How sporty sim racing is

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gorgias1976, Jun 29, 2014.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Alonso too??

2. Doc_

Doc_ Registered

Physically driving in a GP is a another kettle of fish altogether.
    I am not surprised Alonso's heart rate is that high.

3. Armando

Armando Registered

124 bpm is barely an aerobic heart rate. There is nothing wrong with that.
    In fact, when doing any aerobic exercise (running, biking, ...), averages around 150-160 bpm are quite common.

Though it also depends on the person, 160 bpm can be comfortable for one person but anaerobic for another.

4. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Since you probably aren't breathing heavy and definitely not exerting any muscle, it could just be called a stressful situation which isn't healthy. :p

5. Doc_

Doc_ Registered

Driving a sim is not aerobic though.

6. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

7. osella

osella Registered

Interesting thread!

124 sounds high HR for simming but it shouldn't be health problem you are just very immersed and focused OP :) Resting HR should be just 60-80 though.
    I also sweat like pig after 2 hours of nonstop race. And I only have G25 with weak ffb. Once I buy T500RS it will be much more with vintage cars to simulate no power steer.

Btw when biking I commonly have HR 140-170, absolute max I ever had was 225.

8. Magus

Magus Registered

Talking about BPM whilst racing, I posted this video in another thread (absolutely cracking video and worth watching the full 20mins).

9. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

So if we want to minimize heart attack risk, we should throw out the racing-seat and install a cycling machine instead? Maybe the peddling acts as a slight turbo boost.;)

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

either way it is less then a hour bike ride , I would hardly call that sporty. :rolleyes:

11. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Just because it burns less calories than an hour's bike ride or 45 minutes at an elliptical machine doesn't mean it isn't "sporty." It is still somewhat aerobic though it doesn't really work the core muscles since you're sitting motionless (as in not in a moving vehicle fighting G-forces).

Heart rate varies on many factors, for example many years ago we had Valentino Rossi and Max Biaggi's heart rate measure and while Valentino was a solid 125 Biaggi spiked up way past 150s.

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

If you do not ride a bike normally you would die before you did a straight hour, go try it.

Anyone can sim for a hour

That is the gulf of differernce.

13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

unfortunately thats true :p

14. coops

coops Banned

didnt know i was keeping fit when playing.

15. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I grew up playing sports and am still very fit so I'd not know. I would not agree however as it's all about the muscles you use, you may not specifically work on them but if they're utilized you'll have more endurance or strength than you think. What kind of bike riding are you talking about? Are you spinning your wheels off doing 30-40km/h the whole time? Are you driving manual cars at Monaco?

16. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

The average HRM grossly overestimates calories for most exercise. It has no idea that you're just sitting in a chair which is further skewing the results.

I own two heart rate monitors (Polar and Garmin) plus I cycle with a CycleOps PowerTap power meter so I know nearly exact power (and therefore calorie expenditure) and how well HRMs measure calories. They're best calibrated for running and other sports where you're moving your body mass without mechanical advantage.

There is no way you can burn 660 kcal in one hour of sim racing. I have years of power meter data that show an hour of moderate cycling (breathing moderate, rolling hills, average weight) requires about 450-500 kJ. It is generally accepted that for the efficiency of the human body that 1 kJ at the power meter is approx 1 kcal burned so... one hour of cycling (for me) is around 450 kcal.

Put another way, it is also generally accepted that to lose one pound/week you need a caloric deficit of 3500 kcal/week. If your HRM data is to be trusted we would all be losing weight by sim racing :D

This thread has got me thinking though... I'll strap on the HRM for my next league event and see what I get.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
  17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

In terms of actual physical mudcle soreness and physical fatigue, well the only time I ever experience or have experienced that is from only 2 particular cars from 1 particular sim, ever. The two cars and the sim are are the ISI karts (Junior and F1) and rFactor 2.

In general sim-racing I sweat quite a bit, and the immense concentration of driving consistently on the limit is psychologically very tiring as well. However, I sweat way more in races than practice/qualy; it must be a psychological thing.

I also usually get a sort of tunnel/cloudy vision thing in the races (which negatively affects performance) that I never get in practice or even qualifying. It must be some sort of nervousness/anxiety thing. It really negatively affects me when trying to lap on your own personal limit like you so easily could do just minutes before in practice and qualy. This is, I believe, the cause of why I drive less consistently, and usually slower overall in races than in practice and qualify (not on purpose).

My real-life racing performances (mostly F2000) are completely opposite to my sim-racing performances.in real-life I would, almost always, be much quicker in races compared to practice and qualy. Out of about 30 people I was usually the fastest or 2nd fastest in the races, however many times in practice and qualy I would have laptimes that would put me amongst the 2nd fastest "group" of drivers, rather than the very top group of 3 or 4 (including myself) drivers. Then in the races I would get to the front, sometimes along with just 1 other person, sometimes 2, and would really pull away from the rest. However, my practice and qualy laptimes would hardly ever be at that very top like my laptimes and performances in the races. This is completely the opposite from sim-racing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
  18. Minibull

Minibull Member

A fairly good video for two reasons. It shows you how to absolutely cut and slash through the pack from the back of the grid.
    Also good, as from 2:00 onwards, it shows an outboard camera displaying Marquez's heart rate. Amazing how high it goes at critical moments, right at the start, hard acceleration and braking, etc.

Edit:FFS, you'll have to watch it on YouTube. MotoGP have disabled embedding.

19. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

20. Minibull

Minibull Member

Mmm yeah, car drivers get seatbelts to hold them under braking, and seats to squish into during acceleration...hehehee :p. Some of the shots I've seen of the riders after the race are crazy. The worst was probably Casey Stoner, racing with undiagnosed lactose intolerance for months which was leaving him bloody weak and tired all the time. Plus you see the crazy **** like Doohan smashing his legs up, and then riding with barely working legs after some crazy operations to fix them, or Lorenzo last year at Assen, breaking his collarbone in practice in a high speed crash, flys out to a hospital and gets it pinned in surgery, comes back and does bloody well in the race barely a day later.

Arm pump is very common amongst motorcross riders too though. I've seen some brutal looking MX-1 races over the years, 45 mins and by the end you can see the riders are just smashed. Tough looking stuff.

I'm still trying to figure out the sweating thing. I did think though that I race on a swivel highback office type chair, so maybe when I am really going for it when racing, I am inadvertently moving around with the seat, and I'm tensing all my body up to try and keep steady while driving. I have also noticed in those tense or exciting times sim racing, that I get this weird feeling in my heart. It sorta feels like it's beating fast or something, but then I check my pulse and it is not fast at all. Maybe it's some tiny bit of adrenaline or something.