Get Mod very slow

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by zackspeed, Jun 9, 2014.

1. zackspeed

zackspeed Registered

Its so simple to explain:

1. getmod includes a HTTP-Server.
    2. getmod slows down the speed of downloading a whole mod (1 packet with i.e. 600 MB) (look at the mas2.exe, if you dont know what i mean)
    3. getmod gives you normal (high) speed if you 'redirect' the URLs of the mod (using Noels soft).
    4. the 'redirected' URLs can be point to the same root (physical machine).

So, thats a half backet solution. That easy.

Not we do a wrong thing, its the getmod.

Maybe there is no need for this not really working getmod-stuff and we can find another way to serve the mods.
    So ISI can easly remove this getmod-stuff at all.
    It would be a great job, i think. rFactor 1 hasnt this problem. Why rFactor 2 should have this problem? Its a step backward.

Or the other way round:
    Let this line inside the mulitplayer.ini work.
    "HTTP Server Send Rate="-1" // EXPERIMENTAL Data rate (kilo bits per second) at which internal HTTP Server will delivery content"
    It seems ISI self are experimentated with the Bandwith, so let this parameter work well and all will be fine.
    Every serveradmin can handle the bandwith by himself due to the root he has.
    You wont find a better solution.

2. crz

crz Registered

I agree that it is half baked, the stuff Noel did should have been provided by ISI. They didn't probably because they want this feature to be more finished. That is what we have now and despite the bit of extra inital work it is working perfectly once set up. The included http server was only intended to host the small vmods.

What I don't get is why people want to go back to where we came from or use the internal http server as content delivery. I am glad ISI adressed automatic content download, it just needs to be polished but the basics are there. It is in a usable state now without extra costs or any other major downside, why not use it until ISI has finished polishing this feature?

3. zackspeed

zackspeed Registered

No, thats not wrong to have getmod working well and working with speed. Why? There is no problem.
    Getmod do servers all content already from the race-server! (do you read this?) But only with 3000 kpbs. Thats not ok. The serveradmins should be get a working "HTTP Server Send Rate" and all will be fine.

And: Why shouldnt i use the top two gears of my Porsche? I'm on a free highway!

4. crz

crz Registered

It is wrong, the built in http server is not intended to serve content, only the vmod. It is like using a fork to eat soup, possible yes but not very likely a nice experience. If you use the tools right that are available now you will get a good rersult. Why do you insist to use the built in http server?

5. zackspeed

zackspeed Registered

Hi crz,

you didnt read my text.
    I wrote: Getmod do servers all content already from the race-server.
    The software does it already.
    No one can wipe this away.
    And nothing more is to tell.

And you ignore the underlying truth: Why shouldnt i use the top two gears of my Porsche? I'm on a free highway!

6. crz

crz Registered

Yes I know that already, hence my rants why people do this. Did you miss that in my posts or maybe I don't get what you mean? That is what I did too before I knew how to set up get missing components. Inserting all content in the vmod, slow download speed and duplicate downloads if you use the same track with another car and so on. Just because it is possible to do it doesn't make it the right tool for the job. If people use it the way it is not intended, I call this wrong usage.

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

But why do you care so much if we use the available resources that we are paying for in our porsche servers????
    We already know getmod is thought for blablabla... Thats precisely what we would like to change. It should be thought to use all the bandwidth we would like to set it too. It we have lag it is OUR problem. Whoever wnats to set it to 5KB/s to avoid any impact in his server is free to do it (which might be done during races to avoid problems). However we would like to set it to 1MB/s or so which should be good enough for most of our downloads.
    enviado mediante tapatalk

8. zackspeed

zackspeed Registered

You download or upload a mod (all components) on the race server.
    You install this mod (all components) on the race server.
    You host this mod (all components) on the race server.
    But getmod wont serve all components form the race server? Here is the wrong turn. You see? Not?
    You are right, it really serves all components from the race server. But, but, but, but, but, but with slow motion. And thats the really wrong turn. A half backet software. That easy.

How often i have to say such generally knowing things?
    How long must i sing this song? How long....

9. crz

crz Registered

I care because I got the impression you want to serve content from your server but the only way you see doing this is including it in the vmod. That is why I said just let get missing components redirect downloads to your server and you will get exactly that, serve content from the server you already own but without the bandwidth cap. It was just a suggestion how to solve your issue until ISI came up with an improved system. I don't want to convert you, I just got a little pissed because new people reading your posts can get the impression automatic content delivery is capped to the internal http servers bandwidth which it isn't.

10. crz

crz Registered

It already is possible to use get missing components to get the content from the race server if you want to. Who said it isn't? Without the bandwidth cap with all the speed you want to. The key is to use it properly. Just install your own http server on the race server and don't include content in the vmod. Please read my previous posts where I described what I did to achieve that or better, read Noels posts because he described it in a lot more detail. It is getting a bit repetitive now.

