Empty Box thoughts on indy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thrindil, May 26, 2014.

1. Thrindil

Thrindil Registered

I'd like to have some input from Tim on this.
    Why is the oval racing in rF2 so much different from the real world oval racing?

http://youtu.be/9wVQ9f5tXYc?a

2. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Distance. In real life, an oval race is more of an endurance event and fuel/tires are an issue. In real life, you have a limited supply of tires- in the game you don't. When you race Indy in a 50 mile race, it is a full-out sprint. The real Indy 500 is not a sprint and you have to conserve your car.

3. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

You don't have to be a real expert to be an expert on the internet. Congrats to Matt on having a successful (as far as sim racing goes) youtube channel but he is only exploiting the fact that it's quite popular to hate on rF2. A quick read on virtualR, Bsim racing, or the iracing forums(always common to have posts that realroad is scripted) will prove that. Anyway, why anybody cares that he loves to troll rF2 or cares what his opinion is, is beyond me. He said rF2 is the worst game in sim racing yet continues to try it? Carry on.

4. Twista

Twista Registered

His last video on the FR3.5 was glowing...

5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Passive aggressive ftw.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the guy is an idiot. Ban me for my opinion. :)

6. speed1

speed1 Banned

It is only frustration, actually they know it is the one with the most potential as a sim. Otherwise, why would anyone take the time when there is no intrest, no there is strong interest.

Which sim is like rf2 please, not a single one this date. This is like a small child is angry because it does not 100% correspond to his notions while it is actually the best but unable to see it.

7. PaulG

PaulG Registered

I think he's had a generally positive impression of late. Think he even called the kart possibly his favorite car in all of sims. So I doubt he's had positive things to say just so he could lay the "troll hammer" down as soon as the Indy content hit.

8. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Actually the guy seemed pretty excited before release and is just maybe dissappointed, I think some have this guy wrong, he supports all the sims as far as i see. Not watched the video, i prefer his sim racing 101 stuff to just some random lapping and rabbiting. He is Ok though and not making stuff for reactions like that Gamermuscle doughnut does. He gives good solid/constructive feedback in the threads as far as i see.

9. stonec

stonec Registered

Well I can only suggest you watch his full video. I feel that most of his critic regarding the oval racing is valid. I don't think the rearload buildup is necessarily the biggest issue, but the car is just a bit too fast in general, as has been concluded by many top sim racers. I am also much preferring the FR3.5, it's brilliant.

10. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

So the guy hops on a pubby and says that the race is boring. Next thing you know, he'll tell us the sun rises in the east. As for being too fast- where's the proof of this? Has anyone compared rF2 lap times with real quali times or run a 500 mile race and attempted to save fuel on a run? In the current online events, people are running quali laps not racing.

Montoya & Carpenter ran a 231 quali speed. I have hit 231 a couple times, but that's not a lap time, that was peak. Has anyone managed a 231 with rF2 yet?

11. Thrindil

Thrindil Registered

Because he has quite a big influence on the new members of the simracing community.
    In my opinion, he's the least biased simracing youtuber out there, with a honest opinion, based on facts and knowledge.
    Matt is an experienced simracer, and that's why a lot of people care about his opinion.

I just can't ignore the fact he brings up about the top speed on the ovals.
    There must be something wrong somewhere.

12. Golanv

Golanv Registered

My issues with the road spec Dallara is that there seems to be underlying TC there. No wheel spin after 1st gear, its like the engine runs out of torque when you hit the second.
    rF2 has been quite consistant with the "ice racing" feeling at low speeds, this car has grip everywhere. Not that its necessarily an issue, I just wonder why this car!?
    The car is extremely neutral, and easy to push hard on default setup, which again is very un-rF2 like, but fun for the driver.
    FFB is extremely soft in comparison to lets say the 2014 FR 3.5, its not numb, but it feels like there is quite low tire pressure and soft suspension settings. Again this isnt a problem, but not consistant with the ISI record when it comes to rF2.

I dont know much about oval behavior, and I didnt test this car on the oval yet, but I'd suspect it being quite sensitive thing to drive and low downforce is unforgiving when you lose it in RL.
    Realroad does need to get that damn slider for the rubber build up, just like tire wear has x1 x2 x3 etc... but I doubt that that is the root for the problems with this car.
    I was really hoping for a realistic Indycar oval experience, which is something I have never experienced in a sim (or RL lol), but there is alot saying the contrary, and I can really only rely on what people say and what I read about reallife racers saying about driving IMS with an indycar.

