When will 64 Bit.exe Be out?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zach, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Zach

Zach Registered

I just got this game,and currently I can run most of the things on high but reflection on low. I get about a solid 40 FPS. I was just wondering when 64 bit comes out so I can run this game to its full potential. It looks so amazing on the screenshots but in my game.... not so much. Also, how fast do builds usually come out? I saw on RF2 video from about a year ago and it was only build 250. Now its build 660 I believe.

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/20167-rFactor-2-Memory-Usage-Upgrades-In-Upcoming-Build

It comes out when it's ready. Just remember, as Jeremy (one of the ISI devs) has stated, a 64 bit exe won't hugely increase performance, just because 64 is 32 x 2.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

When development and testing is completed on it.

Are you getting memory errors? And that's why you can't run those settings? If not, it's quite possible 64bit won't change that fact.

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Tim, sometimes there is talk about a performance boost (more or less) and sometimes -like in this quote- I understand that if you don't get an error; you will not notice (almost) anything.

What happens when you are right up to the point it JUST don't give that error? Stuttering of the game? FPS lowering? Lag?
    That should improve than, right?

5. crz

crz Registered

No there is no performance hit whatsoever when you are just below the 32 bit memory limit. It will just crash when you reach it.

6. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

Don't know in rF2, but in rF, it's wrong.

7. crz

crz Registered

That is at least how I experienced it with rf2 but I never had that with rf1.

8. stonec

stonec Registered

The virtual address space of a 32-bit program is 4 GB. There is no reason why approaching this limit would cause any slowdowns, as slowdowns would imply that the program would try to deal with the situation and "optimize " memory usage when approaching the limit. This is not the case, it will simply crash.

The only reason for slowdowns with large memory usage is if you have hardware limitations. For example, if you only have 4 GB RAM installed, then approaching this 4 GB limit would start swapping used memory to the hard disk, which is very slow.

Finally, there is basically no performance benefit from running 64-bit itself as has been stated a million times. ISI has discussed that they made some optimizations in 32-bit code as well, which could see reduced memory usage all around. I haven't heard of any FPS improvements coming though.

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

64 Bit is like the holy grail around here, when it gets released and people realise there is not a significant performance increase it will be time to flog another dead horse by saying rF2 is worthless without DX11.

10. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

I'm no expert in that area, so I'm not saying you're wrong. But I tested that myself (again in rF), and it was unplayable near the limit, and I have 16 GB.
    And I never said (nor read) there was a performance improvement by moving to 64 bit alone, but it's get rid of the performance drop near the limit. Which is not the same.

11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Nice explanation here, but would you care to elaborate a bit on the quoted part?
    I'm trying to understand and for now; I can't.

You say that when you have only 4gb, the game starts using the swap file. But since this game is 32 bit and so only uses the 4gb; I would say that it does use the swap file anyway? I mean; I go from the point that more memory is used because you say it is going to use the swap and the ram is accessible for only 4gb?

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

My thoughts as well Woodee, its going to be ugly :)

13. Minibull

Minibull Member

If you have 8Gb of RAM, the 32 bit rF2 will be able to use, for arguments sake, 4GB max RAM. That leaves the other 4GB free for the background processes and everything else the computer is doing. No need to really hit the swap file, there is spare memory to run everything else.

If you have 4GB of RAM, 32 bit rF2 may want to use that 4GB max if need be (lots of AI, big track, etc). Your computer then has to start actively trying to move processes that are in RAM into the swap file to provide that needed RAM, taking away resources from the sim. That is where you may find some performance issues, if you are in that very specific area of problems and computer hardware. The sim will not always be taking up that 4GB of RAM though, which is why it seems not many people run into issues with typical track and car numbers. Sim takes up 2.5 GB of RAM, which leaves enough spare for everything else even though you only have 4GB of actual hardware RAM.

I have usually found that rF2 will just run out of usable memory and crash on me.

@Woodee: Yeah...I can kind of see that happening currently XD.

14. MJP

MJP Registered

Agreed, bet we will still see posts like 'ZOMG my FPS has doubled with 64bit EXE, THANKS ISI' alongside 'ZOMG my FPS has halved with 64bit EXE, ISI YOU SUCK' lol.

15. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

That is just funny though, but i'm more concerned if it will work as intended, what kind of problems arise. already we've warned our members to install separately if possible when the new build gets released close to our championship events.
    Remember its not just 64bit, I understand (or assume) the major Core changes will be released as well then.

16. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

17. stonec

stonec Registered

It's also worth pointing out that plugins, as far as I know, will not work with 64-bit executable unless they are modified. Which is another reason why many people might want to stick to 32-bit for a while in future.

18. Pntgrd

Pntgrd Registered

One thing that you are missing in this is that the 4GB addressing limit of the 32 bit limit ALSO includes the Ram on the video card. So if in your instance of 2.5 gig for the sim that will only leave 1.5 gig for any background processes (approx. a gig for the o/s itself), ALL L1 and L2 cache on the CPU, and then it starts addressing the ram on the video card. In todays world of 2 to 4 GB video cards, x64 is needed to take advantage of all the ram on the video card, as much as if the system itself carries more than 4 gig.

19. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

What are your computer specs Zach and what graphical settings are you running (e.g. resolution, AA) both in and outside (i.e. graphics card control panel) of rf2?

I think this will be more telling as to why your experiencing the generally low performance. However, be aware that the (road and enviroment) reflections are significant resource hogs on the graphics card. The last time i checked (2-3 builds ago) the performance drop was something like 10%/15% for road/enviroment reflections from high to low or 15%/35% for road/enviroment from high to off. I had a gtx 770 and run with enviroment reflections off (but the great thing about the enviroment reflections is that they are still on but only update the reflection map every 10-15 seconds....so you still get the nice reflections which is a nice compromise) but road reflections on high (because i can afford the performance loss on my spec and keeping it on high has a noticeable visual effect on the road surface look, not just in the wet which looks bloody gorgeous but also in the dry). The other settings make a difference also and these were the compromise settings for me that still gave great visuals (imo). My fps usually run in the 90-120 fps (120 being the max with adaptive vsync) and never dips below 60-ish fps when there's a large grid (20-30 cars) whenever looking at the entire grid at the start.

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2014
  20. Zach

Zach Registered

Okay, so there won't be any increase in performance. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for builds to come out?