Info & Advice Needed by new Sim-Racer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FFOman, Jul 3, 2014.

1. FFOman

FFOman Registered

Hi all! I'm an old hippie programmer who has been racing CodeMasters F1 and Dirt series for a number of years, and also fooled around with rFactor 1 for a short while some years ago before I was ready to get serious. And now that I am ready, and have the time to give it my all, I've purchased rFactor 2 and don't intend to look back! ( Except when on the track of course, and only if absolutely necessary! )
    In real life I drive my 4WD P/U with hand controls, and because I've not found an affordable wheel system that allows the same in a PC Sim like rFactor 2, I'm using a Thrustmaster t-16000M Flight Stick to control everything. Believe it or not it works pretty dam good if setup properly, but if anyone knows a better system please let me know!
    Basically though what I'm looking for the most is advice and/or reading materials that I can use to get started on my plan to become a much better Sim Racer. I prefer Formula One Grand Prix but want to learn every style of racing I can. I used to race 1/24th slot cars back when and miss my old Chaparral hardtop! So I'm open to anything that anyone has to offer that doesn't involve stock options in a Cobra milk franchise!
    I hope to hear back from all the great drivers that hang out here! So Thanx in advance!

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

3. Maug

Maug Registered

How about using that joystick to handle gas/brakes next to a wheel with a shifter(like a G27)?

4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I don´t think that´s a good Idea....
    You need both hands on ONE controller!
    It sounds like he is handicapped, so joystick is a good option (and goes very well!)

To OP:
    Welcome! Good choice! :cool:
    There are several threads around here regarding advice for newcomer,
    but now when we need one, I can´t find any! :rolleyes:

5. freew67

freew67 Registered

A friend of mine uses this rally style brake while racing. Another sim racing friend uses pad because he said he really cant find a solid hand setup.

Disabled Brake.jpg

6. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Another option is this:

http://steelseries.com/products/other/simraceway-s1-steering-wheel

on a G27 with an adaptor. I've seen a few around the web. I think there's a few guys on the iRacing forums with this combo.

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Welcome FFOman!

As far as sim racing goes you've certainly made the right choice with rF2!
    I hope you'll have as much fun with as I have.

8. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

I have to agree with the recommendation of this book - it is crazy good (and very detailed). Some of the more advanced stuff started to go over my head but there's a hell of a lot of info in the book and even if you are new to sim racing there'll be a lot of info you'll be able to use to get better. I think it's available on Amazon too.

There's also a DVD available but that obviously isn't as detailed as the book... it does however let you see certain techniques demonstrated on a real race track.

9. Golanv

Golanv Registered

This video has a test done by using th8rs shifter as a throttle and break, just as was suggested using a joystick in same fashion, but as you can see, it is one handed driving all the time since there is no way to control that without an extra arm and have both hands on the wheel.
    Personally, I do not think this is the way to go.

Something like these gizmos for real cars would be interesting to see provided for sim wheels as well, and most likely be the best option overall.
    http://www.guidosimplexusa.com/

There is an interesting thread about the topic in racedepartment.
    http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/do-we-have-any-simracers-with-reduced-mobility-here.52482/
    If you scroll down the thread, there is couple pictures and discussions about couple DIY options.

In the end, if there is nothing already on the market for a good solution, and you start Macgyverising one together, imagination is only thing that sets the limits of what you can do.
    Like on that forum thread, the pad controller attached to the wheel, its not pretty but it works and I would think that that is the main goal.

10. Jamie Shorting

If money is no object, you can talk to this guy, he MIGHT be able to make something up for you. http://www.sammaxwellcustoms.com/index.php

This is what I use for flightsiming, I suppose you could use it for a race sim as well. http://www.chproducts.com/Eclipse-Yoke-v13-d-717.html Not guaranteeing it will work good though. :p But it does have another axis on the yoke that you could use for brake and throttle. I'm just not sure how good the steering would be since lack of rotation could be an issue. No FFB either.

11. FFOman

FFOman Registered

Yes, except that no matter what kind of setup you use when you can't use pedals at all, the transmission MUST be set to auto, or if possible, ( as I've never seen this except on big rigs ), an auto clutch and up/down shift buttons right on the steering wheel. The two buttons would have to be on the right side of the steering wheel for right handers as the left hand would have to work a dual lever for gas and brake. Usually pushing it straight down toward the brake pedal area for braking, and toward the driver's knees for the throttle.

I'll definitely check this book out! Thanx.

As for your disclaimer: Remember the "cat"! Reality is based on the observation of both identities involved...you as the driver, and anyone else watching. It's a matter of state assumption. If you as the driver believe you're great and two observers say you're not, you probably won't be. But if you believe you're great 2 times as much as either observer it's probable that you are great!

12. FFOman

FFOman Registered

That would be like trying to drive with one hand and one eye tied behind me! <g>

13. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

My website is still largely under construction but I have accumulated some really great skills, testing and strategy videos for beginners from around the web at professionalsimracing.com

Edit - Click on "Skills, setups & strategy basics for beginners" at the top of the page

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
  14. FFOman

FFOman Registered

I couldn't find any either! But if anyone does, it would be a great idea to post their addresses!
    In any case I'm not handicapped. I was just born with a different set of values! <g>

15. FFOman

FFOman Registered

I've seen these as well, and basically they use the same kind of mechanical adaption as I use in my real truck. Unfortunately, money IS tight these days and these custom units are terribly expensive.

16. FFOman

FFOman Registered

The setup as shown wouldn't work for me, and actually I have no trouble using the Thrustmaster Flight Stick for everything except that the buttons being digital don't really give one the real sense of braking needed when driving fast cars! Pulling back on the stick when set for braking that way gives you the analog "touch" but then if you want the throttle to work independently of the brake you have to set it to a digital button command, and we're back to the same problem!

I tried the same type of Flight Stick with the semi-attached analog throttle system used in my Flight Sims but that's as awkward as what's shown in the video above. So it seems there are only three choices when you go this route, and none are really optimal.
    1. Throttle and Braking both analog and connected by the stick moving it foreward and backward.
    2. Throttle is analog moving the stick foreward with digital brake via button
    3. Throttle is digital via button and brake is analog by moving the stick backwards

17. FFOman

FFOman Registered

Sorry I screwed up guys. I thought each replay would be shown under the appropriate messages.

18. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Paddle shift for manual shifting, and throttle/brake (I suppose even clutch) for each thumb or seperate lever for brake next to the wheel.
    This is the only way you can get close enough to the racing as with foot operated pedals.

19. Jamie Shorting

If you're a DIY'er you can research Zanardis' wheel for some inspiration.

[​IMG]

Throttle attached to wheel:

[​IMG]

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah I think a spring loaded lever that pivots on end, one each side at rear of wheel like paddles you could use your index fingers on.

Same sort of Lever on a high-end/quality slot car controller.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014