64 bit version of RF2 is critically needed now!

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Uzair, May 27, 2014.

1. Uzair

Uzair Registered

Tim, thanks for giving the official thumbs-up that 64-bit is needed. It is quite a dealbreaker as I see it, and I trust that your programmer colleagues are working on it right now. How difficult is it to convert the engine to 64-bit? How much time are you talking internally to when the stable 64-bit (beta) version will be released? As it stands now launching RF2 feels like a lottery with more than a few cars :rolleyes:

Oh, and again, awesome work on the recent cars and tracks. The detail level is amazing! :cool: I look forward to many hours with RF2 and more awesome content coming from you as well as the community.

2. Tiger

Tiger Registered

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I believe Jeremy said it on Twitter or here that it's being worked on but not to expect it anytime soon, or something a long those lines.

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

This patch doesn't allow more than 4GB.... It allows up to 4GB (3.7GB in reality). Most 32bit apps cap out at 2gb (1.6GB in reality). rF2 already has this flag set so it already exceeds the typical 2GB barrier.

6. Uzair

Uzair Registered

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Run HWINFO and MSI Afterburner ( see Pic below I have ram usage in AB graph )

http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

In sim turn off all sensors you do not need, there are too many.

Online pic shows RAM: (physical and virtual mb usage ) along with GPU temp, %= core usage, MEM: = vram mb usage ( normally I run GPU sensors only )

Mind you, rF2 usage below I had a crap load of stuff running in background.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2014
  8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

+1

Some older 32-bit programs had a RAM usage limit of 2 GB rather than 3.7/4 GB. Not sure how/why/when this whole 32-bit 2 GB to 3.7/4 GB transition happened or the general story behind it, but ya, what Noel said.

That program works great though for games like rFactor 1, GT Legends, Game Stock Car/Formula Truck (not sure if Reiza have implemented anything themselves but I use it just in case), etc. I think I also use it for some other very large demanding games like Supreme Commander 1 / Supreme Commander Forged Alliance, but can't remember for sure if that game is limited to 2 GB and therefore even needs it. Also, it's not needed for rFactor 2 as 32-bit rF2 has a 3.7/4 GB limit, rather than 2 GB like rF1/rF1 (and prior) based sims.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2014
  9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I never understood why games are limited to the amount of GPU VRAM when they can, and do, make use of the regular PC RAM. The only thing I can guess is that the VRAM is much faster since it's DDR5 instead of DDR3, and maybe less overhead as well, due to it being right on the GPU. Having said that though, just about every game does make use/takes up some of the PC's regular RAM. So, what determines which part of the game uses the regular PC RAM, and which part uses the GPU VRAM?

10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I have no idea of programming. However I can see that we have CPU and GPU that both do calculations. We also have RAM and VRAM that both store store things. I understand that task management and optimization is difficult since the balance between them in different systems is very different.

I don't know if some flexibility could be introduced in order to have different task assigning options. From what I understood from other posts, consoles had the advantage of a unique arquitecture to fit to.

Hopefully some kind of standards could be introduced depending of the needs to cover.

enviado mediante tapatalk

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

rF2 online + GTR Steam 100 cars, F1 Race and a heap of other stuff.

So much for 3.7GB limit

Bring it on, bring it on !!!!

lopl ;)

[​IMG]

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The limit is per process. No single 32bit process can go over 3.7GB. This doesn't mean your total usage can't go over 3.7GB.

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

...............like dur Noel

lool

14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Then what was your post for? Just to create confusion for others? Waste space? I don't understand the majority of your posts. Every one of them ends in lol or lopl so it isn't like we can differentiate between sarcasm or being serious.

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

IT WAS for a laugh a joke.

You know jokes.

Noel ..........watch for the lopl ( tongue in cheek )

All you do is try to make me look like dumb.

Post above that I offered how you can see ram usage in sim in reply to a question from Adrian..................... http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...!?p=282291&viewfull=1#post282291..........the thread had dropped off, needed humour.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2014
  16. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Click User

select: View Profile

select: Add to Ignore List

This makes your forum browsing a much more relaxing experience. I only have 2 on mine and he is half of them. I have never looked back :cool:

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Tell Guy I happy for him Noel.

Well my post here was pretty clear mate HWINFO and AB to a question asked

How can i see RAM usage.

I gave a good answer yet you continue with I don't understand the majority of your posts.

18. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I wish there was a blissful meditating emoticon in the lotus position

19. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yep.. That's all I do.

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yeah... I think these steps are long over do. Doing it now. :)

Okay... all done. First person to make it on an ignore list... on any forum. When 95% of someones posts are off topic and full of lol, lopl, lots of whitespace, misinformation, no information, ect ect... it's time to add them to the list.