Get Mod very slow

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by zackspeed, Jun 9, 2014.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Steam downloads at my absolute max bandwidth, yeah they have millions of customers to fund it.

Point being I do not understand how you expect ISI to give you a service as Noel outlines costs $25 a year when they only charge $14 a year or less.

2. zackspeed

zackspeed Registered

@Noel
    Again and again: GetMod ist slow in that way i ll use it and it works (but slow).
    For me, no other way is intended to use this soft.
    If i cannot host the mod-files via GetMod directly (means, from the same location of the vmod) with normal or configured speed, there is no use of GetMod anymore. ISI should remove GetMod at all.

There are two good ways ISI should go:
    1. Let GetMod work well and not slow.
    2. Remove GetMod at all and return to rFactor 1 times.

This thread is so silly, because GetMod is a half backet software.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Half-baked. As in not fully baked, not fully ready. Think of eating a half baked cake.

Not sure if you realise you just said that because you don't want to use it the way ISI intends ISI should remove it. That's pretty much what you're getting upset at Noel about, but in reverse.

If they made it unthrottled by default the first thing I would do is change the setting back so it's throttled and keep hosting stuff externally, because although our server could handle the game and downloads at least for current demand it's not something I think is a good idea generally.

It makes some sense as a wishlist item, for experienced admin to have the option if they wish. It's not a technical issue because at this stage it's obviously by design. So that's why this is a silly thread - along with various misspellings of half baked.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

1. GetMod works well and exactly as intended.
    2. Why remove something that works for many people just fine. ?

You can't do it without:

1. Affecting online bandwidth

OR

2. Spending upgrading.

OR

3. Have user pays access to fast bandwidth and improved Getmod.

I do not want it or need it, I can quite easily find links to everything if I am patient.
    Leagues have weeks to arrange races and have meetings, set up shells or clouds.

ISI could be seen as facilitating access to no permission mods, payware or copyright material.
    Like if they won't post a track or mod on their site what makes ISI letting it be downloaded through them any better ? Because they can turn a blind eye ?

rF2 is the biggest sim anomaly to me, I can't understand why more people are simply not happy to make the best of it.

I guess league teams don't need to care about anyone else as long as they have their mod and season, I not being sarcastic just honest.

Unless we all concentrate on the positives we are going to continue to have a detrimental effect on growth.

People Like Empty Box doing countless videos nit picking rF2 is doing nothing for it.

5. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

brought to the point
    and
    I'm happy with noel's solution :D

6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Although I think the requested feature is useful, I completely agree and it is not very wise to remove something already working just because is not as fast as you would want or simply doesn't work as you expect.

enviado mediante tapatalk

7. zackspeed

zackspeed Registered

Yes, yes, you are right! GetMod ist not fully ready, there is a lack of speed. And ISI have to implement the parameter "HTTP Server Send Rate" so that it will really work.
    As you can get a bad stomach by eating 1/2-baked cakes as you can get a migraine by using GetMod the way i will use it.

GetMod is intended to serve all data by a vmod one needs for joining the server. But if you includes all data into the vmod (not redirected to another location), so GetMod is very slow. So far, so clear, so right.

And, Lazza: Whoever finds spelling errors may keep them.

8. zackspeed

zackspeed Registered

To remove GetMod would a step back, thats right.
    But they didnt really make a step forward. Its like a half-step forward by getting some extra work. And i hope they do the other half-step too.

For some of us (with no bandwith problems) this feature will be a very good solution, easy to use. And for all other, there will be no changes at all.

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

You can keep saying that all you want but that doesn't make it true. The built in server is really only intended for small files such as skins, vmods and one day virtual vehicles. "Content" is intended to be hosted on dedicated web hosts. Look at ISI's own public servers as how it was designed to work. The system works perfect as it is right now. Removing it would be a step backward not just a half a step backward. Take your tantrum somewhere else and stop spreading misinformation.

