Automatic steering lock and Fanatec problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marc Collins, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I love the auto steering lock feature, per car. Set it once and forget it and each time you switch vehicles, the sim looks after the settings.

However, it appears that rF2 literally adjusts the Windows controller settings to do this. I want/have the Fanatec/Windows controller control panel setting at 900 degrees, the max for my Fanatec wheel. I then go in to rF2 and pick for example the Clio, which has a 612 degree setting. When I exit rF2, my Fanatec/Windows control panel setting is now at 612 degrees, instead of returning to 900.

This subsequently screws-up whatever other sim/game you want to use, because all of then are expecting 900 (or whatever degrees you chose to configure them initially).

I am guessing that rF2 is not likely aware of the Windows setting at launch or load of a vehicle--it just overrides whatever is there with it's vehicle-based setting.

There is a line in controller.ini:

Steering Wheel Range="900" // Degrees of steering wheel rotation, both visual and physical (if available)

It doesn't seem to affect this issue.

Do others have this same issue, or am I missing a setting somewhere?

If it's not just me, ISI please fix. It's not neighbourly to mess-up the other sims ;)

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I have a fanatec and to be honest this issue seems to come up totally random for me. It will work for awhile, fanatec profiler will stay at 900, then once in a blue moon the fanatec profiler will be stuck at whatever steering of the car I was using last. It's strange.

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Mine might be random, too. I have been using primarily rF2 for the last while, so??? Regardless, hope it can get corrected.

4. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

I'm not using other sims at the moment but yes the problem seems quite random. Sometimes automatic steering range doesn't even work at all (steering range gets set wrong, usually way too slow, even though the value is shown correctly). Often I just tick the automatic steering range -> go to car -> back to garage -> controller settings (steering wheel range value should now be set by the game) -> untick automatic steering range. If it still feels wrong then exit game -> fanatec controller settings -> set steering wheel range manually to the value shown earlier in rF2 controller settings.

5. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I remember this problem when i had the csr-elite.

6. Jisonga

Jisonga Registered

It may be worth checking the Fanatec website and try the latest drivers and firmware for your wheel, you never know it might help. Sometimes with Fanatec stuff a re install can even help.

Jason.

7. Jamie Shorting

Well to add to this mystery, my vehicle set degrees of rotation has never gone awry.

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Neither has mine. It's the Windows setting being overridden by rF2 that is the problem.

9. delapecs

delapecs Registered

+1 with the latest fanatec beta driver

10. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

I haven't noticed this and I hop between rF1 and rF2 a lot. However, I have my S1 preset at 900 and S2 at 540 which I switch back and forth (S2 is for rF1 and S1 is all other sims) as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
  11. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

I'm not too sure that the 'windows' controller option is the overriding feature?
    I think the onwheel option is the one that's in control?
    It seems that way at least from a very cursory test a while back with my Elite.

I could be wrong...................

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Yes, on-wheel should override Windows, but that's not the issue. The issue is that rF2 is overriding Windows. That isn't a problem for rF2, but it is as soon as you go to another sim that uses the Windows settings.

I think it may be car-related. In other words, certain vehicles will cause the auto setting to remain in Windows while others do not. If I had no life or didn't have to work for a living, I'd spend an hour or two beta testing this. Hopefully ISI knows what's going on and will fix in the next release or can confirm it's Fanatec's fault. That always goes over well at Fanatec...

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Driver 200; Firmware 53; Build 798...problem is still there. No issue if you only use rF2 as it will reset to whatever car you pick. If you use any other sim, it looks to the now distorted Windows control panel setting and you end up with less than the 900 degrees you should have.

14. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I just use s1 for rf2 s2 for ac s3 for rf1 etc etc individual profiles for each sim/game. That solves any issue.

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

How does that affect whether rF2 deposits/leaves its wheel rotation setting in Windows upon exit of the game? Hopefully all sims will use ISI's system of selecting the steering lock per car automatically. It's a wonderful feature. That should be followed by gear change options set-once-and-forget per vehicle (as iRacing has). Since the gear change method of the car I am driving (H-pattern, sequential shifter or paddles) never changes, why does it need to be adjusted every time you switch vehicles in the sim? Absurd UI design.

