Tire temperature buildup not real world

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by APEXerI, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Forgive me for a second, I'm going to make this quick... so I read your blah blah blah, let me try to state this quite clearly.

At a particular speed and load a tyre will have a temperature where equilibrium is reached. The heat being generated is equal to the heat being lost: the temperature is constant.

This will obviously tend to be lower on a straight (less heating, more cooling) and higher in a corner (more heating, less cooling).

If, at any particular moment, the current temperature is above the equilibrium point, the temperature will drop. If it's below, the temperature will rise.

I don't have any qualifications. I don't know much about tyres. I do understand that a system will balance, a tyre in a straight line won't cool down to absolute zero and won't heat up to melting point either then or in a corner. Someone's asking why tyres are heating up on straights in comparision to IR images when we don't know what the corner temperatures are, what the temperature is going to in a straight line, the forces being applied to the tyre, the typical temperature response of that particular tyre, the actual temperatures represented by the colours in the IR image that are being used as a comparison.

Again: if the tyres are cold in the corners, they will heat up in the straights. And the opposite is also true. It really shouldn't be that hard, and there's no point trying to cure cancer or compare e-penises when there are basically no actual facts or figures to argue about.

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

You described very well lazza.

enviado mediante tapatalk

3. speed1

speed1 Banned

To many factors to consider when analyzing things like this, and the main problem here is to know nothing about details, such as setup, IR sensors scale etc., of both cars, followed by a non finished tire model but what i try to say above was that rf2 is doing it right when the starting temp is lower than the friction on straight generates heat. The main reaon for this are extrem negative camber values causing the wheels to run to the outside and not beeing static. It is not that for example the camber does nothing to the dynamics, actually apart from toe it is the opposite, the friction on the inner edge increases with speed and load first on straights with such a setup. The opposite it was if camber and everything else was neutral and the wheels would free run without much rolling resistance generating high friction, the tires wouldn't heat up that fast or just for a part just by rolling straight because the distribution of heat is more balanced on the whole (unloaded) tire by using a greater patch area.

This is for sure one of the main reason why many people doing wrong when setup a car, and not just sim driver, the most setups i've seen are faulty by standard. People simply don't know about the dynamics and kinematic influence.

4. APEXerI

APEXerI Registered

Spaskis and Jamie

thanks for your comments. The problem I was describing is that after a few laps when the tire were up to "normal" temperature, it appeared that the tire were hotter at the end of the straights then at the start. In one of my posts, I mentioned that I has set toe-in/out and aero to the very minimum in an attempt to remove those variables from the equation. The problem seems to be with the F1 car because with the F2 EVE in F3 Fanatics the tire temps go down on the straights as one would expect

5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

As I said, after initial tyre warmup, it is not likely that the on-straight tyre equilibrium temperarure is higher than the on-curve tyre equilbrium temperature. Therefore, under "normal" driving conditions tyres would want to cool down in straights.
    The OP has clearly explained that with other mods in those same curve - straight combos tyres cool down, while with the F1 they warmup. Considering this, the tyre model for the F1 vehicle component the OP is using, is most likely incorrect. Or that, or the setup is pretty crappy.
    With the provided data it is not easy to address if the problem is due to excessive heating or due to insufficient cooling but I have rhe feeling that it is the second for things like tyres overheating more in heavy rain than with dry road.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

But no doubt if he scrubbed the crap out of the tyres in the corners they would get hotter, and then cool down on the straights. It's all relative and we have no figures to actually judge it on.

I know the tyres don't work right, and balancing wets and drys is difficult, and wet tarmac doesn't have the proper effect, etc etc. But this whole thread is like drawing a graph with only one axis labelled, and saying, "Does that look right to you?"

7. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

My last post in this thread:

I do know in the Indy car the tires will start to warm up on the straights at around 270km/hr (give or take can't remember exact number at the moment) because DF really starts to load the tires. Like Marc says, way too much simplification going on here and remember fellas, there are always exceptions to almost any rule. If the OP wants to do an experiment if he chooses not to look at motec data. He can run this particular car he's talking about with minimum wing and the highest allowed ride height. He'll probably see different results. Of course in the end it could be just a poor mod, I don't know since I've never heard of it.

8. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

So Jamie, this is where you been hiding from ARAIG. Going to spot Andy on ya. Its Aaron.

I've seen the IR camera on those cars, does it tell tire temp as well? Example whats red and whats blue?

9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I am getting tired of your argument. The Op is clearly stating that is something particular of a vehicle and that it does not happen with similar cars in the same circumstances. If for you is not clear enough amd you need more info from the Op, ask for it.

You are basing all your speech in hypothetical situations. You are literally dismissing the OP that might have a point and is claiming for a bug. There is the possibility that he is RIGHT.

You are, for the same reason, discrediting also my opinion although in my job I need to betatest the simulation software which also has bugs because it is in development as well. The clue for many of these bugs is because you see an inconsistency or discrepancy with reality. If my moulds get hot when they are not in contact with glass, it is an error yes or yes.

Do we need more info also to say that cooling model in rain is crappy at least with the civics because all the people in our league made wet tyres last longer under dry conditions than under wet? Or could it could be something particular in the way of driving of all people in my league? The reason for this high wear is temperature building up higher. Could it happen that air cools tyres more than water?

It seems quite clear that in some ISI components there are error although it is hard to admit for some...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
  10. TechAde

TechAde Registered

A 2013 F1 car and an 1960s F2 car are similar? One will be heavily loading the tyres at the end of a long straight thanks to the _huge_ amount of downforce, one won't. As has been pointed out it could be the tyre load due to downforce that is causing the increase in tyre temperature at the end of a long straight.

As has also been pointed out it's impossible to draw conclusions given the lack of data that has been shared. Were the tyres cooling earlier in the straight then started to warm up as speed and therefore downforce increased? We simply don't know.

11. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Hey Aaron! No, the camera doesn't tell temperature at all. :)

12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Obviously I messed with modern F2. I pm'ed the OP to do the try with those.