Why call cars for mods?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Christian Rosén, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Christian Rosén

Christian Rosén Registered

Mod=modification isn't it? Of course it isnt a big issue, but none the less I am annoyed that the original cars from ISI and all other cars are called mods, why not call them cars? :confused: Tracks is called tracks and everything and anything else released is called by its name or function... ;)

2. smartin13

smartin13 Registered

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

why name the Orange after a colour?

4. Mika

Mika Registered

We used to call our "mods" add-ons because that's what they were.

5. yusupov

yusupov Registered

where do they do this? is it a language thing? from the site:

6. Major_Parts

Major_Parts Registered

bit OT but it's the other way round :)

7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Possibly not the best thing to get annoyed about but you do pose an interesting question non the less.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2014
  8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

excatly ;)

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

mods, rfmods, vmods, it is confusing. I've seen the folk of ISI get confused over it themselves when responding to peeps.

10. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

They calling the tracks mods too. I agree with the 1st post I've never understood it too. Why not call it like everyone else DLC, but stick the word 'Free' in front of it.

I guess Mod could be also short for the word 'Module' (I made that up just to keep me happy :p), which would make a little more sense.

11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It is definitely a very unfortunate word to describe something. I always hated this terminology. It's simply illogical. Cars for cars; tracks for tracks and series for series would be easier to understand

enviado mediante tapatalk

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

[​IMG] :confused:

;)

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I was just talking to someone about this the other day. I think the term "mod" comes from the old days before we had open platforms for custom content. For example EAF1. They were "F1" games and were never intended to have 3rd party content. So a mod was a modification to the original game. But today the term doesn't really apply. We aren't modifying anything anymore. But the term has sort of stuck around. A more appropriate name for an rfmod would have been rfpkg because it is really just a bunch of content packaged up. There is lots of confusing terminology that surrounds rF2.

vmod Vs rfmod when really they are both technically rfmods.
    The Core folder has a subfolder called Core. So when you tell someone to place a file in the Core, they are never sure if you meen Core\Core or just Core.
    GetMod is another one. GetMod is a two stage process. The first step is where the vmod is downloaded via the built in HTTP server and then the second part of GetMod is where it gets the missing content. It should have been called GetMod and GetCmp.

The list goes on and on. Hahaha.

14. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I think I know who that someone might have been :)

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Curiously ISI has not done anything to fix it and keeps using the same terminology.
    I hope that, at least, mod stays finally for series as it seems to be accepted by everybody now. For cars or vehicles any of both could be used. If the component is the vehicle they should maintain some kind of criteria and use all tracks and vehicles instead of all tracks and cars.

16. ViSo

ViSo Registered

I understand like this:
    Car: only 1 car (Clio Cup, Megane Trophy, etc ...) just one car, same physics.
    Mod: More than 1 car (F1, BES, SCES, etc ...) a package with more than 1 car, can be diferent bodys and/or diferent physics.

I can be wrong, but thats how I understand it.

17. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

You are missing the point... "MOD" comes from "modified", but if the new content has never been in the game but been created and added, it's not.

18. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Tell ISI that they are missing the point. The procedure for generating a mod is very clear: pick cars and tracks and build one. For modifications about one component we now have updates and versions. Whether something has been modified or not is not a factor today to be a mod. In its origins it was like that, for sure, but not anymore.
    Things have evolved and if todays accepted meaning of MOD is different than when it was first used it must be accepted. I just cant see ISI changing all their ingame terminology.

19. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Component = single car, track, UI etc. which can be installed to rF2 and used together with other already installed content.

Mod = package of many components, which can include several cars, tracks, or other components (like UI), which are designed to use together

vMod = similar package like Mod, but it do not include any physical components. This "virtual mod" is basically server side configuration file, which tells clients which components should be installed to rF2 before you can join server. In addition, if can offer automatic component download service for client side.

Did I get it right, Noel? ;)

Cheers!

20. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I'm talking about the terminology in general, sorry I didn't make that clear, you are right about ISI using it aswell, and honestly I don't think the use of the word is going to change :)