Build 770 update problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drdrum, Jul 1, 2014.

1. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I'll be rich soon. I'm gonna write a small executable called YoLolo69 AntiVirus and it will delete all executable you'll try to launch on your computer saying 'This file is potentially malicious" or 'This file is malicious" (rand()). Some people will say: he made a good job :rolleyes:, and some other will run it on itself to get rid of it ;)

How a company like Google can do such enormous mistake? Can't understand...

2. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

1) We, and more directly "I", sign all installers with an Authenticode Cert. Chrome ignores it. If you start the installer after a download and you don't get a signed UAC dialog box then, and only then, is the download is compromised.

"Internet Explorer (IE) uses Authenticodeā„¢ technology and its underlying code signing mechanisms to help address this problem for end users. While not guaranteeing bug-free code, Authenticode identifies the publisher of signed software and verifies that it hasn't been tampered with, before users download software to their PCs. As a result, end users can make a more informed decision as to whether or not to download code." [1]

2) The ISI build machine is nearly internet isolated. OS updates and continuous integration software updates all that has been added since 2012. It is virtual machine managed by VMware's vSphere Hypervisor 5.5. I am the only person on this planet with access to this machine thus eliminating the possibility of a saboteur from within. There is no extra software installed and any tool needed on the machine was vetted. I once worked for a defense contractor. I used their list of trusted software to build the tool set for the ISI build machine.

3) Chrome does zero actually scanning of a particular download. Its appears reputation based. They use their search engine technologies to look up generalized results. "To help protect you, Google maintains a list of websites that are known to host malicious downloads and a list of trusted software publishers." [2]

4) Mediafire scans all files that are uploaded. [3]

[1] http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc750035.aspx
    [2] https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/4412392?hl=en
    [3] https://www.mediafire.com/bitdefender/bitdefender_faq.php

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Whatever I offered my help.

1. Make a stripped standalone Chrome folder no updates but with your passwords and links and most used browsing history ( a few sites )

When your Chrome gets bloated delete the entire folder and simply replace it, mine is 300MB

If you want to know how to permanently disable Chrome updates PM me.

You can use this folder on any PC drop and use.

2. Right click downloads " Save AS"

Do the same for any new sites Right CliCK " Open Link in incognito window "

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
  4. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

So Chrome downloads the file anyway and a couple of mouse clicks after downloading declares it safe . I feel so protected . :)

5. B. Gant

B. Gant Registered

When trying to pick a mod in single player, you get stuck. Clicking on one doesnt load it, it just sits there, and you have to rs computer.

I was trying to go all cars all tracks, but nothing happens...no accept button at bottom.

6. B. Gant

B. Gant Registered

ok the buttons are there,,there just not shown...if u click along the bottom where they use to be in previous build, it will select mod u want to use.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

This thread is about updating. You've obviously completed the update, so you should probably post a technical issue (or bug report) here.

8. B. Gant

B. Gant Registered

k. thx

9. yusupov

yusupov Registered

Its a virus guys abort

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

There's a few guys who said they had to install fresh, as BEHIND their rf2 window was an error message they couldn't see.

11. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

For info....

I had a problem updating...got this message:

Installing C++ runtimes
    Installing DirectX runtimes
    C++ and DirectX runtimes successfully installed
    Adding directory: D:\rFactor2\Packages\Skins was NOT successful
    Update procedure has detected and error and stopped

I assumed it was becasue my packages folder is on another drive.
    So I created the missing folder manually seems to have fixed it

12. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Should I laugh at this screenshot (straight sharing of the original installer LOL)? :D

View attachment 13399

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If Chrome actually does what people are saying it does then that is one of the most effed-up way of doing things ever, protection-software wise.

Imagine making an anti-virus program that just scans your computer and deletes every exe (most programs are ".exe" files) on your computer just because many viruses happen to be exe files. LOL!! Imagine having every Honda Civic driver in the entire country (millions of people) arrested just because the most common car used for crimes in the last month was a Honda Civic (just using Honda Civic as an example), LOL!!

On top of that, people are saying that Chrome doesn't even scan the very file you download, but rather, it just assumes/guesses that your file is malicious based on the Internet site that you downloaded it from? Are you kidding me??!!! LOL!!!

This has got to be the most screwed-up, illogical, and retarded way of doing things. It's almost as if Google are purposely trying to make a joke of the entire thing, or are just trying to irritate the hell out of consumers. It's as if they purposely don't want people downloading ANYTHING ,REGARDLESS OF HOW SAFE THE FILE MAY BE, from
    certain select websites.

Then, on top of all that, the final "nail in the coffin" with regards to how completely and utterly illogical, and retarded this entire thing is, is that Chrome doesn't even tell you that your file MAY be malicious, it just straight-up says that the file IS malicious, (and again, it hasn't even scanned the file, it has no idea what you've even downloaded) LOL!!! WTF??!!!!

At least it can be disabled, that being said, having to disable the browsing phishing filter to get around this is ridiculous. Out of 20 of my friends, I bet not even 5 know what a phishing filter even is.

14. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

15. 88mphTim

Exactly. That isn't protecting anyone from anything. It's an atom bomb to kill a house fly.

16. 88mphTim

What's going to have to happen, is us using another server, which costs us more money, and ultimately may give you slower downloads. Pier, above you, uploading Chromes own installer to mediafire, and it said it was malicious. It's idiotic. LIke I said, it's almost like they are intending to have their own download hub, and are purposely destroying others this way.

17. RustyM

RustyM Registered

Just to clarify we must have the online multiplayer subscription in order to get updates? I'm broke and was hoping to do some offline racing for a while, but I didn't know this included software updates, to rF2, which i bought.
    Thx

18. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

Only Auto Update , You can download the regular versions and do a regular install.

19. RustyM

RustyM Registered

Thx Steve for quik info. :cool:

20. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

I had that AV, it was called Norton Internet Security. I had to DL Enduracers 3 times because it would insta-delete the download just because it wasn't signed, and not many users had it.