Communities and the re-activation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Valter Cardoso, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Hi all.
    We´ve seen last week a great drop on number of players per race. Usually on league races we were around 18/20 and last week that number dropped to around 11/12.
    This was due to people not reactivating their rf2 license.
    Talking to some members they expressed they do not want to pay to activate the license while new things dont come. They prefer to wait and see. This was not due to any other sim. People just are not getting excited by this anymore.
    The addicted ones we had no problem and everybody reactivated their license.

Would be interessting to know what percentage of initial buyers did reactivate their license, the standard one.
    For the first time we´re getting some headache on what to use for upcoming seasons. While rf2 is the most advanced one (by far), people are not getting the interest we were expecting.
    How it was in your community? Did you feel this behaviour on your members? What did you do to bypass this situation.

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

The only reason why I activated mine was to run one specific event. If it wasn't for that event I wouldn't have. Why? Pickup racing doesn't interest me that much and there isn't any leagues that run what I'm interested in.

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

We've been struggling ever since rf2 beta was released. a mixture of reasons saw our memberbase decline and scatter, no1 to blame really. mainly old vs new that left people wondering.

But getting up to speed with old and new members proves to be a real struggle. it just stays in a lull and whatever we try, it doesn't change much. currently in round3 of our championship and I will have tears of joy when we exceed 15 drivers in this race. its that bad.

Consequently admin-push decreases as well, hard to maintain focus and enthusiasm and that always influences a community down the road, no push, no glory. peeps get uninterested. and maybe indeed start the waiting game. Admins included.

I'm convinced we need more patience and technically it will fall into place at some point, i'm just afraid we will not last that long. been 2 years already, can't run a league on half a leg.
    The upside on that one is that those league-drivers will strengthen some other leagues eventually and we all might get to enjoy it a bit more when its at full force.
    For now its pretty disheartening though.

No indication in our community that the licence deals has anything to do with it though.

4. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

If you have to break your head to install mods or even to join a server in a pretty empty multiplayer, even a monkey can predict that this was going to happen. For the first time rF2 has good competitors and you cannot sell the physics and features this game have if you lack of good user-friendly interface for it with regular graphics and horrible performance.

5. Jamie Shorting

I don't know why, but this kind of misinformation annoys me.

6. Max

Max Registered

How about this information.. I and most probably, have not or will not re-activate, simply cause in my case, nothing is happening... I uninstalled this sim, after the 660 update/ Was nice n all.. Not enough though. A yearly sub to play online? lol.. no. With 11 people across the World? Hahaa no. I do like to use it for single player time trials only. Though as I said I uninstalled it,with the many shoddy 3rd party tracks n all, waiting for the 64 bit update.(Want to start fresh) Sad really, this sim could have been more than it is. I am kinda blown away by it myself. Meh, whatever. I've been enjoying myself with other sims, though I wish rFactor was at the top of my list anymore, it is not.

7. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

That just about sums it up , sadly .

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think the universe just exploded, because we had a league race on Friday with 13 people in it, and that was with 3 people withdrawing for personal reasons. The weird thing is I don't think we're alone...

9. Max

Max Registered

lol I loved that response, that really made me laugh. It was so obscure. Was a great retort :) Kinda my point too

10. rhamm

rhamm Registered

It's pretty sad that 18 months later the game still isn't good enough for ISI to want to actively advertise it like a retail release.

11. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Firstly, Why would you buy the license that needs reactivating every year in the first place?? You've already paid $36 USD in the past 3 years + the original perches price 40.52USD = 78.55USD.
    Life time license ATM is 78.72USD. This is slightly up for us in Australia because of the exchange rate from 3 years ago to now but the result today would be the same. 2 more years and you've paid more then you would for any other game you own.

I see the Mod Manger used as an reason. Not sure that's really valid. Even new people to rF2 can quickly learn how to install to their package folder. Even creating a short-cut on your desktop to that folder would make it a 1 click to that folder instead of going through the path every time. Not a valid excuse.

Lack of updates?? This is so funny! it's pathetic! What game apart from AC ATM updates every few weeks?
    What I hate the most around here is those idiots that find, download new content then after install or even while it's still downloading their on the forum asking when it will be updated?? WTF??? Idiot! Be helpful and give feedback on it after you've actually used it!

Lack of content.
    Really it's not lack of, but the lack of what you love to use, drive. Tracks "you" want. Be true to yourself and others, this is closer to it.

Third part content being crap. You can't say that about "all" of it. If it's crap, don't use it.