Tim said he aint 100% happy, and they are waiting for second data source to start making repairs, if the data is different.
    I suspect that there was a pressure to release this for indy500, and again, not like ISI to rush content just because.
    I'm sure eventually I will get my indy experience though, and it just going to be that much sweeter when rest of the oval stuff comes in.

About empty box, I like him for saying things as they are if he truly feels that way. All I want is him to start calling out rest of the YouTube dodos for crappy reviews and wrong opinions that give totally misinformation, like ISR these days, and he would jump up to the #2 spot of the tube sim ramblers (Nils gets my vote for #1 :p ).
    I dont agree with everything he says, and there is deffinetly emotion behind his statements. It really seems like he has great hopes for rF2 being the goto sim, but it just doesnt seem to kick over to that level, and that is what I can understand and relate to.
    As long as these folks doing this amateur sim journalism gets that, when they open their mouth, there is a responsibility to give facts, and anything else is to be stated as opinions and with rest of the mushy crap.
    On a general note (not targeted to Empty Box per se) Personally, I think the "i have right to my opinion" **** has gone too far, if your opinion sucks, just keep it to yourself or go review an ovenmit or something.
    90% of the opinions are just imbecils being wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014
  13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Tim has already stated the data they got was not encompassing ovals and it is being looked at to be updated. That video by EB has good feedback in the description tab, worth reading. Anyway, with regards to speed the issue seemed to be also the ability to run a full race on qualifying trim (pole was at 230mp/h average speed).

14. Twista

Twista Registered

He's as equally entitled to his opinion as you are.

15. c.pucher

c.pucher Registered

All cars up to the DW12 were released with a racey standard setup. Even the 2014 FR 3.5 came with a racey setup and a easy one to download. DW12 is the other way round. It comes with an easy setup and a racey one to download. Not saying this explains everything, but just something to keep in mind. Only tried the racey setup on a light rubbered Indy 2007 road course and had to be gentle in first and second gear.

16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

He's an idiot because he has an opinion? An opinion different to yours? Well cheers mate, you just took the prize... Wow.
    This is the internet at its finest...

17. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Ahh yes, I forgot with the 2 default setup policy we have these days.
    The FR is great with its "racey" setup, not a slip'n'slide in slow speeds and feels very natural to drive. Havent tried the "easy" setup since I didnt find need for it... but like the c6r, its horrible in slow speeds. I can have higher angles and more speed in corners with an SUV than that. High speeds, no problems.

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I listen to opinions good & bad there may be some good information in both of them,
    Although I really like this release & have voiced my concerns over grip levels,
    I thought it was a bit harsh of him to say it was on par with forza although I think I get the point he's trying to make

-the thing about the accelerated real road I keep hearing about -is this something that's going to be fixed?

I don't know enough about Indy to miss all the Indy elements ( 3 wide starts etc ) but surely this could be added later if there's enough demand

Tim has said this is 1st released ( & it being "rushed" a tad ) and an update on it is planned

p.s I spent 2 hours on the Iracing version earlier to compare -although it was the Indy old road config & their older Indy car (if it's ok to roughly compare) my verdict on the QUICK comparison below :

Iracing version although seems grippy, I could loose the car if I were disrespecting it
    eg if I tried to drive it like I would drive an arcade or "simcade" title, the back could start to step out under over acceleration whilst cornering etc ******it does feel in rf2 as if there are some mild aids in built which is not good making it feel like a simcade offering ( hurts me to write this ) which makes it fun for some for a while but in most cases it will not have a lasting & ongoing loyal user base

Iracing ffb although has some good aspects to it seems a tad bland compared to rf2 version

iracings static environment seems very disadvantaged (even with the refinements needed in the rf2 version) and takes away from the experience

I'm just starting to really prefer rf2 graphics all round and (although incomplete) reverb/deflecting sound effects
    (graphics on the ISI latest releases, looking forward to the updated older content although not sure how much better these will look)

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014
  19. fran_o

fran_o Registered

Passive aggressive ftw.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the guy is an idiot. Ban me for my opinion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+1;)

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

No it is frustration with themselves not the sim.

They do not know what they like and are happy with nothing.

+1