Build 660 + Catalyst 14.4 flickering problem with ATI 6870 crossfire

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Rantam, May 28, 2014.

1. Rantam

Rantam Registered

Hi,

I've been reading around but so far I haven't found nothing similar to this, so here goes the issue I'm having since I installed AMD Catalyst 14.4 drivers:

As you see in the video the problem seems to be related to lightning (you'll see some objects/textures don't seem to be affected by it). Depending on the track, sun position, etc. the frequency of the flickering changes, and in some cases it even disappears completely (despite sadly this doesn't occurs very often). No need to say this makes this sim unplayable for me at this moment.

I've got a couple of ATI 6870 cars in crossfire mode.

I've tried enabling and disabling HDR and many other graphic enhancements without any luck. I've also tried changing settings in the Catalyst control centre but i got the same result.

Any ideas?

2. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

run without crossfire to determine if it's related

3. Andregee

Andregee Registered

try 14.6

4. Rantam

Rantam Registered

The problem is related to crossfire, as it doesn't appear when such feature is disabled.

14.6 drivers don't solve the problem.

Regards

5. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello

You should check to make sure but I thought the AMD 14 drives are for the 7000 series and up ?

Ruben

6. bwana

bwana Registered

14.4 certainly helped with my 5700 series,

7. speed1

speed1 Banned

That looks like an Eyefinity issue like i had a similar experience with the current 14.6 beta. The most worst case scenario i ever had with a driver installation.

The last couple of drivers seem to have a general problem with eyefinity and some sort of wire like the DP to DVI converter as example because after installing the 14.6 and even 14.4 i had issues to get it working right from the start, but the 14.6 generated an massive flickering eve on windows desktop which looked like a GPU defekt and i even couldn't see the desktop elements. The 14.4 i get working after some klicks here and there but the 14.6 is faulty and doesn't handle eyefinity right, no matter if switching the monitor wires. Single and double screen configs are working fine but triple doesn't.

Perhaps it is something similar to yours.

8. Rantam

Rantam Registered

Yep, looks like an Eyefinity related problem. Hope it will be fixed soon.

Ps. 14.4 drivers meant a huge improvement in rF2 performance for my GPUs also.

9. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

thought it would be related to crossfire, have issue with sli myself, which has been working brilliantly in previous builds to ISI's credit, not too upset though as single card performance is superb for me and I am not rocking the latest and greatest wallet emptying cards.

Sadly, the only real solution comes down to how much you love/like and use rF2.

I hate saying it, and don't want to upset ati owners, but nVidia cards work so much better and you should think about switching, and I won't even go into driver quality as those issues are widely know here already.

10. speed1

speed1 Banned

Just to share my current experience about the 14.6

I managed to get the 14.6 to work but it requires the detection of the monitors by the start of the CCC automatically and not only when the user requests it as it is set by standard.

However, there are still little problems with the power profiles as for example when the screens are switched off, it can happen again that eyefinity is not working properly by reactivating and it requires a CCC start to get back the configuration by automatically monitor detection.

A performance difference between the 14.4 and 14.6 doesn't exist for me.

To be honest this driver thing regardless of whether NV or AMD, because I had both already, sucks for ages and I've never experienced such poor work as in the software world.

With any other job they would be kicked out the door.

11. Rantam

Rantam Registered

Sadly problem persists with build 770. No matter if using x32 or x64 version :(