Please bring back the pit crews

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by baristabrian, Jul 3, 2014.

1. jefcam

jefcam Registered

+1 The red arrows can be easily missed. At least a static pit crew!

2. UlrichBlanke

UlrichBlanke Registered

oh Boy... red again ;)

3. felirrari

felirrari Registered

+1 to OP

4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

In the DEV Mode, the Lollipop Man is still animated...

5. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Agreed. Spotting that red arrow is hard in large or busy pit-lanes, especially if it's one without a speed limit.

6. Gugus

Gugus Registered

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah iRacing look pretty good in stops

I am pretty sure I remember them saying eventually they will be added

I don't know how you can miss your box you can drive 10 feet past it still works, stop at 45 degrees np ! lol

I mean I have missed it obviously , but when I botched requesting the stop or just have not been concentrating. ;)

I think most people have problems arise from simply not practicing it enough.

In my room barely anyone pits in for fuel or tyres in practice.

OP

I would say the majority by a long way press ESC to garage and you talk about realism ? :rolleyes: lool ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2015
  8. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Looking at the shear amount of activity in the pit lanes, I'm talking all the animated crews, flag wavers, marshals, camera men, blokes chatting to each other etc, would it be feasable for the talented community of modders to produce some sort of hack so at least we got some kind of animated lolipop man or something, I know nothing about how it works but I agree anything would be better than the red stop box.
    I just feel the sim is so damn close to near perfection now, having just completed an endurance race at lemans tonight, and pit crews would along with rain on windscreen, proper clutch and drivetrain, better damage and blowouts/punctures, just the icing on a very delicious cake.

9. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

how far in is this game and still no pit crew... endless amounts of comments ,, sad

10. Jeferson Richart

Jeferson Richart Registered

11. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

Yes make the pit crew hitable objects - and in case you hit somebody your pit stop takes longer

12. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Make a new JSON value: 'pit crew mistakes'. :D

Every now and again one of the wheel men forgets to attach one of the wheels.. comedy ensues. :D

13. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

No game offers what you're asking simply because it would be too complex.

If you hit a tire guy what then?
    Does he get up and walks back to proper position?
    Does he just respawn at original location after some time?
    Do other crew members react?
    If other player drives his car carelessly and hits a tire that your pit crew member had prepared for you, does that tire roll away?
    And what then? Does your pit crew go and fetch that tire or does that tire get respawned afer some time?

We will have to settle for simple animations. Making it more real is a huge task, possibly including additional physics and artificial intelligence. Not to mention the number of scenarios.

Here are 3 examples, just to make you consider how diverse is the world of pitstops in motor racing:
    GT example
    NASCAR explained
    F1 Example
    LMP1 example

Note that modern games either take control of your car while you're in pitlane, or use restricted pit crew visualization.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
  14. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

Well, that level of interaction with the pitcrew (hitting them) is a little far-fetched for now. But the animation itseft is not rocket science nowadays. Just probably to low on ISI's priority list giving that much more important stuff are still not reaching the top of that list yet.

NR2003, back in 2002 when it was released, had animated pitcrew. Alright, only NASCAR-style, but yet, better than the "nothing" we have today, thirteen years later. It was kinda simple. A whole animation linked with the car's overall position, so they would jump nicely from the wall, but would shift back and forth in order to be aligned with your car.

In rF2, I think something could work thinking of pitcrews "packages" as well we got HUDs, etc. And the animation would be keyed by wheel positions for example, and you choose either wheels would be carried by a crew member or sit at a specific position related to the car's actual wheels positions. Like that, each pitcrew package would have it's own "name".

Track makers would test available pitcrew packages right on ModDev, to check if works correctly (i.e. a NASCAR "wall-jumping" crew won't suit for a GP track), and kinda like the rFM track & vehicle filter, set which packages are allowed at it's track.

Also, the mod rFM (or car .VEH) would have a pitcrew preference as well. And once on track, the game would select the appropriate one, falling back to others if criteria doesn't match (having a very simple and generic crew as a major fallback, for example).

15. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Yes, that's pretty much how it would have to work.

I guess it wouldn't meet expectations of some people, but that's just the way it is. Pit crews in given series often just wouldn't look or act like their real-life counterparts.

But in the end, it only serves as eye-candy.
    I've participated in endurance league for a couple of years. We used rFactor and we had no pit crews. It never bothered me and I still felt like I'm having my pit stop done. That's probably I've spent that time looking at timings and other stuff to get better overlook of race situation. After all, I was in a race and my mind was set on it.

16. felirrari

felirrari Registered

I remember the Grand Prix Series. I played it since Grand Prix 1 (World Circuit) and one of my memories are the pitcrew members lifting the cars and cleaning my visors, maybe more than twenty years ago.

17. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Oh, gee... all the embarrassing times in Nascar '03 that I got chewed on by crew chief for pulling to close to the wall, (and still do).

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

And bringing the timing list to your cockpit on a little monitor :)

Although 'lifting the car' is probably a stretch... the crew didn't move at all. In F1GP at least.

Of course that was all done with sprites (images) rather than 3D, so even animation would have been easier (like the flag marshalls). Putting models into 3d space is a step up, and it means that a lack of realistic movement or actions (like adjusting for a poorly stopped car) in some ways is actually worse. When you're driving towards a static image, or even an animated one, you're already losing some realism. When you drive towards a 3d pit crew that then doesn't move, or 'jumps' into position or with stuttering animation, it will break the immersion at that moment.

Still, rF1 just had a coloured rectangle at your pit stall and that was easier to see (especially because the colour editing worked) than what we've had so far in rF2, so nearly anything's progress... but in the longer term a functioning pitcrew would be great.

19. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

In Grand Prix 4 the pitcrew has some variation, as in the guys changing the front right can lag behind the front left by a split second. I think it's a cool touch.

I think the biggest issue would be match up the fuel hose and tire placement with the guys' hands as different cars have different wheelbases and tire sizes, but I'd rather have that mismatched and worked over time than still nothing.

20. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered