Parts of cars disappearing

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by TJones, Jun 26, 2014.

1. TJones

TJones Registered

GRAB_001.JPG

Practice at Silverstone with 29 AI drivers, URD EGT and Apex GT3 mod, 64bit EXE.

I switched a few times (Alt + Tab) between rF2 and desktop before.

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I've noticed this when alt+tabbing. Have you noticed this without alt+tabbing through?

3. TJones

TJones Registered

Didn't test it so far, will do now!

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

could it be related to this that was posted in the Unstable release thread?

5) GMT formats. There may be some Third Party mods out there that does not work. Rebuild your mod using the newer GMT formats. There may be a cutoff of age.

If so that's the mod teams problem to fix.

5. TJones

TJones Registered

So, test with same conditions as above except task switching, running now on my PC (writing here from my notebook) for about 35 min. (issue above occurs after 20-25min.).
    Everything fine so far!

Update: After now 55min. still everything normal, i brake up now, AI are ayway lazy sitting in the pits. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2014
  6. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Could be because of Auto Detail FPS -option? With some older builds I've noticed sometimes this option is in use by the game even though it's not set on at Graphics Settings. I think it was before the b660 when noticed it. When entered into car from garage then at first time Auto Detail FPS was on (framerate was higher) and then after exiting into garage and back to car it was off (framerate was lower). Didn't report it as thought it was so obvious it would get fixed anyway. When nothing was said about it at forums then thought maybe it existed on my side only.

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yeah so far I only see parts vanish after an Alt+Tab. But sometimes I can Alt+Tab and everything is still fine. It's interesting because exiting all the way to the main menu and then going back into a new session doesn't fix the missing parts. The only fix is to totally close rF2 and reopen it.

8. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I'm getting it too with the SPCL1 Miata car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (click)

I never Alt Tabbed. Auto-detail off. The Brabham cars are fine but.

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

64bit build I am assuming? I think there is a problem with GMT's exported by zmodeler in the 64bit build. It would be interesting to know if PlickBadger is using zmodeler.

10. juankyskys

juankyskys Registered

11. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

No zmodeler used in the Miatas. I use 3DSimEd 3.0s for my final GMT exports

Sound like things might be borked up for a while if the GMT format has changed that much.

12. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

I can confirm - I'm see missing parts on both the 32bit and 64bit versions. What doesn't make sense to me, is that if it were actually a gmt format or version issue, you would think it wouldn't load any of the cars completely.

I'm also seeing a considerable amount of corruption on the meshes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2014
  13. 3NPV5IRR

3NPV5IRR Registered

I had this issue with MR01 at Silverstone (some cares missed few components while other were ok). Now I have fresh install and cannot repeat the issue. If it helps, I had 3rd party UI when had the issue. Now I can't swith to that UI again, so don't know how to check it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2014
  14. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

I don't think this is a GMT version issue. I think this is an actual bug in the way the game is loading vehicle instances.

Try this as a test.
    1. Start a practice session with 0 AI
    2. use the Add AI button to add as many as your machine can handle

There should be no corrupt or missing parts.

If you exit the game and then add a bunch of AI to load up the practice session, then things get goofy.

15. Patterik

Patterik Registered

Works fine using this method.

16. Coanda

Coanda Registered

I had this problem with ISI F2 at Indy. Parts went missing on half the field. I did alt+tab through to windows. I also got my first CTD today.

View attachment 13357

17. canastos

canastos Registered

I've got this bug too, once with BES mod, and then with Nissan GT-R, both at Silverstone
    After several (two or three) Alt+Tab game got frozen, couldn't go back to it, and, as usual, had to kill it in Task Manager

byyyyyyyyye

18. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

Looks like some issues with not loading some debris and other custom instance parts. I see that it allways loads the body instance.

We had similar issues in the past with URD cars when i didnt use MAX, HIGH, MED and LOW settings but i have them now on all parts needed, especially on those not visible there now. And gmt versions on those parts are all same to so it must be some code issues as sayed not loading some instance parts.

19. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

That makes sense, but one shouldn't have to specify those identifiers if you're not using different LODs for different graphics settings. ISI doesn't do this on all of their debris or parts.

20. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I had missing car parts too when I did the memory stress tests, see link
    But I needed to alt+tab out to get memory values, so I did these tests again without alt+tab and I didn't get any missing car parts anymore! Stressing rfactor2 for ~2 hours.

Immediately after alt+tab out and in again I got missing car parts again. I did following tests:
    64bit build, Nords 1.65 and All URD cars, details all to full, other settings highest, 103 AIs: mem usage 7.7GB, GPU mem usage >3GB (I have 3GB).
    64bit build, Nords 1.65 and All URD cars, details to high, player details to full, other settings highest, 103 AIs: mem usage 6.6GB, GPU mem usage 2.8GB.

So even if there is more GPU mem needed than available there are no missing car parts, which I thought could be a problem. It's only alt+tab causing missing car parts here.