11. zackspeed

zackspeed Registered

Ou, i wouldnt write such words.

I will/would force ISI to make getmod working normal, means with speed. In my opinion the only normal way to get a getmod work well.
    If ISI wont do us such a really pleasure and we ALL have to use Noels software, i will look for another solution.
    If we ALL need to use mediafire or to setup an ISS on our roots, i will do it, but than i dont need getmod anymore. For this scenario getmod will be useless.

12. crz

crz Registered

Why do you think it is useless? It still has to serve the vmod which is neccessary right now. I think I saw Tim posting of a possible change on vmods, maybe there will be a better solution in the future. But until then Noels solution does the same thing for the user. Click on join, get missing components and rf2 downloads all missing components. Only thing an admin has to do is installing a http server which is pretty trivial thing with lots of tutorials out there.

I'm not interested in arguing for the sake of arguing, I think I could understand your point better if you tell me why you don't want to use Noels solution.

13. zackspeed

zackspeed Registered

Why i think the getmod is useless? Ähm, lol, yes sure, of course....
    I dont need the getmod, if i get forced to install an IIS on the root, or buy a mediafire space, or need to host the mods on our forum...
    So, i think, there is nothing more to say as USELESS for the getmod. That easy.
    The getmod-stuff is useless, if it doesnt serve all components of a mod with an normal speed. So: useless. That easy.

rFactor 1 goes without any getmod very well. So remove this getmod-stuff from rFactor 2, and all will be fine. But thats a wrong way.
    The right way is to implement getmod more power and serve all components with speed. Again: That easy. That would be the right way.

14. crz

crz Registered

That would be OK, I don't mind if the built in server gets faster, but not with the current state of the packaging system. I am concerned if this will encourage more people to include all content in the vmod because it is easier to set up. In the current state this would lead to multiple downloads of the same tracks and cars. In a league you could agree to exclude the car to avoid downloading it multiple times but what if people join mid season? Downloading manually again? Joining a public server would require downloading the content regardless if you have it already installed or not. That is not only a waste but it will keep people with slow connections from joining the server.

If ISI comes up with a way to avoid those duplicates I would agree with you. Otherwise it will get very messy. Until that happens one can choose to use tools which handle the duplicate downloads and serve components as fast as you want. If an additional http server keeps you from enjoying the benefit of that system then so be it, I just don't get why. Let's just hope we will see a revised system someday and our discussion will be irrelevant :)

15. zackspeed

zackspeed Registered

crz, please back to topic.

Topic is: Get Mod very slow.

16. crz

crz Registered

The things I wrote about are possible consequences if you just increase the internal http servers speed... and as you said the internal http servers speed is the topic.

What will happen if they just increase the internal http server speed? People will use content filled vmods and your package directory will be full of duplicate cars and tracks within content filled vmods.

Not sure what you are on about trying to silent me, a nicer way to back your request would be to provide a solution to the duplicates content filled vmods will cause. Then it would make sense. This is getting a bit silly even for me and we expressed we are disagreeing more than clear now, I give up.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2014
  17. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I think all posts are into topic and they are didactic.

I also clarify, just in case, that I register components against our server's URL. In vmods we only include content for updates to components when a change is required for whatever reason.

We are hosting a race every two weekz. The 24 inscribed drivers gradually download content as they train for the race. Some do it the first day. Others, the day before the race. The biggest problem we might have is some lag while we are training. That probably can also happen when people make use of web downloads at the same time.

enviado mediante tapatalk

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Your talking about speed again. External links aren't throttled. I thought I proved that very clearly in my video.

19. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

You are absolutely right. External links aren't impacted at all by QoS. The internal http server does ad this is why it isn't intended to be used for anything more than vmods and skins. ISI allowed full content mods to be hosted internally before external links were implemented. Now that external links are allowed they really should disable the ability to host full content rfmods. It's improper use at this stage of the game.

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

You posts are misleading people though. GetMod is a two stage process. The first stage is for the vmod which is a microscopic little file that has download URLs to the individual components. The second stage is where it lists all the components that you are missing and gives you the option to download them from the links that are provided in the vmod.You are ONLY speed limited if URLs you link to are slow.
    Stage 1 should keep the name GetMod because it's really just downloading an rfmod. The second stage really should be referred to as GetCmp because it is downloading the actual components. So yes, GetMod (stage 1) is slow but GetCmp (stage 2) is not.

FYI, HTTP://serverip:httpport/private/somecompobent.rfcmp will download anything that is in you packages folder. So if you were super stubborn and want to use a very lightweight http server to do heavy work then you could point GetMod URLs to that. But you will be severely capped. ISI could probably open up the QoS parameters but why waste time on a lightweight server. It's like trying to use MSPaint to run a full gfx studio. Should MS remove paint from windows because it is have backed? Duh. Should Paint.Net be banned because it is half backed.

This thread is so silly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014