wheel two handed while modulating throttle and brake inputs. The car was very old, a vauxhaul automatic and the inputs need to be done with the right hand while steering left. The mechanics allow to brake and throttle in the same time if needed while the throttle modulation was like on a bike and to brake it need to push the same axle which is directly hard connected to the pedal. Would that be an option for you to steer one handed when modulating inputs than you could easly connect a mechanic to the pedals without to developing a special steering wheel.

16. speed1

speed1 Banned

What i was talking about looked like this.

View attachment 13533

It wouldn't be a real problem to develope something special for simracing where everything would be on the steering wheel because it doesn't need to overcome strong resistors as it is in a real car. Here you just need some triggers on the steering wheel which you could connect to the pedal electronics. The position and style depends on the needs or convenient.