10. zackspeed

zackspeed Registered

@Noel
    The GetMod serves the whole content, but with slow speed.
    Thats the truth.
    ISI put the parameter "HTTP Server Send Rate" into the mulitplayer.ini.
    Thats the truth.
    But ISI restricted the HTTP Server speed to about 3000kbps. And let the parameter dont work.
    Thats the truth.
    Why they do this? I think, they are fear to get in problems with the race server bandwidth.
    But, but, but, but, but, ten thousand more buts, but there are race server in the world for normal users, which doesnt have bandwith problems.
    Thats also the truth.
    Nothing, really nothing speaks against to let the parameter "HTTP Server Send Rate" work, configured by the race server admins. Really, really, really, really nothing, never ever.
    Thats the truth.

And now to you, you implements a service (your soft) to make it possible to redirect the urls.
    I can understand that you defend your tool. Sure, who didnt do so? Your tool is neccessary.
    But your approach isnt the right one. Get to the roots of the problem and you get a good solution.
    If you dont do so, you got a 1/2-baked solution.
    Do it with a KISS: Keep it small and simple. Do it with: less is more.
    Not a mas2.exe, your tool, having a onther hostplace for the mods, doing some silly stuff to go run the system, looking for other things to be worked.... this all is a wrong approach.
    And you know this.

Why should i dont use the top two gears of my Porsche? I am on a free highway.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Bandwidth and potential issues (even if you wouldn't get any on your server) is one thing.

The other is you don't want to force people to download a component multiple times because it's part of this all-inclusive vmod, and that other all-inclusive vmod. And despite what you keep saying the game won't let you do them separately as part of the built in GetMod, will it? So it's not quite the way you're describing it.

Obviously when I say "you don't want" I mean in general people wouldn't want to serve components that way, and in general people wouldn't want to download those components multiple times in that way. I'm sure you, specifically, are fine with it.

12. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

don't feed the troll

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Seriously. I know there is a language barrier but surly he is comprehending what I am saying when I say it isn't intended to serv content. Yes you technically can serv content with it, but that isn't the intended use. I think he just wants to argue to argue. Days of arguing. By now he could have learned the proper way to serv content. It's really quite simple. And it isn't "my" approach as he calls it. It's ISI's approach.

14. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Noel I see it as you and Lazza :) unfortunately it seems I'm sometime a little bit to
    inpatient :p .
    It is not my intention do disturb your discussion.

15. Piertaylor

Piertaylor Registered

I'm using Noel's Getmod tool and it works fine. But download speed is very very low even if I use Dropbox for hosting all mods and components.
    I need to share the whole mod (1gb) through getmod service but it is impossible due to the poor dl speed. Is there any solution for this? I can't undertand why I have to dl the mod/track from a server and the vmod from getmod! No sense for me.
    I hope you can help me to find a solution for this issue.
    Thanks. ;)

16. stonec

stonec Registered

The vmod is just a small few kilobytes file which is always downloaded directly from the race server. It's a very bad idea to share the whole mod from race server, getmod is actually bandwidth limited so that people who race on the server wouldn't get lag issues when others are downloading.

Anyway, if you share with dropbox and Noel's tool it should download at the same speed as from your browser dropbox link. If not, something is wrong, because it's directly using that dropbox link the same way as in your browser.

17. Jancsi

Jancsi Registered

We used to have a server in one of our members' house and the files would download much faster.

Now we've moved to NRT servers and the downloads take considerably much longer. Is there a port or firewall setting we should be looking at to improve this?

We host the files in Dropbox.

Thanks!

18. Louis

Louis Registered

almost never can go online
    Most servers get the message "Package not available". Don´t know if it was because of the servers or in my side

19. AceLain

AceLain Registered

Mean you don't have all the component and they are not avalaible to download I think...
    Happen to me when I had not the soudfile.rfcmp of the URD mod

Louis likes this.
  20. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

When you get message "Package not available" vmod is downloaded. You can open Mod Manager (Bin32 folder) and look which components are missing from vmod you downloaded and google download/install missing components.

It can also be wise to bookmark servers which has working Get Mod to make it easy to find public races which are hosted by serious people and not from the peeps who shuts down the server when they go to bed.:confused:

AceLain and Louis like this.