Ok now this is getting into were rF2 drops off the cliff and the reason I want use it and I'd say most.
    Vmod. The need to have all the content in it, even the crap.
    Although a better way to go then rFmod that is now debunked but still a annoying pain. ISI say "getmod" download stuff you don't want? Of cause you don't want it! If you did, you'd already have it, Right?
    A Vmod can be made for 1 track, 1 car or series. Even in a league making a Vmod for the whole season would be a mistake. Open servers, Well you know the answer to that.

Third party add-ons.
    This is another area were rF2 fulls in a hole. Mod groups are plagued with rF2's components that don't work right or are just turned off. Most are still waiting.

ISI content has no constant. Every car is different. Alpha and shaders are all over the place and no one knows what's going to happen down the track in the next update to these elements. I'm tired of reading how great ISI content is over third part. It isn't! Just look at the template you use for your liveries. Their badly mapped, The layout is rough. Part sizing is off. You can't build 1 side and flip it for the other, They don't match. The shading layer (light Layer) is rough, full of noise. Rushed. This quality goes right through the cars components. Poor at best.
    Mod teams are still waiting for ISI to build a good mod that can be used as a base line. This hasn't happened as yet.

Performance.
    This would be the largest part of why people are not using rF2 online. The upcoming 64bit exe is a exciting forward step to help fix this. For those that have 32bit systems it should help you as well.

Will a 64bit run on a 32bit system? A stupid question I'd say but one that's being asked. Will add-ons for 32bit work with 64bit exe, Chances are no! Would Chevy parts fit your Dodge? Chances are no!
    When will it be released?
    When it's ready to be released. When it's working correctly. Stop asking stupid question. It's so annoying!
    Some say Tim's answers are arrogant and abrupt (rude). I'd agreed but some question deserve it!

Now days there are just to many other options out there for people to choose. rF2 has the worst performance level and the most irritating online experience even over rFactor. The Simbin titles like Gt Legends, GT-R2 eg.eg are still high on the user list over rF2.

AC would be good but it's just full of that Euro trash like Ferrari, McMaren and how many Lotus? Hahah... Come on! You complain about rF2 content?? Really!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
  12. FOG>Daheee

FOG>Daheee Registered

I along with every other member of out forum did not renew my online licence. Hard to say why other than I was very disappointed with RF2 after being a massive RF1 fan for a good 5 years. For sure there are many reasons, however the way people jump all over everything you post on forums these days I dont see the point in talking about it. I hope sometime in the near future that RF2 might be worth another look, but as of now myself and my team are concentrating on AC.

I dont get alot of time to game these days although when I do I never feel the urge to boot up RF2 as I did with RF1.

13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

We've seen none of this.
    There is frustration of joining/connection issues but people generally take these problems for granted as we know they will eventually be fixed.
    We dont see any frustration about mods either, if new people cant cope we help them to.
    Also we had a good income of new people this season, all looks good here, our only problem is we are understaffed so big amount of work drops on few people.

14. Emery

Emery Registered

> We dont see any frustration about mods either, if new people cant cope we help them to.

Now THAT is community!

15. Jamie Shorting

+1

Knowing that they aren't a bunch of whiners makes me want to check them out.

16. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Yup, the benefits of joining a community for sure.
    And imo the 'problems' are defo not content related, plenty to go around with, both ISI's and 3rd party. especially for leagues it should not be an issue as championships usually do not include different mods every week. And most people will race anything if the events are well organised and the group is stable in terms of race conditions.

I (we) expected issues and problems tbh, was a conscious (and desperate) choice to use rf2 for our next championship. Can't really expect flawless performance from an open source MP game, comes with the territory. But it seems a bit much across the board to become stable and well supported.

I reckon the cracked games in rf1 vs the tightened security in rf2 plays a big part as well. if this is still the case then we just are seeing a lot less casual drivers being pushed towards leagues.

Not sure wat D.Painter is on about lol

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Oh dear...... No matter all the hard work you do Tim cleaning up the forums ...............you get new threads like this.

Big whoop another useless whiners thread .

Good job :cool:

Maybe you could make a " rFactor2 General whiners " forum T

18. Max

Max Registered

lol it's not just another useless whiner thread. Perhaps it can and should be seen as what it is. No one is playing this online.? Durge, the koolaid you drink, enjoy it. Others do not like the taste as much as you. Good Job :) Big whoop he says, yeah, it kinda is a big whoop. Perhaps the 10 people playing it online, find it a big whoop also? ?? No one finds this most distressing? Aside from everyone but yourself of course, Durge?

19. Jamie Shorting

Don't fall into the trap Durge. It's quite clear what he's doing here. ;)

20. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Thank you sir, that is our top priority.

You are welcome to join whenever you feel like it.