AI = Probably the best in the world…

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by msportdan, Jun 4, 2014.

1. msportdan

msportdan Banned

...probably?

I see many a thread on here and not a whole lot of praise going on … I know we here to report problems and stuff i have nothing against that.

But i would like to go out on a limb and say what a great job the Devs have done on the AI. I play mainly offline and for years I've been very judgemental on the AI side of sims. For once in my sim career i can say the AI are the best I've played in a sim so far.

Last night played for hours with the EGT bayro at lock?! (can't remember track name lol) but the AI are so good there i was only playing at 90% too. I was having battles with numerous AI, their race craft is unlike anything I've come across in a video game !! Some of the manoeuvres they pull, just surprised me. And amongst that, not a lot of unfairness by the AI either. I just sat there and restarted race after race, the AI never got dull or boring.

i Was impressed...

Just want to say to ISI….

THANK YOU

for making my hopes for a challenging AI a reality.

Well done and keep up the good work…
    Cheers

2. floreacalin

floreacalin Registered

Yeah i think that too, amazing ai, on the isi tracks, but on the other mod tracks, ai is awefull like any other sim with mod tracks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

3. tjc

tjc Registered

"Loch" Drummond... ;)

4. floreacalin

floreacalin Registered

Yeah isi track, ai would be awesome

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

5. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Yep, agree.

I have been pushed a little at Sebring, but okay I'm quite slow there still. Other than that, they race clean, they provide a challenge, and most impressive to me is that slower AI doesn't exhibit all the weird traits of AI in other sims. For example Codemasters F1 you could literally see them purposely going slow around specific corners. Here, slower is just slower. Believable at any speed from 80 to 120%.

And it seems to me since using "Virtual Rides" as opponents, which creates new standard-value RCD files, they are also more prone to error, in a believable way. Going wide, hitting a bareer or occasionally spinning out.

6. Minibull

Minibull Member

Bloody Irish names eh...:p

7. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

that's right, AI is astonishing, i like the way it's on the limit under braking especially in a turn, they brake to the max until the car is a bit unsettled and a little understeer happen, the way they (or it) litteraly jump in the inside if i'm to slow, amazing, and not many wheels banging , i had many wheel to wheel and it was very clean like racing against raikkonen for exemple, you're right the programmers must be praised for that !!
    There have been some moments where it was silly but exactly like it happens sometimes with a human even me :D .
    In fact i wouldn't like it to be perfect it would be boring, some weird aggressiveness is needed
    Maybe it's my imagination but you can trigger a protection move to the inside by going to a side like in real life when you show in the mirror, then it moves slightly or not, it doesn't seems to be "robotic" then you can pass to the outside, great moment ! Eventually if it's not possible because you have triggered a later braking on a less smooth path the AI has no choice but to go a little wide and then you can jump inside after trying outside, nice!
    THis is what i do in the end of hangar straight in silverstone. It's specially great with the ISI version of the track with some unforgiving well placed bump when you turn in

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It is indeed great....but it can become greater!

9. msportdan

msportdan Banned

Chuck yes..!

i Forgot to mention how they actually know how to defend a corner. The ai are very believable..

again ISI, WELL DONE!!!!

@marc yes it would be nice to have ai difficulty set per track.

10. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Yep +1 for AI Strength set per tracks. As it depend of the modder work, AI fluctuate a lot depending each tracks (E.g. for me set to 107% at Brianza, 97% at Croft, 100 at Le Mans, etc.).

Saying that, I will not refuse more different "personalities" for each AI drivers, linking the fullname to his behavior to allow the user to remember this or this AI guy: this one is more aggressive and make mistake, this one is slow, this one defend too much his position so be careful when overtake, this one wait for last laps to push at maximum, etc. I don't think this is the case already?

Edit: and Yes, that's the best set of AI I drove against, great work ISI! :)

11. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

The A.I with the Formula 2 cars is really impressive. I'd like to have all the AI set up like it is with those cars.

12. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Yolo, part of what you descripe could already be done in the .RCD talent files. Different speed for quali and race, different wet speed, agression, clean driving, amount of errors... can be set per driver.

13. pemigris

pemigris Registered

+1 great and fair AI (way better than the iRacing own AI ;-) )

14. pitkin

pitkin Registered

+1. Finally driving against some AI that is a match for, or even exceeds GP4.
    I agree with others on the ability to adjust it for each track. Nevertheless, it's fun driving against them :)

15. phil23

phil23 Registered

I have not really played rF2 for ages, but the last couple of weeks I've spent more and more time with it and the one thing that has truly impressed me has been the Ai!!! :).

It has blown away rF1's and even makes Assetto Corsa's seem pretty poor (though that's in it's infancy).

It's taken a long time, but I'm now feeling like my money wasn't wasted with rf2 and it's features are constantly impressing me the more I play :).

16. Thepharcyde

Thepharcyde Registered

It's in Scotland you Aussi :p

17. peterchen

peterchen Registered

+1 Best AI so far!

-Term: adjusting AI track-wise:
    The modder have to do the AIW-line right.(as already said)
    That´s not everytime so easy.
    Maybe ISI should add a program to the AIW-editor which computes the perfect line automaticly!?
    But I must say that MOST modders don´t take enough care in this regard.
    Beside this,- the AI IS already adjustable track wise (since pre- rF1), bad thing is
    you have to repack the track.
    I recommend to do one installation for offline and a second one for online-driving.

Second-best thing about rF2 AI is, that it is fully adjustable to ones liking (with a little knowledge)!
    It is worth it to play around with the settings that the .PLR offers!

The coolest thing, that puts a smile on my face is the human-like behavior that the AI shows, in doing
    unpredictable things like divebombing etc.!!

Yeah, it´s already very good, but I have nothing against it if ISI works further on this subject!

What´s about slipstreaming and overtaking of AI against each other?
    Is this good now?
    Can´t really tell ´cause I do no F1 (for now) where this effect is most essential.
    With F2 it seems not to be where I wish it would right now.

18. Pablo S

Pablo S Registered

Having played "all" the other sims (and many of the so called 'simcades'), rF2's AI blows all of them out of the water. Add to that some top-notch physics and FFB, and there's not much else to mull over, offline-wise.

19. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

But why would they have Irish names in Scotland??? :confused:

Lol, Just kidding :p

And more on-topic: I really enjoy the AI as well, it is really challenging to race them. In most sims and/or games the AI are SOOOOOO prodictable. And here when they are defending they sometimes go way to the inside, sometimes not, sometimes a bit. You just don't know what to expect, and have to really look what they are doing instead of just dive-bombing down the inside 'cause they will give space anyway'. And also when you are in front, they can overtake nicely (most of the times), and you really have to check the mirrors. It's awesome

DISCLAIMER: the joke on top probably sounded better in my head, then it does typed here :p

20. Minibull

Minibull Member

Ooohhh, owwwww, feel that burn... XD

On topic...I feel the same way as most here, I really like the AI. They will always have glitches and small issues, but I do have many many great races with them. They block well, they can be decently aggressive, go for gaps, try to outbrake you, etc. I had some of the FR3.5 cars at Silverstone swapping lines down the straights, seemingly trying to shake me slipstreaming. Whats more, occasionally, I see them do stupid things, or get things just slightly wrong and they spin out and cause a crash, just like a real driver would.
    I had one car try and lunge up the inside of me, right on the inside edge of the track. In the replay, I saw him just start to drop his tyres off the track. He locked up, and had to let off the brakes, so he was going even faster into the corner, and then when getting back on the track, the bump from the track edge lifted the front of his car slightly and stuffed all his trail braking up, so he went running off. It was orrsuumm.