Cockpit view

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ruudjuh, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Ruudjuh

Ruudjuh Registered

Is it possible to get this for a cockpit view? The shaking and immersion I mean...

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

It would take awhile to perfect things but yes, rF2 is highly customisable in that regard. You could probably mix the cockpit vibration with the real head motion plugin to achieve something close. IMO anyway.

3. yusupov

yusupov Registered

you could also get a servo wheel & it'd probably feel like that enough that you wouldn't need it to look like it as well.

4. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Adjust the plr file entries affecting vibration, and use headtracking such as TrackIR and you will get pretty close. I also use a bass-shaker setup so that my chair, steering wheel and shifter vibrate according to the road surface, engine rpm etc

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

also press home key on-track, it gives multiple camera angles, they are mod dependant. some mods have that cam.

6. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Be careful, there is this shake because it's a camera. Your brain stabilises the picture, in real life, you haven't this shaking.

I've set my view like this, try it i think this change could please you ;)

Setting to put in your player.plr :

Look Up/Down Angle="1.00000" // Angle to look up/down (pitch) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Leanahead Angle="0.25000" // Angle to lean head (roll) w/ steering in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Look Roll Angle="1.00000" // Angle to lean head (roll) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Glance Angle="1.00000" // Angle to look left/right (yaw) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Lookahead Angle="0.20000" // Angle to lookahead (yaw) w/ steering in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Head Physics="1.00000" // Fraction of head physics movement applied to cockpit view (position AND rotation)
    Head Rotation="0.50000" // Additional head physics multiplier affecting rotation only
    Exaggerate Yaw="0.64000" // tourne le regard dans le sens de la rotation du volant, idéal pour viser le point de corde
    Overlay Height="0.04000" // Distance from geometry to help sort drawing skids and grooves

7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

whats with the head roll?

Real life drivers want to keep their heads straight, no?

8. Ruudjuh

Ruudjuh Registered

This is great, thank you!

9. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Cool mate, I find this a really good set for a good immersion, and it's good to for footage ;)

Yes you're right in theory, but in fact, due to lateral G-forces, drivers need to roll a bit their heads (see first video);)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2014
  10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

That's the thing, I actually don't see any head rolling in the first video, but I can see how it can appear as if so because the camera is by default off center. Even if there were some (which I cant see) its not remotely as agressive as the one shown ingame above.

Furthermore, I recall someone saying that Nigel Mansell made a comment back in the day that he purposely taped the top of his visor to force himself to fight against the gforce and keep his head straight in the corners or else the tape would block/hinder his field of view.

I noticed when i first tried karting, where I used to tilt my head into corners (which is also a sign of laziness or unfitness after a longish stint) and my perception about how the kart was handling/taking the corner would get all muddled up. Its sort of like watching a movie whilst lying sidewards, it's a distorted experience. This was in part due to the visual distortion but also a gforce sensing distortion of the vestibular system because the lateral gforces from cornering would instead be registering more in the direction of gravity (the more I tilted my head). This isn't handy when (at least in real life) your relying on your senses for true and accurate changes in lateral forces.

In sim racing, this isn't exactly a factor ofc because we don't physically experience gforces but that doesn't negate the visual distortion from a tilted head whilst taking a corner.

As an extreme example in support of this, I've never seen a formula one team (or any other professional racing teams or professional racing simulator centers) simulator coupled with any head rolling/gforce simulation (perhaps even without any type of head bobbing/motion at all), even on the non motion platform types.

11. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Yes, and why he use this gimmick ?
    Because your head rolls during corner and it's extremely difficult to stay straight.
    Also, you need to roll a bit because a race is stressful for neck muscles, roll a bit helps to relieve it. Like you see in set the roll effect is light ;)

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Sorry for late reply, went for a dip. :p

Right, but consider that Mansell put tape along the top of his visor so that his view would be blocked if his head tilts/rolls away from straight and level whilst cornering for the entire race(s). In this situation, he has prohibited himself to allow for "a bit of roll" , regardless of fitness excuses (which is arguable dangerous, lol). (I suppose there's also the issue of what you consider as being "a bit of roll" possibly being different to mine, i would'nt consider the amount of head roll your using to be "little" at all).

Also, i wouldn't call it a gimmick but a training tool (as it served a very real purpose), one that he used to force himself to keep his head level by having no choice but to fight the lateral forces.

Neck muscles are one of if not the most important muscle groups for F1 drivers (and any other high lateral force racing).

