Throttle and Break control Feel (Help)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by boxer, Jun 24, 2014.

1. boxer

boxer Registered

Why are both of these feel like a switch to me? (I would say everything appears to happen within the first 10-20% of the pedal movement). What can I do to improve the feel and control? I have a G25 set-up.
    I usually have sensitivity set to 0%.
    (I just can’t control the car without ABS and Traction control so in most on-line races it’s a spin feast for me).

Any tips?

2. datanode

datanode Registered

Pedal overlay is a good start. Make sure the pedal travel represents the throw of the actual pedal.

Have you tweaked anything else like; max min travel.

What car are you trying to control?

Maybe it is more a case of timing and positioning rather than hw or car setup.

3. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

In your shoes i would try with brake and throttle sensitivity set to 100.

Also, be sure to calibrate in game the pedals, in the Controls screen or also on track, pressing both the pedals 100% before to leave the garage.

4. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

That's probably where your problem starts. :p

Put throttle back and brake back to 100%.

oops. I just noticed I repeated what Max said. :)

5. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

I use 50% with my logitech pedals and 100% for my clubsports. The logitech have less throw, 50 percent gets rid of the sensitive feeling.

6. matf1

matf1 Registered

In the Logitech Gaming Software, click on Accelerator and choose 'Axis Properties' and you'll see this screen
    View attachment 13259 Drop the sensitivity to 0% and have 100% set in game.

7. sgatke

sgatke Registered

I recently discovered that my G25 and Windows together had decided that my pedals were "digital" (ie, either on or off). That made it quite a challenge to drive any cars :)
    I believe I had to fix this in both Windows Control Panel and the Logitech G25 software (also remember to set brake and gas to separate axis).
    Back in rFactor 2, I noticed that there was very little travel between 'no brakes' and 'full brakes' and the same for the gas pedal. I fixed this by adjusting the sensitivity sliders below the small graphs. To my recollection, I set both of them to 35%
    This gave me much better feeling with the pedals so I now feel more in control.
    I am still not a fast driver though :)

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

We need to find out if the issue is hardware/software or you first (or a bit of both). If it's hardware/software then it involves a "fix" but if it's you then it'll involve a "tip".

1) Have you checked in the logithec profiler that your pedals are working in their full range and linearly? Have you also repeated this check in rf2's controller settings page in game?

2) Do you race any other sim/game with you g25 and if so, do you have the same/similar problem (provided you have all driving help options disabled on them all)?

I don't know what your experience level with racing sims is but your issue of stability under throttle and braking could actually be due to something else....e.g. your ffb (if your even using it) feeding you bad information or that your using the ingame option "vsync video" which causes a 200-300ms input lag making it MUCH harder to save snap oversteer moments....or many other possibilities. And lastly, sorry to be blunt but it could possibly just be you as well (again don't know what your racing or sim racing experience is).

Oops...can't believe i forgot to ask this first....what car(s) are you driving? This is of major significance not all cars are equal when it comes to throttle and/or braking stability.

To name a few 60's F1, Brabham, Modern Formula cars, Skippy (under braking at speed), Corvette, etc.

Try something stable and easy if you haven't yet (such as the Renault Megane) and report back if it's still the same or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
  9. boxer

boxer Registered

Lot of good tips I'll give it try later today... I believe the logitech windows setup is the defult.. in rf2 wouldn't 100% sensativity make worse?

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

just try 100% sensitivity. I have g25 as well.

Also

[​IMG]

11. Moe Faster

Moe Faster Registered

I have a G25. I have added a 25vac/2.5amp power supply & the Bodnar Pedal adapter. Boy Howdy, what a difference that makes for $75. More bump & grind on the wheel & the stand alone pedals have twice the resolution. now my problems with control are significantly reduced. I think that the pedals going thru the G25 induced a bit too much lag & I was never able to catch the car before spinning out. now it's like having pedals that actually influence the outcome. cool, huh?

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Along with everyone elses suggestions, take a look at your framerate. If you have your graphics set too high, it will be difficult for you to react to things properly.

13. boxer

boxer Registered

Thanks Guys I can see some improvements... It appears the constant locking of the brakes may be a bit better... Still having a hard time with the throttle... but may be a bit more practice will improve it...
    Cars: as you may have guessed rear drive cars are the most sensitive to this... but it doesn't mean this is not present in FW drive cars... it's just that the constant wheel spin doesn't throw you into a spin... but the affect is still there..
    do I have other sim yes... (how do they feel....) don't know too long since I bothered installing them :) ...

In rF2 I have most MODS available including EGT - i.e. for the EGT MOD which I find is the opposite ... I apply the pedals and the feeling is that the PC keeps me from losing control... giving me way to much grip and prolonged un-realist brake feel.(should try with new settings.)
    The reason I posted is that based on what I can see on the MP races many have it figured out.

as for FPS - with the ISI chev cars I get around 100 fps at Silverstone during the warm up... (single car on tracks)... typical I see anywhere from 50 to 80 fps. (don't keep that close of of eye on it)... I run AMD 955 + nVidea 660Ti (3GB).

Here are the screens for my set-ups... (may be a good idea to have a hardware set-up section for new users...)
    View attachment 13292
    View attachment 13293
    View attachment 13294
    View attachment 13295

14. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I have an idea.

Disclaimer: I'm not a logictech user and am only brainstorming here.

Turn your logitech profiler sensitivity to 100%, then adjust your ingame profiler to perhaps 80% to get the lower end of your pedal travel less sensitive. Also turn down "brake pressure" in the garage setup screen if you are locking up too easily.

Reason why I say turn your logitech profiler sensitivity to 100% is because I think having it lower is just having too much going on. Let rF2 handle all the sensitivity and adjust in rF2 only.

15. matf1

matf1 Registered

I'm curious how 0% throttle in the logi software and 100% in game felt for you. From your description, I had the exact issue you face and after trying what seemed like all other solutions, this is what did it for me. The throttle is now fully linear.

16. boxer

boxer Registered

Great news... (for me at least)...
    After confirming the Logitech settings (which I think where OK per suggestions above) and re-setting sensitivity back to 100% in rF2 I’m seeing huge improvements.

I feel in control of the car now (what a shocker)... the breaking is night and day.... I no longer have constant lock-ups nor constant spins...
    Up until now I thought all ISI RWD cars were impossible to drive... (I considered them a spin fest).
    I’ll be honest I actually thought of the ice feeling people where complaining about was real... but having playing with this set-up a bit today... now I don’t feel the same way... I can actually do multiple laps without any aids and not crash (OK OK may that’s wishful thinking... I tend to run out of talent after a few corners).... Now I feel confident in the car... this is like a new SIM to me...

I am shocked at the improvement I’m seeing.... to think I been putting up with this spin fest for 2yrs!!!

(May be I am one off but I think a beginners hardware setup guide would be a great Idea...LIKE Warning Read this FIRST or setup for dummies)....
    Thanks everyone this has been a great help. I wish I had asked the question months/years ago.

(I lost a bit of track feel I think - the feed back through the wheel is much lower. As if the track has no bumps..) also is there anything that can be done to firm up the centre position on the wheel..? It appear that there is no resistance near the centre point.

Boxer

17. Miro

Miro Registered

18. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

19. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

For the bumps, try lowering the FFB Smoothing, in the in-game Controls menu, but be aware: the wheel might rattle in the 3d curbs.