But back on topic, rF2 needs to play nice and reset the Windows setting back to "normal" upon exit so it doesn't interfere with other sims.

16. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Are you using on wheel degrees or the fanatec/windows degrees?

meaning if you set the degrees on the wheel to off it then uses the fanatec/windows setting.

17. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Fellow Fanatec racers - I may have some good news! Think I've found reasons for two problems; steering wheel range not matching the car setting and also why Windows controllers setting get overridden. I've pinpointed the second problem into FanaLEDs. So are you who are suffering from the second issue using FanaLEDs too? Mine is version 2.2e. Hopefully you can reproduce it so we could confirm it's the same issue for everyone and let ISI know about it. For me it's 100% reproducable. Here's the whole story - and quite interesting one I might add! :) At all use cases Steering Wheel Range Vehicle Set is ticked on from rFactor 2 in-game Settings/Controls. All in-wheel settings are Off except FF 100 and For 100 (wheel is Fanatec ClubSport Wheel a.k.a. CSW).

Case 1:
    1. Shutdown wheel and restart computer
    2. Start wheel and wait for it to calibrate/initialize
    3. Start FanaLEDs
    4. Start rFactor 2 Launcher
    5. Start Single Player
    6. Load track
    7. Go into car
      [*]Steering wheel range is correct 576° (URD EGT Venom) in other words virtual wheel movement matches real wheel
    8. Exit rFactor 2
      [*]Windows controllers setting has original value 840° (Set up USB game controllers -> ClubSport Wheel -> Properties -> Settings -> Wheel angle)
    Conclusion: Everything working fine here :)

Case 2:
    1. Shutdown wheel and restart computer
    2. Start FanaLEDs
    3. Start rFactor 2 Launcher
    4. Start Single Player and wait until main menu is shown
    5. Start wheel and wait for it to calibrate/initialize
    6. Load track
    7. Go into car
      [*]Steering wheel range is incorrect (probably 840° = Windows controllers setting)
    8. Wait for plugins to load. Once plugins are loaded steering wheel range got magically corrected!
    9. Exit rFactor 2
      [*]Windows controllers setting has changed into 576°
    Conclusion: Wheel needs to be started and let calibrate/initialize before rF2 is started. Otherwise wheel range is not set correctly. Is this a bug in rF2, Fanatec or Windows? Is some plugin correcting the wheel range automatically or is it done by rF2 after plugins are loaded? Also it seems like this somehow messes up the Windows controllers setting.

Case 3:
    1. Reset Windows controllers setting for your wheel (I set mine to 840° because there's little problem with physical steering wheel range)
    2. Shutdown wheel and restart computer
    3. Start rFactor 2 Launcher
    4. Start Single Player and wait until main menu is shown
    5. Start wheel and wait for it to calibrate/initialize
    6. Load track
    7. Go into car
      [*]Steering wheel range is incorrect
    8. Wait for plugins to load. Once plugins are loaded steering wheel range is not corrected anymore
    9. Exit rFactor 2
      [*]Windows controllers setting has original value 840°
    Conclusion: When steering wheel range is not correct and once FanaLEDs plugin is loaded then FanaLEDs main window automatically fixes the problem. However it most likely does this by altering the Windows controllers setting value which is problematic for those who use other simulations (which are relying on Windows controllers setting).

So if you guys could try to reproduce these problems by going through those three cases and report back your observations? Thanks!

EDIT: Found this old message (30.10.2012) from Terence;

Don't know if Fanatec has updated their API. Anyway it's not ISI's job to revert the value back because it seems it's FanaLEDs causing the problem. However before anyone goes screaming into FanaLEDs forums let's first wait if ISI is able to fix the root problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2014
  18. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

You should always startup your wheel before firing up rF2.
    rF1 did not like starting up wheel after starting rF1.

You don't mention whether you have degrees also set on the wheel or set to off?
    Not everyone has or uses fanaleds.

19. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Everything Off from wheel except FF 100 and For 100.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2014
  20. Jamie Shorting

Yep. That and Fanaleds is probably the reason why he's the only one with wrong steering wheel rotation. OP was about the wheel not resetting to 900 after rF2 shutdown. :p