Also, considering how little room there is for head tilt/roll, rolling into the corners will do little to relieve/reduce the extreme forces placed on the neck muscle.

[​IMG]

There is ofc still going to be some small amount of head roll naturally (as the driver fights and modulates his counter roll to the changing lateral forces). Also see how the driver (Kovalainen in this video) turning his head into the corners can appear like head roll.

Lastly, whatever the amount of head roll that occurs due to driving in real life is something that is fought against and completely undesirable (and allowing head roll has a negative impact on your performance due to visual distortion and in real life force sensing distortion) but is a byproduct of the desirable effects from lateral g-force (and thus feedback to the driver about the car handling/behavour) whilst cornering. Since simulators (already) don't provide us with this g-force sensation, why then add the (already) undesirable head rolling? This is also why i think professional simulators do not have any head movement at all.

13. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

I'm agree for F1, drivers have lot of training, good materials etc...
    But for GT's or skip barber that is not unrealistic.
    But you can change only this parameter if you want, without impact on appex sighting or shaking effect ;)

14. Balles

Balles Registered

Gravitom G6 simulates head motion.

15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Sorry GaetanL, I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Can you explain what you mean further please.

Very nice and thank you for sharing ;) but it technically simulates head forces/g-forces, motion simulator would imply positional and/or velocity targets which is not how force feedback works. It's a subtle difference but a crucial one.

16. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Sorry my fault, I've a bad level of english. :eek:

I try to say, F1 drivers are drivers that struggle the most efficacement against this effect.
    And I'm totally agree with you, all drivers try to keep their heads as straight as possible.
    But that is extremely hard and finally drivers have always a little roll effect (less for F1's drivers more for amateurs).

After I don't understand why you don't want simulate the rendering of this inconvenient ? Like you say, we don't have G-Forces on our heads, but our virtual heads have it.

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Firstly, your english is inifnitely better than my french and you have nothing to apologise for. ;)

ok, i think i understand what you mean now.

The reason is simple, (any amount) of head roll is a by-product of the lateral g-forces a real driver feels in the corners. The g-force sensations (that come from your sense of balance from the vestibular system in the inner ear) is a huge asset to the driver in the form of positive feedback (that tells them how car is handling/behaving and in determining how close they are to the limit of traction by feeling how much lateral force is occuring), however head roll (if allowed to occur) is a form of negative feedback. Why is it negative? Because in real life if you allow excessive headroll to occur, it starts to negatively impact your g-force feedback because a tilted head changes the vestibular systems (what gives us our sense of balance) frame of reference. Take the extreme case scenario by imagining that you tilted you head 90 degrees when going around corners. All lateral cornering forces are sensed to be occuring in the gravitational direction/axis in our heads frame of reference when the head is tilted 90 degrees, when in reality the cornering forces are occuring laterally/perpendicular to the gravitational direction/axis of the cars frame of reference. For real drivers, this is the crucial reason for wanting to keep their heads straight.

The second reason (which applies to both real and virtual racing) is that a tilted view affects your visual frame of reference. The entire image is tilted which alone is a good reason to not want this. But you can take this into the finer details of why you wouldn't want this. Such as, seeing the car change in roll relative to the ground is a form of feedback and if your head is changing in roll throughout the corner then you won't notice these forms of feedback as well (if at all)....there's a saying "the devil's in the detail". There are many other types of visual feedback details that are then lost when the head rolls in this fashion.

Lastly, i question whether visual roll (if we ignore all the above negatives of it) is a good substitute for the g-force feedback. There's a reason why you don't find racing simulators with much (if any) head roll and when taken to the extreme cases, professional racing simulator centers and teams use absolutely no head motion at all (in both their motion platform and static rigs).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2014
  18. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

OK I understand your point of view, have lot of sense ;)

However (its a personal feeling of course), I prefer to have this "roll effect", I 'm feel better with it. When I play this roll effect make to me to move my head in same time (that is a joke for my wife because she don't understand why my head "roll" when I race - I think is surely strange to see for other :p). On second thoughts this gimmick forces me to have the same behavior for my head movements and it's for that I feel fine with.

19. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Ok, that's fair enough. If you enjoy it more like that then ok. ;)

I'd be interested in knowing how it affects your performance with this head roll though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2014
  20. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Hummm, hard to say.

I can't play without now, sure. I'm more regular, clearly (better sensations). Try it for a while. During two or three weeks I think that is enough to have a good overview ;)