AI behaviour estimation that could be fixed

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by TheDog6, Jun 19, 2014.

1. TheDog6

TheDog6 Registered

Hello, I may be wrong, but I believe have observed that the AI, in RF1 also, tend to commit a lot more errors when they feel the human driver near them. Try to do a race going inmediately after the ai pack and another letting a gap of two hundred of feet beween them and you. If you keep this distance, is possible that AI don't mistake in all the race, do the contrary and it will be very difficult that the Ai don't commit errors inmediately, sometimes it is absolutely automatic. So, this is kind of a scripted behaviour, totally unreal, in real life it's possible that you commit more errors being harassed, but not so many and so often. And this doesn't change with the ai aggression or skills or talent files. Besides, they only do it if the "harasser" is the human driver. As I said before if you let them they don't commit errors although obviously they are totaly harassed by other AI drivers, which is totally more unreal even. The thing is that this is a factor of non enjoying racing. Thank you and a lot more thanks if something can be done, like try to even mistakes caused by human and by ai harassing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2014
  2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Have a look in your player file for "AI Mistakes" and turn it down to 0 and see what happens?

3. TheDog6

TheDog6 Registered

No I don't but I don't say nothing about mistakes generally, only about the difference between Ai and human harassment. I forgot to say that perhaps this only happens, or a lot more, in the beginnings of the races, two or three first laps, and that it is strongly influenced by the aiw path.

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I'm unsure whether it has an influence with pressure mistakes, but worth a try.

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I think he's referring to the hesitant behaviour around the human player which noticed varies depending on the corner/track. Sometimes they can run by your side through a turn others they back off fit no apparent reason, my reckoning is they see the Collison/Off track ahead and stop committing to the battle. Therefore you get that hesitant behaviour, nothing you can really do now unless you mess with the AIW for every track.

6. TheDog6

TheDog6 Registered

But just setting mistakes to 0 doesn't fix anything, just you don't get AI errors, that I guess it's not very desirable. But I am not talking about hesitants behaviours, I think they are absolutely intentional, I don't know if it's something inherited since long ago, but my impression is they do so to try to stop the human driver, a totally arcadish behaviour. Don't know, perhaps AI coding is so difficult and complex that if the brain who designed it at first is no more available, it's better not to touch it too much. Of course that I am not sure of this, but I can't but think so very often.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

the AI (like the rest of the game) is getting updates every Build or so, it's an ongoing process.
    Hard to understand exactly what you're trying to get at so maybe you could post a YouTube video to help?

8. TheDog6

TheDog6 Registered

Well, I think in my first post I let it more or less clear. In the first laps of almost all the races, if you start last in the grid, you can try to do two things, provided your pace is enough: to stand inmediately behind the last AI driver and match their pace, but not overtaking them. In this case you will see that very soon, inmediately sometimes, there's some AI mistake that carries on often many cars involved and they retain you in the mess a lot of time. Or you can stand two or thee hundred feets behind the last, trying to remain at that distance. In this case you will see that the AI Pack continues undaunted all well and mistakeless, probably until the end of the race, if the aiw path is good enough.

So we have here a clear different behaviour always up to the human driver and what he does. And what I would like is that AI behaviour wasn't depending of this, because in real race if for example you go in the 13 position, you don't mind at all what does whom is in the 16 position, or, if you really mind, you'd really mind also what does who goes in 15 position, and this is not the case if the 15 position is an AI driver.

This said, I really can't discard that these things only happen to me, I've lived enough to know it's possible. Cheers.

9. TheDog6

TheDog6 Registered

I've tried to recreate the things for the purpose of making a video, but I couldn't. I was so sure that this happened in fact in RF1 that I thought it would be here also. But AI has improved a lot more than I thought. I was experiencing the problem with a car and track "tuned" by me. And the tries with the Skip and Limerock have been correct. So I'm really sorry for all the nonsense of this thread and if it could be deleted for the history would be the best thing.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yep theres been a lot of AI work between Rf1 > RF2 and since RF2s inception ;)

11. tomolart

tomolart Registered

From what i gather, Dog6 means when you apply pressure to an AI driver, his speed and laptimes drop, compared to if you are ahead and the AI is chasing, or the AI has space around him, the AI laptimes are more consistent and faster. Any sort of pressure (even from being close behind) slowers the AI for no real reason, it doesnt even have to be side by side racing.

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It should, with AI where we have enough AI 'players' in our talent file, only be like that with certain drivers. Some drivers have a more composed way of reacting.